Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I, too, have had a major problem with ankle swelling on ships for the last 3 years. I get on the ship and within a day my ankles are swollen up. I had assumed it was the salt in the food until I read a post that it could be the tap water. Since we are in an OS on our next cruise we will have bottled water provided, and I can test my theory by drinking bottled water as much as possible. But for the trips we are not in OS and above, not being able to bring bottled water is a bummer. Also, in the past we liked to bring a few Cokes or our favorite margarita mix. Can't do that now. :mad:

You might also run a little test. If you have been drinking ship water on previous cruises then try adding or drinking some electrolytic drinks as well. Gatorade is a good example. If it is caused by ship water it would probably be due to electrolytic depletion. Which could be also be impacted if you are in a hot climate as well.

I received a call from Annette in the Resolution department today. She was responding to the email below. She said they are getting calls and keeping track of the feedback for senior leadership. I don't hold out any hope of change, but I shared with them that this situation will factor in when we are thinking about future vacation plans.

Hi Mrs. Ewart,

I booked our family’s first NCL cruise earlier this year - in part because of the itinerary and in part because of the positive things I heard about NCL. We went on another cruise years ago and didn’t like the “cattle call” feel of it, so we have stuck to land resorts. We decided to give it another try this year. My husband is a Coke Zero fan and a Red Bull and Vodka fan. I am a bottled water fan. I reviewed the information on NCL and saw that we could bring on Coke Zero and bottled water, among other things that went into our decision making process. We have spent upward of $14,000 for two suites and I can tell you that the new policy is incredibly frustrating to me. Had we known of this policy, we likely would have chosen another cruise line (or just decided to stick to a resort where we can make our own choices). That may seem crazy to you, but my husband is a soda drinker and hates Pepsi products. So… here we are. A month from our sailing date and my husband will not have his morning Coke Zero.

I strongly recommend changing your policy. You say it’s for security. Fine. Don’t let people bring on bottles, but let them bring on cans. Also, I looked at the price of the bottled water and it's quite high. From what I understand, Carnival implemented a similar policy (although they still allow people to bring on cans) but they decreased their price of bottled water to something reasonable. I suggest you do the same. People have choices - a lot of them. I spend quite a bit of time on the cruise critic boards and I would recommend you check out what’s being said. You are losing customers at a time when it looks like you really can’t afford to.

Nicely put! I sent several emails out of a similar nature to NCL contacts and recommend that those who feel strongly enough do so too.

How is this price gouging??? I pay the exact same amount at the movie theater, more at the airport. If NCL is indeed lowering their prices to the above stated amounts, then there should be no issue at all here.

As far as I know, people don't spend a week at the airport or a movie theater.

I can't believe people are losing their minds over this, and talking about switching to other cruise lines.

Like Billy Currington said: God is great, beer is good, and people are CRAZY!

No losing minds, just that this policy is the decider (thanks to my favorite author Dick Francis) for some people, including me. The idea that I can't bring back a Coke at the end of a port day or my Coconut soda or mango juice and that we can't bring on board our favorite flavored, unsweetened soda water on our 11 day cruise made us try a new line.This just makes NCL less freestyle Prices were about equal, I can bring on beverages & one bottle of wine, so we're not sailing with NCL this fall.

People also tend to eat and drink vastly different on cruise ships than they do on land, and this could lead to different conditions...

I agree completely! The combined sodium levels likely contributed to my issue. Since I do drink so much water throughout the day, it was the easier option to eliminate any higher sodium levels in the water to control any swelling. This lets me enjoy all the lovely meals and ensures my shoes still fit :)

I will continue to consume bottled water in the future on cruises. Just hoping for reasonable on-board prices.

It would appear that you are the problem then, not NCL.

No, I've never "been the problem" prior to this ridiculous rule. But trust me, as a long time Latitudes passenger, I will not be "a problem" any longer, as I'll be switching cruise lines to one that doesn't take away choice.

We are platinum NCL cruisers. Very upset by their latest ban. Don'tlike Pepsi products so always brought coke & dr. pepper on board with us. Think NCL is over stating problem with boarding, have NEVER had to wait because they were checking soda & water brought on board. Also why couldn't it be packed in your checked luggage? Do they also go through this before its put into your room. May be our last NCL cruise.

