Taxi transfers in San Juan

NancyA

I'm not sure if I'm hallucinating...did the taxi drivers go on strike in San Juan? icon_confused.gif I tried a search on line but couldn't find any info. If they are on strike,

I need to figure out how to get to the cruise terminal from the airport on June 6th. It's the first time we didn't buy the Princess transfers and a strike has to happen icon_rolleyes.gif

Is there another option to get to the ship?

Appreciate your help.

Nancy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

I found some info on the strike.

I pulled this off the AP from May 5th:

"TAXI STRIKE STRANDS TOURISTS AT AIRPORT

SAN JUAN -- Hundreds of taxi drivers went on strike for a third consecutive day Wednesday, leaving thousands of travelers seeking alternate means of transportation.

Some tourists who arrived at San Juan's Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport had up to three-hour waits to get to their hotels or other destinations."

Does anyone know if it is resolved? Those of you that sailed last week, were they still on strike on Sunday?

Thanks again,

Nancy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

We went thru SJU on the two Sundays (the 2nd and the 9th) and we didn't see any cabs on strike. We had to wait about 5 minutes for a cab when leaving the airport on the 2nd but that was because there was at least 20 groups waiting for cabs. On the way back, we didn't wait at all. There were TONS of cabs available both dates. Hopefully when you get there you won't have any problems either.

The strike was over by the weekend. Sadly, the taxi drivers go on strike alot. Not to worry, though, the tourism board can help you get transportation if there is another strike. It is still better to take taxis than the transfers.

Thanks for everyone's responses...

it is so great to have answers from people with first hand knowledge.

That's what I love about these boards!

Looks like we shouldn't have any problems.

June 6-Golden

Archived