Can you recommend a private tour company in Paris that would drive us?

Millenia98

Many companies I've spoken to don't offer driving tours. And the one or two that do are charging us about 150 Euros per person for a 4 hour tour. :eek:

This will be late August.

Edited by Millenia98

Many companies I've spoken to don't offer driving tours. And the one or two that do are charging us about 150 Euros per person for a 4 hour tour. :eek:

This will be late August.

I think that's probably because most of the main attractions in Paris are in fairly close proximity to one another and as such, there isn't much demand for driving tours in Paris. It's known as a walkable city and after that, the mass transit is quite excellent, easy to use and it's quick to get from place to place.

Of course it might be that mobility is an issue and as such, then that is a case when driving might be helpful but in this instance I would recommend a HopOn/HopOff bus instead. It is less private but still a nice option or perhaps a coach tour. Visibility would be FAR better than it would be if you are sitting down lower in a car. And then there is the next issue.....

....traffic. Paris in the day time, on a week day, or even a weekend - though perhaps in August less so with summer holidays in progress, city traffic can be quite serious and slow going on certain streets, avenues, boulevards. It will take such a long time to get to see just a few places in the city, there would be very little time to stop for a meal.

Will you be in port at Le Havre? Is Paris a must on your list? Are there other options like maybe a Giverny/Rouen combination? Just wondering what might be a better port visit by car if this is the mode your prefer. Paris is just not ideal by car.

If you have further questions, please let us know :)

I think that's probably because most of the main attractions in Paris are in fairly close proximity to one another and as such, there isn't much demand for driving tours in Paris. It's known as a walkable city and after that, the mass transit is quite excellent, easy to use and it's quick to get from place to place.

Of course it might be that mobility is an issue and as such, then that is a case when driving might be helpful but in this instance I would recommend a HopOn/HopOff bus instead. It is less private but still a nice option or perhaps a coach tour. Visibility would be FAR better than it would be if you are sitting down lower in a car. And then there is the next issue.....

....traffic. Paris in the day time, on a week day, or even a weekend - though perhaps in August less so with summer holidays in progress, city traffic can be quite serious and slow going on certain streets, avenues, boulevards. It will take such a long time to get to see just a few places in the city, there would be very little time to stop for a meal.

Will you be in port at Le Havre? Is Paris a must on your list? Are there other options like maybe a Giverny/Rouen combination? Just wondering what might be a better port visit by car if this is the mode your prefer. Paris is just not ideal by car.

If you have further questions, please let us know :)

Thanks so much your thorough response!

We are flying in directly to Paris and only have 24 hours before moving on. I was thinking to do a quick short tour the day we arrive (that evening after resting). We've been to Paris, but my Mom hasn't. None of us has mobility issues, but I didn't want to completely tire my Mom out by speed walking for 4 hours through Paris with all of us and my daughter's stroller. She'll be 2 and my husband and I will take care of that. But I was thinking this might be relaxing rather than so bustling for her first city in Europe after the long flight.

We had a terrible experience in Istanbul with a walking tour and private guide. The trains were packed solid and my daughter's stroller was hard to maneuver. We've taken her all over Europe with stroller and even on many driving tours in other cities. It was great. Istanbul's walking tour burned me. Just wanted to be comfortable.

I'm thinking you're right and I don't want to be stuck in the car. But we also didn't want to speed and be super worn out. I might change to a walking tour.

Do you think we might benefit from a night cruise with a guide that might explain some highlights?

Edited by Millenia98

Why a tour? In your situation, I would make sure I had a centrally-located hotel, and a very good map. Then explore. I can personally attest to the fact that the Champs-Élysées and Eiffel Tower are spectacular at night :).

Alternately, you could look into a river cruise on a bateau-mouche - probably talking dinner cruise for your timing, could be really cool and you will see quite a lot from the river.

A few years ago we had a driving tourvin a french 2cv car

I think it was called

4 roues sous 1 parapluie

The cars are small and quirky and can negotiate narrow back streets

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

Edited by fabnfortysomething

A few years ago we had a driving tourvin a french 2cv car

I think it was called

4 roues sous 1 parapluie

The cars are small and quirky and can negotiate narrow back streets

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Forums mobile app

That one is cute. I would've booked it already but we're 4 adults and 1 baby. Just 1 person too many. Argh! :/

Edited by Millenia98

Thanks so much your thorough response!

We are flying in directly to Paris and only have 24 hours before moving on. I was thinking to do a quick short tour the day we arrive (that evening after resting). We've been to Paris, but my Mom hasn't. None of us has mobility issues, but I didn't want to completely tire my Mom out by speed walking for 4 hours through Paris with all of us and my daughter's stroller. She'll be 2 and my husband and I will take care of that. But I was thinking this might be relaxing rather than so bustling for her first city in Europe after the long flight.

We had a terrible experience in Istanbul with a walking tour and private guide. The trains were packed solid and my daughter's stroller was hard to maneuver. We've taken her all over Europe with stroller and even on many driving tours in other cities. It was great. Istanbul's walking tour burned me. Just wanted to be comfortable.

I'm thinking you're right and I don't want to be stuck in the car. But we also didn't want to speed and be super worn out. I might change to a walking tour.

Do you think we might benefit from a night cruise with a guide that might explain some highlights?

Someone here mentioned the Bateaux Mouches....I took one at night and I really enjoyed it. Paris is gorgeous day or night but it is so atmospheric in the evening. The boat ride is maybe an 1 1/2 hour, passes by many Paris landmarks and there is commentary/description, including history in English and French plus, whatever isn't already lit up (Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower etc) the boat sometimes shines lights of it's own along the river banks to illuminate in some places so you can see. It will make for a nice break from...

I also suggest a walking tour, but perhaps compare the itineraries OR just borrow from them to see what you can design for yourselves? Paris is fairly easy to navigate, quite compact and beautifully designed, laid out. One way to do it would be to perhaps include a selection of Right Bank highlights - Tuileries Garden picnic (buy some cheeses, sausages, water, wine and fruits) to aim for, then possibly take the river cruise (it's in the middle!) and then maybe head over to the Left Bank and meander over in those quarters to finish up your walking tour. You can always reverse it if you wish.

If you look at a Paris map with the arrondissments numbered, you'll see that they go clockwise starting from #1 in the center to #2, #3 etc around to #20. The streets and avenues and boulevards all flow very easily into one another making it an easy place to get around. It is one of the world's most visited cities and after you have had a hustle and bustle experience in Istanbul I can understand your hesitance or concerns getting around Paris but things are quite a bit more in order in Paris.

If of course you prefer an organized walking tour, it's quite possible you can customize it yourselves too although that probably affects the price and may negate the need (or interest?) for the boat ride...a lot will depend upon the time of year you are visiting too because for example, right now in Paris is does not get dark until about 9:30pm! Dusk starts but lingers a long time so if you must leave for the port or get another flight to your ship...it changes plans.

Apologies for lack of company recommendations aside from Bateaux Mouches...I always just planned things myself in Paris or on repeat visits, local friends took care of some details. BUT I do my research like you too. That's what led me to this site 20 years ago ;) Trust consistent reviews you find from known platforms - the type that led you here - and if you find walking tour companies, come back and ask in this thread about them. Many of our cruisers take pre-post cruise Paris trips and so it's possible some of them might have used them, you never know!

I think the combination of a walking tour, the Seine river cruise - evening maybe, plus perhaps a Tuileries Garden picnic (fun by the sailboat pond?) or just enjoying leisurely cafe times, after you've all rested at the hotel in the morning post-flight might make for a great 24 hours in Paris. Bon sejour :)