Food allergy on Escape

LovetheCubs

Looking at booking another trip on the Escape with our kids this time though. Our daughter has a milk and gluten allergy. She is only 4 so she isn't going to eat adult type food. Anyone have any experience with food allergies onboard? We are planning on booking a Haven room so most of our meals will probably be in the Haven restaurant but will branch out especially if it will make her eating better! Thanks in advance!

There was a recent review that had some great insight into the handling of a food allergy while on board, which included lessons learned based on the feedback of others. Unfortunately, I can't find it - maybe someone else can track it down.

Search this forum for "gluten" or "allergy", and you'll find lots of threads on how to deal with it. I believe you can contact NCL ahead of time, as well as meet with the maitre-d at each dining venue.

Seems like some good info here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2361037

Of course you should contact your TA or NCL and advise them of the special dietary need for you daughter. However, both my wife and youngest child have allergies to nuts. While my wife also has shellfish, dairy & soy.

Even though there will be many choices, cross contamination especially at the buffet is a risk. YOU, have to be her advocate even though it will be indicated on your reservation. You just need to let your headwaiter and staff know at every meal (just to add that extra layer of protection).

I do know that the menus did have gluten free choices labeled at the restaurants. I do not recall this being the case for the buffet area, but I'm probably wrong, since I had no need to reason to check for that.

But I promise you, your little one will have plenty to eat. And, they had Plain and flavored soy milk available everyday.

But, many people bring there own soy milk just in case.

I hope this helps you.

Enjoy the Haven (snob)[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My son has nut and shellfish allergies. What we did on the first day was to meet with the Maitre D and discuss the food. We ordered his food for that evening then, and they make sure to put an allergy ticket on it. When we showed up for dinner that evening, we just told the waiter about the pre-ordered meal. Gave her our cabin number and his food shows up. Each night, we asked the AMD for the next night's menus, and pre-ordered the food. The AMDs are very knowledgeable about the offerings and the ingredients, and if they aren't sure, they will go and ask the chef.

At the buffet (where we ate lunch and breakfast every day), we would have a chef walk us down the line and point out what to avoid. When in doubt, ask. As others have said, the risk of cross contamination is very high on the buffet, because of other passengers scooping out food with the spoon from the next dish, etc.

Since you are in the Haven, you will probably eat there most nights and they will get to know you and accommodate you. If you decide to go to a specialty restaurant, I would look at the menus in advance and discuss with the host there and pre-order her food to make sure she can eat it. Because if you tell them about it right then and there, it could take longer because they would have to prepare or modify the dish right then, instead of having it mostly prepared in advance and just warmed up.

At the buffet (where we ate lunch and breakfast every day), we would have a chef walk us down the line and point out what to avoid. When in doubt, ask. As others have said, the risk of cross contamination is very high on the buffet, because of other passengers scooping out food with the spoon from the next dish, etc.

Also, get to know the assistant Maitre D at a couple of the restaurants, they also serve as area heads for the buffet. We would then look for the name of the same person who worked with us at dinner the night before and sit in their area of the buffet. It was great because for example my daughter wanted pancakes which were being served next to a banana caramel sauce (she is 5 years old allergic to latex, banana, avocado, kiwi and chestnut). She stopped him as he walked by and asked for pancakes that weren't on the buffet line. He went and got fresh ones for her without the cross contamination issues. This was on the getaway during spring break it was incredibly crowded.

I have a severe lactose allergy. I find the buffet the easiest place to eat in part because of the action stations. For example in the morning I have 2 fresh eggs made with just ham. Milk is fairly easy to avoid at the buffet. Gluten is more difficult. When in doubt ask. If the cooks don't know they will get a chef for you. I know in the past at the pasta station there was gluten free pasta available to be made.

At Blue Lagoon/ O'Sheenan's I get the grilled chicken sandwich without the buns. I ask for 2 plain grilled chicken breasts and they grill fresh chicken for me.

Unfortunately with FDR "improving" the food I am seeing more items at the buffet with sauces and spices. Sauces are especially difficult because the sauce may have gluten or lactose in it.

My son has nut and shellfish allergies. What we did on the first day was to meet with the Maitre D and discuss the food. We ordered his food for that evening then, and they make sure to put an allergy ticket on it. When we showed up for dinner that evening, we just told the waiter about the pre-ordered meal. Gave her our cabin number and his food shows up. Each night, we asked the AMD for the next night's menus, and pre-ordered the food. The AMDs are very knowledgeable about the offerings and the ingredients, and if they aren't sure, they will go and ask the chef.

Since you are in the Haven, you will probably eat there most nights and they will get to know you and accommodate you. If you decide to go to a specialty restaurant, I would look at the menus in advance and discuss with the host there and pre-order her food to make sure she can eat it. Because if you tell them about it right then and there, it could take longer because they would have to prepare or modify the dish right then, instead of having it mostly prepared in advance and just warmed up.

Blackwing is correct. My mom has a severe salt restriction and other than the first day you can pre-order the next day's meals. With the concierge service you'll have no issues. The only time we found it most difficult was at the buffet but the staff is nice and I have even asked if they could prepare plain pasta with grilled veggies and they told me to come back in 5 mins and when I did they brought out the freshly prepared salt free dish.! Just be prepared to tip the maitre d that works with you throughout the cruise.