Please help me plan excursions!

Me and my husband are from the north of Sweden and just in the middle of planning our first cruise ever, celebrating his 50th anniversary in December on the NCL Getaway from Miami Dec 4, 2016. Ihave tried to read here and there on this website but I haven't found an exact answer of my question. I hope someone who has done the same trip can give some advise!

We will be visiting Roatan, Harvest Cay, Costa Maya and Cozumel and I want to do these thing, but don't know what to on on which Island.

1. One Mayan-tour

2. One beach day where you can walk by yourself and not attend a (payed) excursion.

3. Just stroll in the harbour, maybe visit a market and shop some souvenirs and spend some time on the ship aswell

4. Something else

Thanks in advance

Jessica

Me and my husband are from the north of Sweden and just in the middle of planning our first cruise ever, celebrating his 50th anniversary in December on the NCL Getaway from Miami Dec 4, 2016. Ihave tried to read here and there on this website but I haven't found an exact answer of my question. I hope someone who has done the same trip can give some advise!

We will be visiting Roatan, Harvest Cay, Costa Maya and Cozumel and I want to do these thing, but don't know what to on on which Island.

1. One Mayan-tour

2. One beach day where you can walk by yourself and not attend a (payed) excursion.

3. Just stroll in the harbour, maybe visit a market and shop some souvenirs and spend some time on the ship aswell

4. Something else

Thanks in advance

Jessica

Harvest Cay is a private island, there's your beach day. Both Costa Maya and Cozumel have tours to Mayan ruins, the ship in Cozumel docks at Punta Langosta, and at the end of the port, there's a mall. In Costa Maya, there are local crafts shops set up. If you're interested in fishing, look up fishingcozumel.net - small group fishing boats. I used them, absolutely recommend them. If you catch anything, they'll take you to Margaritaville where the chef will cook your catch. There's nothing quite like fresh fish.

I am going to choose Costa Maya as my ruins tour day, for two reasons:

1. There is a highly recommended third party company here called Native Choice.

2. There are too many OTHER things to do in Cozumel, whereas that seems to be the highlight of Costa Maya.

In Cozumel, it was a tough choice for me between the submarine ride and the sailboat regatta, but I am going to choose the sailboat.

In Costa Maya we loved our The Native Choice Chaccoben ruins tour. Very professional company and great day.

In Roatan we loved Victor Bodden fun & sun tour. Another great day and company. Beautiful island tour, birds, monkeys...., and beautiful beach stop.

In Cozumel we shopped ( be prepared to barter for best price.

We did Belize city- not Harvest cay.

Check on trip advisor - great info there about ports and tours. Also look here at the port of call boards.

Enjoy

Safe sailing

Edited by spidybabe

1. One Mayan-tour

4. Something else

Thanks in advance

Jessica

We have done this itinerary a number of times, with the exception of Harvest Cay, which did not exist last time we did the cruise.

My feeling is that your only Mayan ruins option is Costa Maya. There are some other posters who have given info about that. Doing ruins from Cozumel involves a long ferry ride back to the mainland and back to Cozumel which takes up a lot of your day. Also, Costa Maya has a small shopping area right at the port dock, with all the standard stores in it. But you may just prefer to sit down with a cold beer at one of the restaurants there once you're back from your tour.

One of our favorite beaches is Tabyana beach on Roatan. This is a beautiful white sand beach, and there are wonderful reefs to snorkel on that you can just swim out to from the beach. You can take a package tour there which would include the snorkel gear, drinks and lunch. Or you can just hire a taxi in the port and have them take you there, bringing your own snorkel gear and drinks. If you don't want to snorkel, you can just lie on the beach and enjoy..there are vendors with drinks and bars and cafes nearby. Your choice.

By default, that leaves Cozumel as your "wander the shops" port. There are plenty of shops right there at the port, but you'd do better to walk into town or take a taxi, and wander there. Stop for a margarita and some Mexican food too. Just be aware that the shop owners and employees are extremely persistent in trying to get you to come in, browse and buy. But it's like that all over the Caribbean too. Bargaining is the only way to shop. Never ever take the first price offered. Be prepared to walk away, and you will always get a second or third offer on price. Never feel pressured to buy. Believe me, there will be a shop just next door with the same items for sale.

Finally, you have Harvest Cay as a second and very laid back beach stop.

Edited by VideoTech

Would suggest that you go to the roll call for your cruise. You may be able to share a guided tour with some other folks on your cruise. In Rotan we picked the last cab in line and asked him to give us a tour like we were his old high school friend who just returned to town. We got a great, personal tour.:)