MDR menus?

jess427rn

Hi everyone. We will be on the Vista on July 19 for a 10 day journey through the Med. I was wondering if anyone was able to take pictures of the MDR menus? Since this is such a port intensive cruise, I wanted to try to plan our dinners depending on the menu- maybe choosing the Lido buffet over the MDR on some days. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We found that the menus in the MDR were not what we hoped for and that the service was lacking (and we typically praise the MDR as one of the highlights of the cruise).

We had several items we ordered that were forgotten (soup seemed to be the main culprit). I had heard from several posts that the food was served cold, and I have to confirm that it happened to our table on several items. Drink service was abysmal. No one would ask us if we would like a drink, and after the bar staff didn't appear I ended up ordering through our waiter. I ordered a "Grey Goose vodka martini" and got a grapefruit martini instead. I laughed the first night… the second night it was a little frustrating. But most frustrating was the lack of items that truly sounded good to us. We would check the menu each morning and ultimately after 3 tries we never found anything that would draw us in.

Before you jump up to the Lido, you might want to check out some of the alternative options. We had tremendous service and terrific food at all of the alternative restaurants. The steakhouse was the most expensive at 35 a person, but the others were well priced and we never left disappointed. We loved Bonsai sushi, and they remembered our names by the second time we showed up (something our waiter in the MDR was unable to figure out even on our third try). Reservations to JiJi and Cuccini Capitano must be made in advance. We got wait listed a couple of times and never made it in, but were able to on the days that we prebooked a couple of days in advance.

Edited by solongshakespeare

Ok thanks for that info. I'm anticipating some long port days so on these days I think we will skip out on the MDR. I have tried twice to make reservations at the steakhouse through the carnival website but it's been 4 weeks and I haven't heard back. Did it take a while for you to receive your reservation confirmation?

Ok thanks for that info. I'm anticipating some long port days so on these days I think we will skip out on the MDR. I have tried twice to make reservations at the steakhouse through the carnival website but it's been 4 weeks and I haven't heard back. Did it take a while for you to receive your reservation confirmation?

I received a reservation in less than 48 hours. Here's the email.

Vssupper@carnival.com

We enjoyed the Horizons dining room on Deck 3. Every day the menus were posted outside the dining rooms. The "American Table" menu varied nightly, but also included some every-night staples like salmon. In addition, there were port-specific options related to the port we'd just visited that day. That provided some interesting options. And...for those who like to live on the wild side, each night also featured different "if you dare" menu options like frog legs or escargots. We had Anytime dining and really appreciated the flexibility on such a port-intensive cruise.