Beach in Belize w/ 3year old

pdxmichelle

Caye Caulker has a very nice beach but has something called the split with deeper water.. Anyway if you really want a nice beach there is one in the city at this place called Cucumber Beach and Marina otherwise known as Old Belize, it has a great museum and a nice restaurant and it is a nice place to spend the day. The beach is great and the water is shallow for a while and then it gets deeper... There are life gaurds at hand too.

the food is good and the place is nice what more can you ask for and it is reasonably priced. :):):)

There is another beach that opened recently. It is called Bannister Caye. They have a website http://www.bannisterisland.com. This island beach is very family friendly and different than any other beach in Belize. I saw Caye Caulker and Cumcumber mentioned as well.

Cucumber is a nice area, but not a "beach" like I'm sure you are looking for (with all the beach activities). There are other things there like a museum, gift shop, and restaurant. But you asked about a beach for a 3 year old....I think this area is more for adults.

Caye Caulker is a nice resort island with some smaller/quiet beaches. It also give you the opportunity to visit some Belize culture as you make your way around the island (by golf cart is my recommendation). This island has Belize residents and many hotels, restaurants, shops, and other tourist related establishments. A great place to visit to experience Belize.

Banister Caye is simply a great beach for everyone. With all the activities, the bar and restaurant, huge beach and swimming area, kids playground, etc., you won't find another like it in Belize (in my opinion).

It really depends on what you are looking for as far as activities and price. If your only goal is to satify the 3 year old, a bucket, shovel and sand anywhere can usually do the trick. Mom and Dad need to enjoy the day too :)

Paul,

Thanks for the info.

With regards to Caye Caulker - I was planning on taking the water taxi there. Do you suggest I rent a golf cart? How far is Caye Caulker from the ship terminal? Is it pretty safe to take the cart there? Thanks.

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

No Problem. I didn't realize what ship you were on until I looked at your "signature". It looks like you will be on the NCL Dawn which arrives in Belize on a Saturday. That being the case, the Water Taxi may be you only means to get to Caye Caulker. Because you are in port from 7am to 6pm, you can do this. Other ships that arrive earlier and leave earlier make the water taxi option difficult.

The Water Taxi Terminal is down the street from the Tourism Village. You can walk out of the village at any terminal, but Terminal 4 is best. You go left and walk about 2 blocks down Fort Street. When a ship is in port, the street is quite busy so you are safe.

The taxi schedule can be found at:

http://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/pages/2/index.htm

The water taxi ride is about 50 minutes. When you arrive on Caye Caulker, you are in the center of town. I would recommend a golf cart to get around to see the island. The cost around $12 per hour and seat 4. You can ask at the taxi terminal on Caye Caulker for directions to the nearest golf cart rental. You won't need it for the entire time as you can scout out the beach you want to hang our on and do your sightseeing with the cart....just a suggestion.

The island is VERY safe. You will see mostly tourist walking about. The locals you will see live/work on the island. Everyone knows each other and it is very friendly. You will have many restaurants to choose from for lunch.

Hope this helps.

Archived