Purpose of refit

Navaleye

All relax of of you. I'm on right now and we just had the CWC party and I got to talk to Captain Warner- what a nice guy. The primary purpose of the dry docking is to inspect the bearing on the 4 Azipods. At the same time some minor changes will be made to the Wintergarden, (more tables) and the decor of the grill rooms will be enhanced to make them more intimate and distinct. He said apart from the pods, its mostly costmetic stuff as you would expect. Having great time and regards to all.

I sure hope Captain Warner (did you mean Warwick) is right about the Winter Garden. I can handle the thought of more tables in the Winter Garden but not the destruction of it as written previously on these boards.

My wife and I will be on board December 8, for the 12 day Caribbean cruise from New York. Maybe there will be more space for tea time in the Winter Garden now. If so, we will be there.

Thanks for the update from a good source.

Terrence

Thorough biennial (every two years) inspections are typically required by classifications societies (in this case Lloyd's Register, I think) in order to keep the ship in class. In some cases it is possible to extend this interval, but this two-year drydocking cycle will constitute one of the principal rhythms of a ship's life.

Lloyd's inspectors and representatives of the flag state will thoroughly examine the hull and structure for unexpected cracking and/or corrosion, and carefully inspect and test important systems, especially main propulsion and safety of life equipment like fire supression and watertight doors. Given the novelty of the Mermaid propulsion system, I imagine it will get a thorough going-over.

These inspections are the usual reason for the timing of yard periods, and routine maintenance is scheduled to coordinate with them. The cosmetic stuff like new carpets and re-decoration, while commercially important, is largely incidental.

The primary purpose of the dry docking is to inspect the bearing on the 4 Azipods.

I have to admit that the word "bearing" is giving me chills, seeing as all of the ships with Mermaid pod units except QM2 (mainly Celebrity's MILLENNIUM-class ships, but some others as well) have had severe difficulties with be bearings in their Mermaids. While QM2's are a new design and supposedly should not suffer this affliction, I'm still ever so slightly on edge by the mention of bearings... But I assume this is just Cunard/Princess being cautious.

As for the Winter Garden and the Grills - well, I do not think that the King's Court ought to have been expanded into the Winter Garden, but I do not like the Winter Garden at all as it is and I think it could use some serious redecoration. The Grills, to me, are bland, characterless spaces that need, well, "something"... Just what, I don't know, but as they are they really don't do it for me.

At any rate, I hope you enjoy the rest of your voyage. A friend of mine is on board right now - his first time on QM2 - so I'm glad to hear that it's been a good crossing so far!

Captain Warner (did you mean Warwick)

The afforementioned friend had been told that Commodore Warwick would be on board, but I guess he has been relieved by Captain Warner.

Dear Doug,

I will be taking 1/3/06 cruise on the QM2 from NYC to Panama. I am trying to understand the refit thread in some context. Is the ship going in for scheduled drydock?

I am aware of the problems of the Celebrity M class and share your concern that all will continue to be well on the QM2.

As far as the changing of some of the dining areas if you refer me to some prior posts I will try and catch up to this issue.

Thanks

Marty

Is the ship going in for scheduled drydock?

Yes, she is being drydocked at Blohm+Voss in Hamburg... There was a thread on this a few days back, if you do a search you should be able to find it.

Let's hope that no M-class-ish problems beset QM2... Totally apart from the disappointment to those who would be sailing in her, I can only imagine (and shake my head) at the media free-for-all that any mechanical mishap would cause.

Anyhow, let me stress for the record, lest I be charged with starting a rumor, that there are no indications of any problems with QM2. But that mention of "bearings" does make me a little nervous.

Yes, she is being drydocked at Blohm+Voss in Hamburg... There was a thread on this a few days back, if you do a search you should be able to find it.

Let's hope that no M-class-ish problems beset QM2... Totally apart from the disappointment to those who would be sailing in her, I can only imagine (and shake my head) at the media free-for-all that any mechanical mishap would cause.

Anyhow, let me stress for the record, lest I be charged with starting a rumor, that there are no indications of any problems with QM2. But that mention of "bearings" does make me a little nervous.

I located the thread, last post was on 9/27/05. Sailing on a "freshly" upgraded ship will make our 1/3/06 cruise even smoother.

Marty

Archived