Blue Lagoon Island is Closed

abitaturbodog

What? Is this true? The beach isn't opened, but the Dolphin Encounter is? My friend and I are going to the Bahamas in less than 3 weeks, and we had planned to go to the Blue Lagoon Island. We weren't planning on doing the Dolphin Encounter.

What? Is this true? The beach isn't opened, but the Dolphin Encounter is? My friend and I are going to the Bahamas in less than 3 weeks, and we had planned to go to the Blue Lagoon Island. We weren't planning on doing the Dolphin Encounter.

Well this stinks :(

I too am going to Nassau in 2 weeks, what a drag

Well this stinks :(

I too am going to Nassau in 2 weeks, what a drag

I just called the number for Nassau Cruises. The lady I spoke with said that they will be doing the day trips for Blue Lagoon up until Monday and it will no longer be available after that:(

Yep, dolphin encounter open but everything else "closed". I am cruising Nov 17-20 and it will be closed then too, according to the lady there I spoke to.

I was booked to take the Blue Lagoon excursion next Friday. I noticed on Carnival's shore excursion site that it was no longer listed, but my cruise reservation shows I am still booked for it. This was my favorite shore excursion and basically the only reason we booked this cruise. Disappointed doesn't begin to describe how I feel. :(

Here's the scoop. Nassau Cruises, which runs the tour to Blue Lagoon, leased ferries from a company who used the docks at PI Ferry Terminal, since Atlantis purchased the docks, (as well as the adjacent Hurricane Hole Marina) Nassau Cruises can no longer use the docks for loading and unloading passengers. The boats are now being used as ferries.

Atlantis has nearly completed it's own Dolphin Encounter in the harbour just opposite the cruise ships (where's our animal rights group???), which should be operational within the next 3 months. This will effectively put the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter out of business, since their boats leave from the Paradise Island Docks now owned by Atlantis.

Nassau Cruises is trying to regroup, but there is really no convienient docking for them. They would have to shuttle people from the hotels. (paying Atlantis to enter Paradise Island for pickup), thus adding even more time to the already long trip out to Blue Lagoon.

There's also some construction work going on out at Blue Lagoon, not sure what that will be in the future.

For the time being, you''re options are using Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island, British Colonial Beach ($15), Lighthouse Beach in Nassau, or take a jitney to Cable Beach.

You can also take a tour to either Pearl Island or Blackbeards Cay. Both have beaches, stingrays, daiguiri bars and outdoor grill.

Since Atlantis has recently purchased the last few acres of beachfront on Cabbage Beach, we''re unsure just how long non-guests will be allowed access to the beach. Seems Mr. Kerzner is looking to take control of everything coming and going on "his island".

Personally, I'm hoping "his Island" sinks.

I have just booked the Dolphin Encounter through our cruise ship RCCL. You seem to think that the Blue lagoon Encounter is under threat. What do you think the alternative would be ie would Atlantis sell excursions to the cruise ships. While I realize that you do not have a crystal ball I would value your opinion on what you might expect to happen:confused: .

Atlantis has nearly completed it's own Dolphin Encounter in the harbour just opposite the cruise ships (where's our animal rights group???), which should be operational within the next 3 months. This will effectively put the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter out of business, since their boats leave from the Paradise Island Docks now owned by Atlantis.

Since Atlantis has recently purchased the last few acres of beachfront on Cabbage Beach, we''re unsure just how long non-guests will be allowed access to the beach. Seems Mr. Kerzner is looking to take control of everything coming and going on "his island".

This is too bad......this sort of heavy-handedness by a big company putting the little guy out of business is distasteful. (Just like Wal-mart here in the US, I won't set foot in their stores either since I disagree with their business practices.) I can't imagine Nassau Cruises does enough business in a YEAR to compete with Atlantis profits in one day.

It would seem that the harbour water would be pretty polluted and not good for either dolphins OR guests.....what genius thought THAT one up? Not to mention all the engine noise in the water causing them distress. I would not go to the Atlantis dolphin exhibit.....if you believe they are sentient and special creatures why would you want to see them in such conditions? We saw a lot of dolphins in the wild on my trip to the Family Islands. That was pretty special when they came up to us of their own accord. I much prefer that sort of interaction.

This is too bad......this sort of heavy-handedness by a big company putting the little guy out of business is distasteful. (Just like Wal-mart here in the US, I won't set foot in their stores either since I disagree with their business practices.) I can't imagine Nassau Cruises does enough business in a YEAR to compete with Atlantis profits in one day.

It would seem that the harbour water would be pretty polluted and not good for either dolphins OR guests.....what genius thought THAT one up? Not to mention all the engine noise in the water causing them distress. I would not go to the Atlantis dolphin exhibit.....if you believe they are sentient and special creatures why would you want to see them in such conditions? We saw a lot of dolphins in the wild on my trip to the Family Islands. That was pretty special when they came up to us of their own accord. I much prefer that sort of interaction.

Coudn't agree more that is why I hope the cruise company's do not sell their ( Atlantis) excursions. Do they not need planning permission over there. I can't see anything like that getting the go ahead here in Scotland due to the pollution etc.

