Weather and clothing recommendations

elbmag

I've read through quite a few Alaska cruise reviews and I'm still confused about the weather and what is recommended to pack.

We are flying from the east coast to do the Carnival Legend on July 19th. I know that we need to be prepared for rain so we will have rain coats. I also know that it is going to be "cold" but I've seen everything from hats, coats, gloves to "layers". Today I saw that we should have rain pants when we do the Carnival excursion in Tracy Arm that takes you close to the glacier.

Ideally I'd love to have as much clothing as necessary but I'm also worried about how much I'm apparently going to need to try and pack to deal with summer wear in Seattle for a few days prior to the cruise and if I also need a full winter jacket or not? I know this is probably hard to answer since weather is an unknown and everyone's feeling for what is "hot" or "cold" is different.

In general would I need a full 3 season jacket? I was planning on only bringing the outer water proof layer and leaving the bulkier part at home but now I'm not sure. What about rain pants? Particularly if you've ever done the smaller boat that goes by the glacier?

I think there are two sources of the variations you have seen.

1. Conditions can be highly variable.

2. People define "cold" differently. Example: My wife and I live in north Idaho and went to AK with our son and daughter-in-law who live on Las Vegas. We found many of the days comfortable. They found them to be cold. We found Tracy Arm to be chilly. They found it to be frigid. It's really a factor of what you're used to. Prepare for 60F and rainy (and colder when visiting glaciers), and prepare for sunny and 80F, and everything in between.

You do NOT need a full winter coat.

"Layers" is the correct way to dress, and that can include hats and gloves, particularly while sailing near glaciers.

I live in the Seattle area and have been to Alaska 8 times. I do not own rain pants and have never felt the need for them on any of my cruises.

Unfortunately, as most people have mentioned, layers is the way to go. I always over-pack for the just-in-case and definitely didn't need all the heavy winter clothes I had brought. I live in Los Angeles where the weather has been in the 100s the past couple of weeks.

I can't speak to Tracy Arm excursions, but I stood outside on the train up Skagway in rainy, windy conditions, and was fine in a short sleeve, fleece, rain jacket, and thermal pants under rain pants. I only wish I had some sort of hat to keep my ears warm and maybe gloves. I had rain dripping on me the entire time I was standing outside, so all the waterproof layers came in handy.

I wore similar layers when walking/hiking in the rain up the Nugget Trail to see the Mendenhall glacier, and was sweaty by the time we finished the walk/hike. HTH!

Having lived on the 'Wet' coast of North America my whole life, I will chime in to help.

We have an adage that will provide some insight. "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes." We prepare for anything and dress accordingly. When they say dress in layers, they mean it.

Depending on the time of year, you will definitely want to have a waterproof jacket. Pick something lightweight without a lining if you are going in June/July. That way, you can have it fill double duty. Bring along a fleece jacket or hoodie. You can layer a T-shirt underneath your fleece, underneath your waterproof jacket and not be uncomfortable.

As for temperature being different, they call it a dry cold and a wet cold. When I lived in Whitehorse, it was not a very humid area and was what was known as a dry cold. The moisture in the air affects how you react to it, so if you are used to a very dry climate, you will be more at home with a dry cold. The same goes for when I lived in Terrace/Prince Rupert, where it was a wet cold. It is miserable and chills you to the bone because the moisture clings to every surface even if you do not notice it. Alaska will be a wet cold.

The other phenomenon of the 'Wet' coast is Prince Rupert rain. Normal rain falls down vertically. Prince Rupert rain falls horizontally and EVERYTHING gets wet. Prince Rupert is known for the least sunny days per year in Canada, much like Ketchikan. Don't believe me? Here you go:

If you're on a 7 day cruise, my recommendations would be 7 day-wear short or long sleeved shirts, 1-2 hoodies/sweaters, 1 fleece jacket, 1 waterproof rain jacket/windbreaker without liner.

Edited by Aegis1984

You can layer a T-shirt underneath your fleece, underneath your waterproof jacket and not be uncomfortable.

If you're on a 7 day cruise, my recommendations would be 7 day-wear short or long sleeved shirts, 1-2 hoodies/sweaters, 1 fleece jacket, 1 waterproof rain jacket/windbreaker without liner.

This is essentially what I did, and I (a warm weather Floridian) was completely comfortable throughout my cruise last week. Short sleeve tech tee, fleece, and waterproof shell. Some days I shed the fleece and kept the shell. Some days I shed the shell. Some days I shed both. We had some wet days, some dry days, and temps anywhere from the high 40s to high 60s.

I also took a packable down puffer jacket, but I only wore it for Movies Under the Stars on the ship while underway (ship doing 21 knots into a 17 knot headwind).

Yes, you're seeing a lot of variations, also because people also take their trips at different times of year.

Layering 101: You have three layering components, Base Layer, Insulation Layer, and Wind/Rain/Weather protection. Some garments span one or more of these components. You might carry more than one insulation layer component; when we went I had a fleece vest as well as an ultralight down jacket that packs down to the size of a softball. (don't use down if you can't keep it dry, I also had a rain shell to go over everything)

Rain Pants... Personally I just carried convertible hikin pants which I'd treated with wash-in DWR and they shed every drop of rain that we saw. Three things in one, shorts, pants, and rain pants. Plus they pack in half the space as a pair of jeans and weigh half as much too. :)

BTW, gloves from a running store are often very lightweight and thin enough to operate a camera while still keeping your hands warm. Came in mighty handy out on deck during a fjords tour as we approached the glacier.