Credit Card Holds/Gratuities

ReneeFS

Hello Fellow Cruisers!

I am really excited about going on the Carnival Vista cruise which leaves Athens in about a week! I'm a teacher who has been saving pennies and dimes for this trip and I have read through the policy on gratuities (which is $120 for a 10 day cruise-which I am perfectly fine with). I have also read that they will put a $200 hold on your credit card. I know upfront I won't be charging my Sail and Sign Card. Will the gratuities fee of $120 come out of the $200 hold or is it separate?

I'm exploring a few options as well, and please tell me if I am allowed to do it:

1. I would like to go ahead and pay the $120 gratuity fee when I arrive at the port through a debit card. Then maybe I will put a litle tiny bit of cash on the room key card they issue us.

2. I would let them charge $200 and hope gratuities come out of that?

Any help or advice would be great! I would just hate to be charged with a huge hold when I could be using that money at each of the ports! :)

They put holds on debit cards too. You are able to put a cash deposit on your account and if there is a credit balance at the end of the cruise it is refunded to you before you disembark. If it turns out you need to add additional funds to your account it can be done at the guest services desk or at one of the machines located throughout the ship