Coudn't agree more that is why I hope the cruise company's do not sell their ( Atlantis) excursions. Do they not need planning permission over there. I can't see anything like that getting the go ahead here in Scotland due to the pollution etc.

I thought that too but I suspect that the Atlantis resort brings in enough money that any Gov't permissions needed are just a formality. :( Unfortunately money talks. Very sad for the poor people who invested so much into building a business only to have it torpedoed like that.

• 1 month later...
Here's the scoop. Nassau Cruises, which runs the tour to Blue Lagoon, leased ferries from a company who used the docks at PI Ferry Terminal, since Atlantis purchased the docks, (as well as the adjacent Hurricane Hole Marina) Nassau Cruises can no longer use the docks for loading and unloading passengers. The boats are now being used as ferries.

Nassau Cruises is trying to regroup, but there is really no convienient docking for them. They would have to shuttle people from the hotels. (paying Atlantis to enter Paradise Island for pickup), thus adding even more time to the already long trip out to Blue Lagoon.

There's also some construction work going on out at Blue Lagoon, not sure what that will be in the future.

Has anyone heard anything else on this??? We had already booked a dolphin swim directly with Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter for June 2006. I have sent them an e-mail inquiring about their plans, but haven't heard anything back yet.:eek:

I would be very interested to hear when they reply to your e mail as I was about to mail them myself. I have booked the Encounter through R.C.I. I will e mail Dolphin Encounters to day and if and when I get a reply I will post it. Scubagirll may have a better idea of what is going on.:confused:

For the time being, you''re options are using Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island, British Colonial Beach ($15), Lighthouse Beach in Nassau, or take a jitney to Cable Beach.

You can also take a tour to either Pearl Island or Blackbeards Cay. Both have beaches, stingrays, daiguiri bars and outdoor grill.

Scubagirl,

You didn't mention the trip to Rose Island which I am set to go on in a couple of weeks. Do yo know anything about this tour? It's with Sea Island adventures. I'd like to hear more about it, although I'm booked already anyway. I plan on doing a review when I get back. It might be a nice alternative for some. It sounds like a great day...we'll see.

alphakitty

Scubagirl,

You didn't mention the trip to Rose Island which I am set to go on in a couple of weeks. Do yo know anything about this tour? It's with Sea Island adventures. I'd like to hear more about it, although I'm booked already anyway. I plan on doing a review when I get back. It might be a nice alternative for some. It sounds like a great day...we'll see.

alphakitty

Rose Island is near Blue Lagoon, but they are seperate and independent island. Rose Island is much less commercial and has wonderful snorkeling from the beach. The Sea Island Adventure and Robinson Crusoe tours are the only tours I know of that give you a day at the beach. (Sea Island is my favorite). Both tours include a native lunch, since there are no facilities on the island. There's a small souvenier shop and rustic bar near the Sea Island Beach, but none at the beach the Robinson Crusoe Crew uses. Outdoor showers and rustic bathrooms. No fresh water.

This is a very laid back day... a favorite of mine.

This is an all day tour... too long for some cruisers.

Other tours, such as Flying Cloud, Barefoot Cruises and Seahorse sometimes come into the beach nearby for an hour of relaxation. But they use several locations depending on the weather, tide etc.

Heres' the view from the beach.

RoseIslandView_4.jpg

hi, does the sea island excurrison include food? also how far off the beach are the reefs? what is the deph of the water there? how big is the beach? does the price include drinks? can you rent water toys, kayaks , rafts, etc. is there any shady areas?

hi how long does it take to get to rose island? does the price include food, drinks, water toys , kayaks, rafts, beach chairs. how far off shore are the reefs for snorkling. how deep is the water there? are there any shady areas?

Rose Island is just east of Blue Lagoon Island and takes about the sames time to get there. (about 40 mins.). The all day tour includes native lunch, (ribs, chicken, salads, cheese, hot dogs for the kids etc. I believe it includes a fruit punch and wine. I recommend you bring along some rum to jazz up the punch. Kayaks and paddle boats are available on the beach for free. Chairs and hammocks line the beach. Plenty of shady areas. The reef is only 20 /30 feet of so from shore.. depending on the tide.

Rose Island is near Blue Lagoon, but they are seperate and independent island. Rose Island is much less commercial and has wonderful snorkeling from the beach. The Sea Island Adventure and Robinson Crusoe tours are the only tours I know of that give you a day at the beach. (Sea Island is my favorite). Both tours include a native lunch, since there are no facilities on the island. There's a small souvenier shop and rustic bar near the Sea Island Beach, but none at the beach the Robinson Crusoe Crew uses. Outdoor showers and rustic bathrooms. No fresh water.

This is a very laid back day... a favorite of mine.

This is an all day tour... too long for some cruisers.

Other tours, such as Flying Cloud, Barefoot Cruises and Seahorse sometimes come into the beach nearby for an hour of relaxation. But they use several locations depending on the weather, tide etc.

thanks scubagirrl! I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I am really looking forward to our day there. Great pic too! :)

Archived