Pure Unadulterated Whining - Miami/Splendor

euphscott

Just an FYI - when I cruised from NOLA in 2013, I had my Tervis cup with me filled with water. I had to pour the water out (or drink it up) before I could enter the port. Now, I bring my Tervis empty to the port. Then I can always fill it again at a water fountain.

Sounds like it might be more of a port thing than a Carnival thing.

OK everyone of you whiny posters...These restrictions are federal TSA rules. Do you :Dreally want someone with an explosive on your cruise? Stop your whining and enjoy your vacation. You are on a cruise for gosh sakes....

OK everyone of you whiny posters...These restrictions are federal TSA rules. Do you :Dreally want someone with an explosive on your cruise? Stop your whining and enjoy your vacation. You are on a cruise for gosh sakes....

TSA has nothing to do with cruising and liquid explosives isn't why bottles are banned. Not all liquids over 3 oz are prohibited just bottles because people can substitute water/soda with booze. They still allow a 750ml bottle of wine/champagne per person over the age of 21. Try again.

Just a confirmation here as it has been 3 years since the last cruise. you can bring canned soda aboard ( I drink pepsi) a 12 pack per person and also coconut water that is in a carton correct just not bottled water but you can get this before boarding and have it delivered to your room?

You are correct. Also, you can either pre-order the water delivered, or order it when on board. Me, I would just get water and ice, some lemon slices and then dump it in my empty thermos/plastic drink cup I will bring on just for said purposes-probably would taste better! :)

OMG..LOL please do not take offense to this..now I am well way way into adulthood...

but there was this one episode in GRADE school with a rumor of one of my under 10 years of age classmates and to this day I cannot drink at public fountain..well to this day the rumor prevents me from drinking at fountain....now (and this is how old I am) the teacher when heard picked him up from scruff of shirt.

No - I think you miss my point.

I know people were smuggling alcohol. But one small water bottle creates less of a danger than those sitting in the lounge with soda or a glass bottle of wine. Asingle bottle of water is not a security issue.

It's purely an economic play on Carnival's part.

And I'll be honest here. I would have only been mildly annoyed (as compared to tongue in cheek moderate annoyance now) if I'd not had to sit in a lounge for 3 hours waiting to board a ship. I kept thinking, surely any moment now we will board, so I did not want to have to try to scrape together some small change or bills to buy water.

If you think a single bottle of water is going to have any impact on Carnival's bottom line, you really are uniformed financially. Besides that, Carnival does not own the terminals or the soda/water machines in the terminals. So how do they make any money at all from not letting you bring that one bottle of water through security?

This is the biggest fallacy on this board. Carnival has even admitted that smugglers were not the reason that they implemented the no bottles except one wine to be brought on board. Why people keep saying this is laughable. By the way if you think you can't smuggle alcohol in cans you are completely wrong. People are still smuggling and no I will not say how, and NO I do not smuggle alcohol on board anymore.

I got an email from Carnival in May, 2015 saying due to some cruisers trying to smuggle alcohol on board in water bottles all bottles are banned.

I know you were just venting/whining but I'm actually glad you posted this. I definitely would have shown up to our cruise with my water bottle in hand. Not because I don't know the rules, I do, I have already made plans to take a filtered bottle with me and order some bottled water on board. I only drink water and I always have a water bottle, always, so I would have had one in my hand when I walked up there and not thought a thing of it. Thinking it would be gone before I boarded so no rules broken. Well duh me it can't go through security so yes rules broken, of course I would have swigged it down in one big drink cause I'm such a lady, I'm not throwing away my bottle of water. :D

I'll be sure to just bring an empty filter bottle into the terminal and fill it or some change to buy bottled water. Now I just have to find a good filter bottle that makes the other funky tasting bottled water taste decent since I won't have mine all week.

OP, next time bring a can of water. Target sells Dasani 12 packs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I was so excited to read this! But then I looked and it is sparkling water...not regular.

