Upgrade Fairy Made a Call....Had to Decline

DH30

My TA called me last night and informed me that Carnival had e-mailed her to offer an upgrade from my Main Deck Oceanview specific room reservation had been upgraded to a Balcony (I think she said 8 something).:D :D I had to call her this morning and politely decline.:( :( This is our first cruise and my wife is paranoid about sea sickness so we booked a specific room as low and as close to the center of the ship as possible and my wife does not want to move up, back, or forward. I tried to talk her into it, but I would rather be in that room and have a good time than be in a balcony and have my wife sick.:rolleyes:

You probably made the right choice. If the cabin was aft, you would have been under the action on the Lido Deck. I don't have personal experience, but rumor has it that it can be quite noisey for the light sleepers.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'm a cruising rookie, so I may have trouble with sea sickness, but I think it is possible that some seasickness could be in a person's head. I am thinking that if we both enjoy this cruise, have little or no problem with sea sickness, then on our next cruise I can talk her into a balcony.

DH, there is probably a poll here somewhere, but I'd bet the majority of people have never been seasick on a massive cruiseship. I guess if you get motion sick in cars, trucks, RV's, etc., you are one of those people who is prone to seasickness, but I hear so few people actually claim to have gotten sick on a megaship. There probably isn't nearly as much motion on a ship as you would expect, and some of us find any gently rocking motion to put us right to sleep. If your wife is really concerned, it's probably best that she stay in the cabin in which SHE FEELS the most comfortable. I'd never say a condition is all in someone's mind, but being relaxed and comfortable can only help.

DH, there is probably a poll here somewhere, but I'd bet the majority of people have never been seasick on a massive cruiseship. I guess if you get motion sick in cars, trucks, RV's, etc., you are one of those people who is prone to seasickness, but I hear so few people actually claim to have gotten sick on a megaship. There probably isn't nearly as much motion on a ship as you would expect, and some of us find any gently rocking motion to put us right to sleep. If your wife is really concerned, it's probably best that she stay in the cabin in which SHE FEELS the most comfortable. I'd never say a condition is all in someone's mind, but being relaxed and comfortable can only help.

I agree that she will probably be fine. Motion sickness is like other things...people do not remember the hundreds of people who they have talked to and never got sick....but they do remember the thee or so that they talked to who did get sick. I agree with you that not all people get sea sick from being worried about getting sea sick.....only some. I know that I can get car sick, but only if someone else is driving and I am nervous about their driving.

I have to agree that one can definitely "go with the motion" instead of letting it get to you. The reason I say this is: I am VERY prone to motion sickness, even more so on amusement rides that go in a circular pattern. But, on a cruise, unless there are extremely rough seas, I've learned to kind of relax and "ride the waves", so to speak. I just let myself move along with the motion of the ship instead of fighting it. Most of the time it's been short-lived, anyway. But, it used to be I couldn't do that. I immediately let myself feel sick. Some of it has to do with having been on more cruises and acclimating quicker. My first two cruises we ran into very rough seas ( a storm without rain). But I wasn't prepared either time. Also, I was naive about cabin location and took cabin # 01 which was as forward as you can get. That was NOT a good place to be when the ship was pitching wildly up and down all night. To this day, I try to stay midship and never on the highest deck where one does tend to sway more.

I'm a cruising rookie, so I may have trouble with sea sickness, but I think it is possible that some seasickness could be in a person's head. I am thinking that if we both enjoy this cruise, have little or no problem with sea sickness, then on our next cruise I can talk her into a balcony.

You definitely made the right decision. We took an upgrade to a cat 12 from an OV on the Elation this summer and unfortunately had to book a cat 11 on our upcoming Conquest cruise in July. :D Lots more $$$$$$ than a simple balcony or OV. :eek: Take some ginger pills and bonine (non drowsy formular) and have a great time! None of us got motion sickness--even with rough seas due to Hurricane Emily...and my 12 looks out a car window and looses it!:)

Archived