Packing for Norwegian fjords?

My 13 year old and I are going on HAL Koningsdam on Sunday, June 12th for the fjords (7 day Norse legends). I would love any suggestions on what to pack, especially for sight seeing and excursions. We are starting in Amsterdam, which is fairly warm, but heading as far north as Alesund. I'm thinking a rain jacket (is this necessary), fleece jacket. What about waterproof boots?

We came off the Rotterdam on Saturday after a fortnight along the Norwegian Coast.

We had several days when I was just wearing shirt sleeves.

Normally I take a fleece and a light cagoule. This time I compromised and took a mid weight Goretex with an insulating layer. I wore that a couple of times when we near the North Cape and on a trip up the mountain at Geiranger. That trip was in the morning - walking round the lake in the afternoon it was back to a short sleeved shirt.

Waterproof boots are unlikely to be required.

You aren't going up to the North Cape area, so gloves, scarves etc won't be needed.

However, a water proof jacket will be. It's sort of like Alaska. One day you could be in short sleeves and the next in a sweatshirt and rain parka. We were lucky and had sunny skies and warmth.

Pack for late spring. Carry back packs to store jacket or sweater as it will warm up during the day you are out and about. IF you have any water excursions, those will be cooler. Just pack layers.

You aren't going up to the North Cape area, so gloves, scarves etc won't be needed.

However, a water proof jacket will be. It's sort of like Alaska. One day you could be in short sleeves and the next in a sweatshirt and rain parka. We were lucky and had sunny skies and warmth.

Pack for late spring.(55-72) Carry back packs to store jacket or sweater as it will warm up during the day you are out and about. IF you have any water excursions, those will be cooler. Just pack layers. In our pictures, we are most often in cotton t shirts with our jackets tied around our waists.;)

It's beautiful up there. have a great time.

Mid weight jacket & fleece is ideal. You need layers as it could be shirt sleeves weather or wet or windy, all in one day. Generally temps will range from 11-24°, cooler usually in the north, but not guaranteed as the gulf stream/ Na drift keep it milder than latitude would suggest . Weather will and can rapidly change here and morning/ evenings can be cool.

No need for waterproof boots unless you are intending to do some serious hiking, but unlikely from a cruise as not time.

Good advice in Europe is be able to use °C temps and know their values as°F if you must convert as all weather data on TV, papers, ship will be in °C across all Europe.

We also just returned from the Rotterdam (May21-June 4) and layers are the best suggestion! We had beautiful weather but a rain jacket or gore-tex is a must. We did use our gore-tex and fleece in the mornings when it was cool and some days windy but shedded them by the afternoon when it warmed up! No boots were necessary but we had no rainy days ashore (waterproof shoes for rain might be a good idea).

The ship itself was frequently cool so a sweater or wrap on board is a good idea!

I'm packing as we are leaving on Thursday and we are spending 3 nights in Copenhagen, 2 nights in Oslo and then fly to Hamburg to board our ship which travels all the way up to Honningsvag. I am packing most long sleeve t-shirt type stuff--I figure I can push them up for short sleeve if need be. I am still packing a few short sleeve shirts--the weather everywhere has been awesome the past 1.5 weeks. I'm praying. We're also bringing our fleece coats and a rain coat to go over that. Since we'll be up farther north I have packed a couple sweaters also. It's hard packing all this in one suitcase. I had bought water shoes but I got a feeling they are going to stay home. Just no room for them. I think what I'm going to do is go buy some waterproofing spray and spray our shoes. Have fun!!!

Linda