In the past I was one of those alcohol smugglers, lol. However, I'm now reformed after doing some simple math. As we've gotten older, we don't drink nearly as much as we used to. For the 8 day Bermuda cruise May 19th, I ordered a bottle of Crown ($85 + tax) for my husband and another bottle of Malibu for me ($80 + tax) to have in the room when we arrived. Here's the reason why: A one liter bottle has 33.8 ounces. If you make one drink with 1.5 ounces, that's about 15 drinks (which I know isn't much to some people, especially for 8 days!). The last Crown we purchased on board was $6.50 or 75 per drink. At $6.50 per drink, that comes out to $143 worth, so it's definitely more economical to me to do it this way than get it from the bar. Now the price for the crown is $7.50 or so per drink, so it's an even better buy for me. Same process thought with the Malibu. I think we each bought one or two extras during the cruise. I plan to do the same in September. I also brought on board the one bottle of wine per person as well.

I got an email from Carnival in May, 2015 saying due to some cruisers trying to smuggle alcohol on board in water bottles all bottles are banned.

Can you post a copy of that e-mail...just curious because I've never gotten one and have been booked for this fall before the rule change.

Thanks,

If you think a single bottle of water is going to have any impact on Carnival's bottom line, you really are uniformed financially. Besides that, Carnival does not own the terminals or the soda/water machines in the terminals. So how do they make any money at all from not letting you bring that one bottle of water through security?

You are kind of making my point for me - ONE bottle...no dent in anyone's bottom line - especially when my intent was to drink the thing and be done with it before I even boarded the ship.

I only drink water and I always have a water bottle, always, so I would have had one in my hand when I walked up there and not thought a thing of it. Thinking it would be gone before I boarded so no rules broken. Well duh me it can't go through security so yes rules broken, of course I would have swigged it down in one big drink cause I'm such a lady, I'm not throwing away my bottle of water. :D

You get me! :)

I was kind of stunned - and in retrospect - yeah - I would have told them hang on - I am going back out - I am drinking it in full - then I'll re-scan. Then about 30 minutes later, clear the path to the men's room please...

Alas, I wasn't thinking and I figured I'd be boarding within a half hour or so.

If only you would have listened to your wife! Just sayin'!

Funny - I see where you are going!

She actually laughed at me as I complained incessantly until I got to the Lido deck and a cold cup of water. We had three hours to kill - so it was a running joke. I kept pointing out other sources of fluids allowed in that could quench my thirst - but not my lonely bottle of water the security guard likely cracked open and refreshed herself!

Bringing onboard booze is most assuredly not theft or stealing, it is simply breach of the contract of carriage.

Any more than Carnival charging $100 for a bottle of booze through Bon Voyage that they sell in the gift store for $19.99.... but that certainly FEELS like Carnival is stealing!

are you required to purchase that 100 dollar bottle of booze. no, not in the slightest so no theft involved.

on the other hand, taking a bottle of booze on board without drinking a sip is simple breaking of the rules. drinking from that bottle instead of purchasing the on board liquor raises that to theft. you are stealing what should have been a purchase from carnival by not purchasing your alcoholic beverage from them.

I had an empty plastic water bottle in my carry on and they took it. Did not matter that it was empty. I chalked it up to her having a bad day.

This happened in Baltimore.

have never sailed out of baltimore but i have usedthe empty bottle technique in por canaveral, miami, and tampa with no problem at all. they see the bottle, see that it is empty.....so no alcohol or security issue.....and tell me to have a nice cruise. sorry they took yours.....incorrectly.....in baltimore. might try to remind them there is no rules against taking 'bottled air' on board a carnival ship.

After the great time I had on my recent first cruise, Carnival could take every match to every sock I have, short sheet my bed, and force me to sleep in the hall and I am certain I would have a great time. I was fairly concerned about possible problems prior to the cruise. I am left wondering how rough a life people have had that they find things to complain about after enduring such pampering. I guess I have not been spoiled enough to understand. I felt like royalty on my cruise. Take my water. Take my electronics. Take the tablecloths. Take whatever they want. Just let me get back on another one.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain