First Disney Cruise Booked Semi-Last Minute

tellmelies

Hey y'all!

We just booked a Disney Dream cruise for the 15th of August. It was a last minute decision...our daughter picked a Disney cruise for her high school graduation trip. : )

Anyway, does anyone have any pointers or advice for us? We'll be traveling as a family of four, and our kids are a 12 year old boy and and our 18 year old daughter.

I'm guessing there's NO WAY we can get a cabana at Castaway Cay at this point? : )

Any pointers or advice will be greatly appreciated! (I have been reading blogs and such posted on Pinterest, but I just feel overwhelmed and feel like I'm rushing to get everything figured out.)

There is always the possibility of a cabana. At this time it is a matter of being the first one to click on it if someone cancels one. That said, I probably did 15 wonderful trips to Castaway Cay before the cabanas were built. It is NOT necessary for a good day.

You are aware that your 18 year old is an "adult" by DCL rules. The only time she will be able to hang with the 12 year old in any of the programming areas is during "open house" hours. Your 12 year old will not be welcome in any "adult only" space or activity.

DCL is easy. Really. People spend tons of time reading and preparing and that's great...but not necessary.

The Art of the Theme Ship Tour on embarkation day is worth doing. You'll learn a lot of fun facts about the ship as well as have a good tour.

4 days is way too short. You can't do it all. Don't try. Read the Navigator and decide what is important to you. Save the rest for a future cruise.

Hit us with any specific questions. You have some real experts on these boards who are happy to try to help.

Have you read the tips and tricks thread yet? There's some useful info there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352238

ex techie

I recognized your name immediately, as I saw where you had a TON of information in the 'tips and tricks' thread. Your like a Disney cruise pro! ; ) I'm still reading through them, but yes, very insightful.

Can you answer this for me? If we're staying in Orlando at the Shades of Green in Orlando, can we get on a Disney bus from there for port transportation?

There is always the possibility of a cabana. At this time it is a matter of being the first one to click on it if someone cancels one. That said' date=' I probably did 15 wonderful trips to Castaway Cay before the cabanas were built. It is NOT necessary for a good day.

You are aware that your 18 year old is an "adult" by DCL rules. The only time she will be able to hang with the 12 year old in any of the programming areas is during "open house" hours. Your 12 year old will not be welcome in any "adult only" space or activity.

DCL is easy. Really. People spend tons of time reading and preparing and that's great...but not necessary.

The Art of the Theme Ship Tour on embarkation day is worth doing. You'll learn a lot of fun facts about the ship as well as have a good tour.

4 days is way too short. You can't do it all. Don't try. Read the Navigator and decide what is important to you. Save the rest for a future cruise.

Hit us with any specific questions. You have some real experts on these boards who are happy to try to help.[/quote']

I only care for the cabana because I'm super paranoid about skin cancer, It runs in my family, and I's like to be in shade as much as possible. Are there other forms of shade I can rent or find? Like umbrellas?

My daughter will be delighted to know that there will be forced separation between her and her brother. Hahaha!

I just read on the tour, and it does look very interesting! thanks of the tip on that.

I know...I hate that we had to pick a four day, but my husband just started flying for Delta, and at this point doesn't want to request much more time off. Maybe we'll book a longer one while on the ship for the discount?

Thank you again!

You cannot get a DCL transfer bus from Shades of Green (it technically isn't a Disney hotel, it is a DOD facility).

Transportation to the port depends on what is important to you--price or convenience. Your cheapest option is to rent a car and drive to the port. There are several car rental companies on or near WDW. Budget is at the Doubleday on Good Neighbor road by Downtown Disney, someone is at the Swan/Dolphin complex, someone (Hertz?) is at the Hilton by DOwntown Disney. I know that Budget has a shuttle that will pick you up at your hotel and take you to their location, but it is limited hours. Still, it is walking distance from the Marketplace bus stop at Downtown Disney or you can take the hotel bus from any of the parks. Be sure to use a discount code if you choose a rental.

In Florida, there is no upcharge for one way rentals. Most major companies have drop off location near the terminal. The easiest thing to do is for the driver to drop the luggage and passengers at the terminal and then return the car. You can almost always fit a single passenger with no luggage on the next shuttle, while a family of 4 with luggage might have to wait!

As to your hotel selection, have you priced WDW hotels? I know that Shades of Green prices based on rank. My sis usually found staying at regular WDW hotels was less costly than SOG, but her husband was a Lt. Col. Might be worth a check....but August is prime season. It just depends on what you can get and what you want to pay.

You can book DCL transfers from one of the hotels that offer them. You can return to MCO and take the DCL bus from there. You can use a private towncar/limo service--cost will be slightly more than DCL transfers.

Castaway Cay has palm trees and LOTS of umbrellas. The farther you walk down the beach, the easier it is to get chairs and umbrellas. Obviously, you'll do lots of sun screen reapplied appropriately. Chairs and umbrellas have no additional charge--they are part of cruise fare. A rebooking on board will get you 10% off and a small onboard credit.

If you choose to rent a car there is a car rental location at Shades of Green in the hall in-between the front desk and gift shop. Maybe Avis? Was just there last week but can't remember which company it was. We did not use the rental just noticed the manned station :) Enjoy your cruise! We are taking our first Disney cruise in October! Trying to figure everything out as well!