10th July on NOS advice. Thanks!

Hi

We are going on the Navigator of the seas on the 10th July, and had a couple of questions. We are a party of 5, we are in our late 30’s + parents in law in their 60’s.

1. Is it worth buying the 5-night specialty restaurant dinner deal now? and do we need to book the restaurants now or can we just wait until we are onboard? I would prefer to wait, but then don’t know hard to then get a table once onboard? Went on a 3 night cruise last year and was busy, but on a 14 night assumed it would be a bit more relaxed due to time everyone has to eat at the various places?

2. Excursions are my biggest unknown at the moment. Do we book on board and see whats left, book via RCCL or via one of the web sites. Cruise118 who is our TA pointed us to http://www.cruisingexcursions.com/

Our stops.

Gibraltar - I have been before, and I know it’s easy to get off. Was just thinking taking a taxi tour up the rock. Is it worth booking this ? Someone pointed me to the following.

http://gibraltar-rock-tours.com/package/semi-private-complete-tour-c/

Nice - This is a tender port, so i think we definitely need to book an excursion. However, reading on here seems Nice is not the best option in terms of where to go. My preference would be Monaco and Monte Carlo tour.

Rome - Again, due to distance from port think an excursion is safest option. Never been to Rome so seems Vatican or colosseum is best option ? any recommendations ?

Florence - Never been, no idea what to do :)

Genoa - Never been, no idea what to do :)

Malaga - Easy port, and I used to live on Costa del Sol back in 2000 so planning to grab a taxi and go and check out a few places I used to visit. Fuengirola and if I can get that far Puerto banus. Just need to be careful to get back to ship in time :-)

Lisbon - I have been before, but ages ago. Is the port central? Any suggestions on what to do?

Generally, we just want to wander around at each port – grab something to eat, relax and take in the sights. Not looking to do anything to crazy.

Thanks for any advice! If it was just the two of us would be a bit more relaxed, but first time I am taking my parents in law on a cruise so want it to run smoothly.

Hi, we are also on this cruise. Have you joined the rollcall? http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2196625

Lots of others may be able to give you advice on ports. We have booked ships excursion to Rome as it will be so busy, also ships excursion to Florence / Pisa. All the other ports we are just going to do our own thing. Regarding Nice/ monte Carlo, the train station in Ville Franche is very easy to get to so I think it is probably easy to do on your own, if you google tomsportguides you will find lots of useful information.

Not sure about pre-booking the dining package, I think if you do they allocate first restaurant for 1st or 2nd night and then you book the rest on board. On explorer last year they were trying very hard to upsell these packages onboard so you should be able to purchase onboard.

3 weeks to go, getting excited :D