Are transfers included?

We sail on Sat on Discovery from Palma. Are transfers from the airport to the ship included? Or is it just to the cruise terminal? It seems it's quite a long walk from the terminal to where the Discovery is docked and we have a disabled son so just wondering if there is transport provided. We arrive at 10.30am and the ship sails away at 11pm so is it worth going into Palma or will there be things to do around the ship?

There will be transfers from the airport to the terminal and to the ship. They might not even use the usual terminal as the ship will be so far away. It seems the berth is the one used by ocean village so are there any ocean village cruisers out there that can remember where check in was?

It appears that the ship could be docking at Porto Pi east of the fortress. If so there is a bus into town from outside the port gate Route 1 every 15 mins - can anyone confirm this?

as it is 900 yards from where the ship berths to the port gate I would imagine they would have to provide a shuttle?

Edited by davecttr

I phoned as our confirmation said transfers not included and as we are staying in Cala Bona the other end of the Island after the cruise I was stressing....they said all transfers are included so I guess we just have to believe them (But take a CC just incase [emoji13])

You do wonder how long it would actually take someone to remove "transfers not included" from correspondence. But its obviously beyond their IT dept.:confused:

Their IT efforts remind me of our IT department at work. They would come up with a wizzo new system, the would be developed and installed and then would slowly disintegrate because nobody wanted to do the boring but essential day to day stuff.

Thomson must have had the new system developed outside but like at my old place did not have the savvy to ensure day to day running and fault tracing/elimination was in the contract.

There is the urban legend of MOD specifying a new aircraft type for the RAF. One of the tenderers asked whether this aircraft should have any wings because they were not mentioned in the specification. Having wings of course would increase the price. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back on topic, everybody must be home from the first cruise by now but no reports!

Our paperwork for September says not included, but further down the page it says to ignore that and that they are included. Sort it out Thomson!

I was totally unaware there was a "transfers not included" notice from Thomsons on their paperwork.

You are absolutely right Linda - what a shambles, another example of incompetence in some areas of their business practices - yet again, the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. :(

A few cruises ago we got "meals included" advice on return flight tickets from Cyprus - it was a repositioning cruise from the UK, so no outward flight involved.

On boarding the aircraft we were told that "meals included" had been stopped nearly 2 years previously and the head stewardess didn't have the authority to provide any "free" food.

The captain had to make announcement and ask for calm - several other unhappy passengers in the same position who had made their feelings known to the staff. Would have made a great scene from a "Carry On Holidaying, Thomsons style" film. :)

I wrote a letter of complaint to head office, more on principle than on conviction to be honest, however they gave me a nice "money off next holiday" voucher, which was most acceptable as we felt the urge for another cruise coming on !!!

Edited by WeeCountyMan

A few cruises ago we got "meals included" advice on return flight tickets from Cyprus - it was a repositioning cruise from the UK, so no outward flight involved.

On boarding the aircraft we were told that "meals included" had been stopped nearly 2 years previously and the head stewardess didn't have the authority to provide any "free" food.

That is disgraceful WCM. Supposing someone was diabetic and needed to eat at a certain time!

Lots of reports and photos on facebook Dave ;);)

Don't do facebook anymore Linda. I got some sort of computer virus some weeks ago and it was the devil to get rid of. As it did weird stuff when I went to facebook, that's what it was for apparently, I now avoid facebook and all my computer problems have gone away.

Still no information on where Discovery is berthed in Palma. Presuming that she is docking miles away from the cruise terminal down by the fort what is the easiest way to get to the porto pi shopping centre?

It appears you can get the No 1 bus from its terminus outside the dock gate (Escola de Nautica) and get off 2 stops later at Dic de L'Oest. This is 250 yards from the mall and saves you a 1000 yards walk.

The price is 5 euros :eek:

It would still be 5 euros if you went all the way into town.

Jim,

so far the comments on FB are very positive and photos of ship and cabins and interior areas all looks good, also feedback re sun loungers says there are plenty to go around. Shows excellent :)

Stevie

I see the cabins have been refurbished but not the bathrooms :(

I do hope they have refurbished the single cabins.

Refurbishing the bathrooms would make it an essentially new ship

Jim,

so far the comments on FB are very positive and photos of ship and cabins and interior areas all looks good, also feedback re sun loungers says there are plenty to go around. Shows excellent :)

Stevie

Thanks Stevie

Apart from an odd hour here and there not a sun loungery person but good nonetheless there appears t be plenty

Still no information on where Discovery is berthed in Palma. Presuming that she is docking miles away from the cruise terminal down by the fort what is the easiest way to get to the porto pi shopping centre?

Thomsons flagship yet berthed miles away from cruise terminal or short swim :confused:

dave when we cruised with OV that's where she berthed,can't help regarding getting into shopping centre as we never ventured in.If my memory serves me right there was a wee shop at the berthing point but whether that's still the case I don't know

Edited by Jim The Scot

Yes Good reviews Jim. Julesmiles has been on there. I will ask her to come on here and give some info. She loved the ship.

Hello folks!

Yes, I'm just back from Discovery - had a superb time!

