Cancelling 1 person with ES and reduced deposit

poobears

4 of us are booked on a Oct cruise we are booked ES in one room and all booked on the $50 reduced deposit sale. I owe about $600 on the cruise and plan on paying it off this month. One of the people going, my oldest DS recently changed jobs within his company and is now working in a different dept and may not be able to go. If I have to cancel just him what will I lose? Will I just lose $50 since he booked under the $50 deposit or will they take a full deposit, it's a 5 day cruise. Or the 4th person rate for the room?

I'm definitely not paying it off before I know for sure he's going to be able to go. He should know in the next week. Our final payment due until the end of Aug so still well away from it. If he can't go and they won't refund since he's ES you can't just do a name change right? No name changes on ES if I remember right. So I couldn't just pay $50 and put DH in his spot like on a different fare correct?

Edited by poobears

I just had something similar happen, 4th person can't go, about 2 weeks ago. So to either do a name change or completely cancel it was $129 & the deposit ($75) goes to that guest as future cruise credit then $50 will be deducted from that

You are correct that there are no name changes allowed with ES. However, you are allowed to cancel one person (paying whatever penalty there is) and then book another person into that spot (paying the new deposit for that person). If you were not booked with ES, you could switch out people for free before final payment, as there would be no penalty.

The rules of ES cancellation before final payment state that the deposit, minus a $50pp penalty, will be held for a future cruise. In your case, since the deposit was $50, there is nothing left for a future cruise, so there's nothing be held in limbo. That's the nice thing about the $50 ES deposits. So if you cancelled one, they would just simply remove $50 from the booking as a penalty, but you also would have less to pay, given that you no longer have the 4th person on the booking. If you then add a different 4th person, you would then put down a new deposit (whatever that amount is now) for them.

If you do go from 4 down to 3, without then adding a different 4th person, you could possibly be moved to a 3-person room, as a previous poster mentioned. Since October is not a high demand time for cruising, this is less likely, but still possible.

Thank you, if he can't go Dh might be able to get off, that's a busy time at work for him so it's iffy. I wouldn't mind being changed to a 3 person room if they needed the 4. As long as we are in a balcony on the Lido it's fine with me, I didn't book a specific room location this time so not attached to the room at all.

I'm just happy that I won't be out anything extra if he had to cancel since I would have felt bad and paid it myself, even though I should have :rolleyes:. I guess that is definitely an upside to booking during the reduced deposit sale, there's no much there for them to hold onto.

I just remembered when I upgraded room to Lido it was during the 1/2 off sale so now he'd be considered booked at the 1/2 off deposit, not the $50 deposit so I guess there would be money for me to lose if he cancels. Dang

So I guess they'd charge a $50 cancellation and then hold $50 of what I've paid in his name for a future cruise he'd need to use in the next couple of years or lose. Oh well at least it isn't much.

Edited by poobears

Thank you, if he can't go Dh might be able to get off, that's a busy time at work for him so it's iffy. I wouldn't mind being changed to a 3 person room if they needed the 4. As long as we are in a balcony on the Lido it's fine with me, I didn't book a specific room location this time so not attached to the room at all.

I'm just happy that I won't be out anything extra if he had to cancel since I would have felt bad and paid it myself, even though I should have :rolleyes:. I guess that is definitely an upside to booking during the reduced deposit sale, there's no much there for them to hold onto.

I'm a little confusion by "I didn't book a specific room location". Sounds like you book a guarantee. ES does have assigned cabins.