How SAFE are the safes in the cabins?

CatskillsMom

This may be a ridiculous concern BUT here goes;

How do the safes work? Do you choose a combination of your own? Do you get a key? Do you bring your own lock? Basically, I am wondering how secure they are whether it be from fellow cruise passengers or unscrupulous cruise staff. I guess it's the NY'er in me!

I appreciate everyone who has been answering all my questions, no matter how lame they may seem.:)

I've always felt they were "safe". There are several different types, it depends which ship you are on. There are ones that you actually use the credit card of your choice to open the safe, and ones where you pick your own combination.

No need to bring a lock, or carry around a safe key...

Which ship are you cruising on?

:)

Michele,

I'm not sure about Spirit, but if it's Dawn, it's electronically controlled. The safe will be open when you get to the cabin (mine was in the closet, they usually are). You program it with a four digit code of your choice, and enter that code every time you want to open the safe. When you want to lock the safe, there's a button to press to lock it (compare all of this to a keypad on a microwave, that's what it is like). I would guess the Spirit is similar, since the other three ships I've been on all had the same sort of thing. If there is any sort of problem getting into the safe or locking it (happened to me once), maintenance will be up in a jiffy to adjust things for you. Very, very safe (excuse the pun), I kept all my jewelry, cash and important documents in there without worrying. And I'm a born and bred New York City girl!;)

Hope this helps,

Robin

CatskillsMom,

On our last cruise on the Dawn we had 2 safes in our cabin. One worked and the other had a few problems. We called the desk and they sent a Security Officer with an electronic device. He said it's the only thing that can open the safe without your code. Our problem was it kept losing our code. After two times we used one safe.

We have felt safe using them.

Happy Sailing

Archived