Catching a flight Ft. Lauderdale

cat55

We are going on the Sun out of Miami in Feb. Our tentative flight is out of Ft. Lauderdale airport. We are a little restricted on times and I was wondering if it would be feasible to catch a 12:15 flight. I was thinking if we took our own luggage off the cruise ship, it would be possible. If anyone has taken off their own luggage, about what time do you get off the ship? I know it is only about a 40 minute drive to Ft. Lauderdale from Miami. Thanks!

With a 12:15 flight out of Miami I'd be leery, but you have to get to Ft. Lauderdale. IF the ship gets in on time and you get off at normal time, say it's around 10:00. By the time you get your luggage etc., 10:30. You don't say how you're getting to Ft. Lauderdale, car, bus? Whichever, you have to wait for the bus or go and get your rental car, that takes you to (if you're lucky) 11:00. 40-45 minutes to Ft. Lauderdale takes you to 11:45, if it's smooth sailing, you don't hit lights, an accident, etc. You have 30 minutes to get your stuff checked in and get to your boarding gate, that's if you're the ONLY people in line and no one else is checking in at that time. Airports are packed on ship days, everyone else from your ship and several others are coming in and out.

So, personally, it wouldn't be enough time for me. I'd book a later flight, rent a car in Miami, go to Bayside Marketplace, maybe drive down South Beach a little, spend the day around there, then drive on up to Ft. Lauderdale at your leisure and catch a later flight.

If you're on restricted time and have to get back at a certain time, I'd still try to do a later flight, someone else may have done it before and say it's possible, but for me it would certainly cut it to close for comfort.

If you take your own luggage off the ship, you will be the first one off. So if the ship is on time and there are no customs delays, you will be fine. You have to register for the take your own luggage off the ship option while you are on board the ship.

I think we will take your advice and go with a later flight out. We would be saving a couple hundred dollars flying at the 12:30 time, but I am not sure if it is worth the aggravation. Maybe the rates will change in the next couple weeks too. They rates on the later flight were lower yesterday and I didn't make my reservation. Now today when I was ready to make the reservation they jumped up.:confused:

The rates fluctuate daily, just keep checking both FLL and MIA. Most times I've always been able to be very flexible and it's worth it sometimes (a $300. flight on a specific day as opposed to a $100. flight on another) to get a hotel room and stay over and just extend the vacation plus save money by doing so. But I know some can't do that and its just a matter of checking daily.

If you register on travelocity and set up a fare watcher alert, it will email you anytime there is a price change in a specific flight. You can put in both Miami and FLL, and anytime that price changes you'll get an email. I often look at both locations and sometimes I'll get 3-4 emails a day with changes! Good luck.

My general rule of thumb on catching flights after a cruise.

Pick a flight that's at least 4 hours after the published arrival time.

Note: I didn't write the time the ship normally docks.

If the cruise itinerary says a 9 am arrival, then book a flight no earlier than 1 pm. That's an hour to get off the ship, an hour for transist, and two hours at the airport.

Although ships most often dock well before the published times, it's been my experience the ship doesn't get the go ahead from Customs to start diesembarkation until the published time. Customs can clear the ship quickly, but it's not unusual for Customs to hold up the process for a long time.

Archived