Firstly, the ship is not docked in the "usual" terminal and you are dropped right outside the terminal "building". At most UK airports I believe, you are given a luggage label for your cabin; my advice would be to put this on when you get your case at Palma airport before you take your case to the bus (saves label getting lost in transit).

Once your case is on the bus, you won't see it again until it arrives at your cabin.

We arrived at about 2.30pm at the port and there were long queues to check-in. Whether they have put more check-in desks on now, I'm not sure.

Cabins are lovely - we had a standard outside which was a good size (larger than standard size on Spirit, Celebration I would say) and was very modern, clean & comfortable. Standard cabins have plenty of storage areas, 2 European & 2 US sockets, lots of drawers & good wardrobe space & safe which Thomson have confirmed there will not be an additional charge for.

Dressing table, lots of mirrors, kettle with tea & coffee & UHT sachets of 'proper' milk (not cream or creamer) & hair drier provided. New carpets in our cabin too.

The ship certainly has the 'wow factor' from stepping into the Atrium; the beautiful centrepiece; you just feel comfortable - there is a lovely atmosphere everywhere you go around the ship with quite a lot of familiar faces from many of the other Thomson ships, the hard working staff always have a smile & a friendly 'hello'.

Lots of spacious public areas to sit, to wander, to explore. Easy to navigate your way around with plenty of signage & ship maps everywhere. Plenty of sunbeds all over & deck 4 'promenade' (which doesn't promenade all the way around) seems to be a little known about place to grab a sunbed to relax in the peace & quiet. On 2 afternoons, my friend & I were the only ones on the whole of deck 4 on our sunbeds by the sea - heaven. I really do not think the Discovery will have a sunbed issue!

Adult only sunbathing, The Verandah on deck 9 has press-buttons to call a waiter for drink service. Glass House itself with the indoor pool is NOT adult only; nice relaxing area if you don't want to relax outside & does have air con so doesn't seem to get too hot.

Climbing wall looks fun. Love the mini golf which seemed to be well used. Outdoor pool area is lovely; the big screen is great & only in use at certain times. Recent movies such as Fault in our Stars & Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel were showing in the evenings as were Euro 16 football

matches.

Laundry facility (not self-service) which included a bag of wash & fold service for £14.95 (don't know if this will be offered all the time but I would hope so!)

Great eating venues; 2 MDR - Italian & 'normal'. Both provide lovely food & good service - they provide you with a 'bleeper' if a table is unavailable so you can wander & get a drink. Also Glass House, Islands Buffet & 2 A La Carte; Kora La & Surf & Turf for something extra special. Snack Shack is a great concept - love the fact you can just literally grab a pre-packaged breakfast, sandwich, wrap, roll, salad or fruit salad. Modern, small funky area to sit & eat or take it back to your sunbed.

Loved the Live Room; very bright, modern, fun bar area with the yellow piano which people can sit around to listen to the pianist & a fun concept with the 'virtual bands'.

Classy show lounge; comfortable sofa style seating with individual drinks holders in each arm. Drinks are ordered by the waiters via tablet so quick service.

Shows are all new for this ship; there have been 11 new shows created especially for the Discovery - we saw a wonderful Simon & Garfunkel show. Love the way they use modern technology & backgrounds integrated in the shows. The Show team are very talented & enthusiastic. I'm a bit "sat on the fence" with the shows , I'm afraid - we did only see 4 and 2 were good but the other 2, I felt were quite dated & not the usual big shows that we have seen on other Thomson ships.

Various different acts all over the ship; 3 Grand Pianos; 1 in the atrium, 1 in the MDR & 1 in the Live Room. Talented saxophonist in Bar 11 along with DJ Kencho - fantastic alternative entertainment venue which was 'buzzing' well into the early hours.

Comprehensive drinks included on the drink package including Prosecco; plenty of drinks to chose from.

Food onboard is very good. The 2 a la carte restaurants were very popular so do book early. All food everywhere has good attention to detail & nicely presented.

As people have been saying, there is no Captain's night as we all know it but the Captain & other officers do make an appearance once a week on a 'Dress to Impress Night'. Captain John made a short speech in the Atrium & then mingled with guests for photos. The majority of people dressed nicely - we saw one person in jeans. There is no formal dinner & there doesn't appear to be a 'Captain's Table' anywhere that guests are invited to dine with the Captain or Senior Officers.

There were a few 'teething problems' on the first week; nothing major at all & staff onboard have worked & are still working on sorting these out but nothing detracted at all & we had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday.

This lovely ship still has the Thomson 'feel' and also has some really modern & forward thinking ideas.

I have cruised with Thomson in the past with both family & friends & have also cruised with other lines. Anyone due to holiday on the Tui Discovery is in for a treat & I don't think will be disappointed!

As a "post note", the dock in Barcelona is further out too and there is a shuttle bus laid on at a price of 4 euros return to the Christopher Columbus statue however the queues were long so we actually shared a taxi with another couple on the way in & caught the shuttle bus back to the ship.

Edited by Julessmiles

Hello folks!

Firstly, the ship is not docked in the "usual" terminal and you are dropped right outside the terminal "building". At most UK airports I believe, you are given a luggage label for your cabin; my advice would be to put this on when you get your case at Palma airport before you take your case to the bus (saves label getting lost in transit).

Once your case is on the bus, you won't see it again until it arrives at your cabin.

We arrived at about 2.30pm at the port and there were long queues to check-in. Whether they have put more check-in desks on now, I'm not sure.

Cabins are lovely - we had a standard outside which was a good size (larger than standard size on Spirit, Celebration I would say) and was very modern, clean & comfortable. Standard cabins have plenty of storage areas, 2 European & 2 US sockets, lots of drawers & good wardrobe space & safe which Thomson have confirmed there will not be an additional charge for.

Dressing table, lots of mirrors, kettle with tea & coffee & UHT sachets of 'proper' milk (not cream or creamer) & hair drier provided. New carpets in our cabin too.

The ship certainly has the 'wow factor' from stepping into the Atrium; the beautiful centrepiece; you just feel comfortable - there is a lovely atmosphere everywhere you go around the ship with quite a lot of familiar faces from many of the other Thomson ships, the hard working staff always have a smile & a friendly 'hello'.

Lots of spacious public areas to sit, to wander, to explore. Easy to navigate your way around with plenty of signage & ship maps everywhere. Plenty of sunbeds all over & deck 4 'promenade' (which doesn't promenade all the way around) seems to be a little known about place to grab a sunbed to relax in the peace & quiet. On 2 afternoons, my friend & I were the only ones on the whole of deck 4 on our sunbeds by the sea - heaven. I really do not think the Discovery will have a sunbed issue!

Adult only sunbathing, The Verandah on deck 9 has press-buttons to call a waiter for drink service. Glass House itself with the indoor pool is NOT adult only; nice relaxing area if you don't want to relax outside & does have air con so doesn't seem to get too hot.

Climbing wall looks fun. Love the mini golf which seemed to be well used. Outdoor pool area is lovely; the big screen is great & only in use at certain times. Recent movies such as Fault in our Stars & Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel were showing in the evenings as were Euro 16 football

matches.

Laundry facility (not self-service) which included a bag of wash & fold service for £14.95 (don't know if this will be offered all the time but I would hope so!)

Great eating venues; 2 MDR - Italian & 'normal'. Both provide lovely food & good service - they provide you with a 'bleeper' if a table is unavailable so you can wander & get a drink. Also Glass House, Islands Buffet & 2 A La Carte; Kora La & Surf & Turf for something extra special. Snack Shack is a great concept - love the fact you can just literally grab a pre-packaged breakfast, sandwich, wrap, roll, salad or fruit salad. Modern, small funky area to sit & eat or take it back to your sunbed.

Loved the Live Room; very bright, modern, fun bar area with the yellow piano which people can sit around to listen to the pianist & a fun concept with the 'virtual bands'.

Classy show lounge; comfortable sofa style seating with individual drinks holders in each arm. Drinks are ordered by the waiters via tablet so quick service.

Shows are all new for this ship; there have been 11 new shows created especially for the Discovery - we saw a wonderful Simon & Garfunkel show. Love the way they use modern technology & backgrounds integrated in the shows. The Show team are very talented & enthusiastic. I'm a bit "sat on the fence" with the shows , I'm afraid - we did only see 4 and 2 were good but the other 2, I felt were quite dated & not the usual big shows that we have seen on other Thomson ships.

Various different acts all over the ship; 3 Grand Pianos; 1 in the atrium, 1 in the MDR & 1 in the Live Room. Talented saxophonist in Bar 11 along with DJ Kencho - fantastic alternative entertainment venue which was 'buzzing' well into the early hours.

Comprehensive drinks included on the drink package including Prosecco; plenty of drinks to chose from.

Food onboard is very good. The 2 a la carte restaurants were very popular so do book early. All food everywhere has good attention to detail & nicely presented.

As people have been saying, there is no Captain's night as we all know it but the Captain & other officers do make an appearance once a week on a 'Dress to Impress Night'. Captain John made a short speech in the Atrium & then mingled with guests for photos. The majority of people dressed nicely - we saw one person in jeans. There is no formal dinner & there doesn't appear to be a 'Captain's Table' anywhere that guests are invited to dine with the Captain or Senior Officers.

There were a few 'teething problems' on the first week; nothing major at all & staff onboard have worked & are still working on sorting these out but nothing detracted at all & we had a thoroughly enjoyable holiday.

This lovely ship still has the Thomson 'feel' and also has some really modern & forward thinking ideas.

I have cruised with Thomson in the past with both family & friends & have also cruised with other lines. Anyone due to holiday on the Tui Discovery is in for a treat & I don't think will be disappointed!

As a "post note", the dock in Barcelona is further out too and there is a shuttle bus laid on at a price of 4 euros return to the Christopher Columbus statue however the queues were long so we actually shared a taxi with another couple on the way in & caught the shuttle bus back to the ship.

Thanks Jules,great review

All sounds good and looking forward to our cruise

Hello folks!

matches.

Lovely review Jules very well put together thank you,looking forward to my cruise in March 2017