Who is a person we should send our dissatisfaction to? The only way to change the policy is to let them know we are not happy.

This thread is starting to remind me of one of my favorite movies.:)

If you want something done, just ask Nurse Ratched.

But just remember, patients are NOT allowed inside the nurses station.

"If Mr. McMurphy doesn't want to take his medication orally, I'm sure we can arrange that he can have it some other way.

But I don't think that he would like it."

And I'd like to have me cigarettes !

Edited by $hip$hape

I'd be curious to know how many people that complain about inability to drink the ship's water due to sodium don't think twice about indulging in Teppanyaki.

or any of the food on board. It is all loaded with salt. I'd bet the majority of those thinking it's the water are actually bloated from the food. I DO swell when I eat overly salty food (like Teppanyaki).

or any of the food on board. It is all loaded with salt. I'd bet the majority of those thinking it's the water are actually bloated from the food. I DO swell when I eat overly salty food (like Teppanyaki).

I swell from salty food, but mostly from heat. I just swelled up like a balloon last week on my trip in 90+ degree weather in California, despite drinking bottled water the entire time. I didn't swell nearly as much on my recent cruise despite drinking the ship's water all week! I'm on 2 different medicines for bloating and blood pressure issues, and my doc knows better than to blame ship's water.

I, too, have had a major problem with ankle swelling on ships for the last 3 years. I get on the ship and within a day my ankles are swollen up. I had assumed it was the salt in the food until I read a post that it could be the tap water. Since we are in an OS on our next cruise we will have bottled water provided, and I can test my theory by drinking bottled water as much as possible.

Good luck! Hope you report back if this solution works for you, too.

I'd be curious to know how many people that complain about inability to drink the ship's water due to sodium don't think twice about indulging in Teppanyaki.

What does Teppanyaki have to do with water consumption ?????

Edited by swedish weave

Seriously?

Because there's tons of salt in the food at Teppanyaki.

Actually, I think the food on NCL in general has lots of salt. But Teppanyaki has even more. I wonder if the people who get the swollen ankles are getting it in part due to the salt content in the food and not just the water. Everyone is blaming the water, but I think the food has some contribution as well.

"O brave new world, that has such people in 't!"

What a naive Black Country lad was I to think that the world of cruises was so refined and genteel. Scratch the surface and you're just as bad as the rest of us! Isn't humanity a rich and diverse hotch-potch of conflicting views and requirements? Each to his/her own, but please don't insult people because they don't comply with what you deem as 'normal' (there ain't no such thing...just different grades of strange/stranger).

I can imagine anyone from NCL who even bothers to spend more than a couple of minutes reading all this having a great laugh as we gallop toward 100 pages of diverse opinion, conflict, insults and general lack of cohesion.

And I thought the hi-fi forums were bad enough...

:rolleyes:

Edited by AquaMarineFerret

Well, in my case, it's a matter of literally having nothing on board to drink. I don't drink beer, wine or any alcohol. I don't drink soda. I don't drink tap water. I only drink one particular brand of water that comes in glass bottles because I don't trust the other brands. And, I only drink organic juice.

This never was a problem, because I used to pack liter bottles of water in my suitcases, as well as organic juice in juice boxes.

It is what I choose to put in my body. NCL is taking away my choice.

I'm curious... so the entire week you don't drink anything but your own glass bottled water? How many cases of this glass bottled water would you bring on board for an entire week if that's all you drink?

Also, how do you ever travel anywhere? Do you always have to go and find this glass bottled water? What if it's not available?

It really doesn't sound like you have any medical issue with the other waters, it's just that you choose not to drink it. Which would make this entirely your own choice and a situation of your own creation.

You might also run a little test. If you have been drinking ship water on previous cruises then try adding or drinking some electrolytic drinks as well. Gatorade is a good example. If it is caused by ship water it would probably be due to electrolytic depletion. Which could be also be impacted if you are in a hot climate as well.

One of the important ingredients of electrolyte drinks is salt/sodium - I thought the issue of ship water was that it was meant to have too much salt for some people.

Aren't you just suggesting replacing salt from the ship water with salt from the gatorade?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

I'm curious... so the entire week you don't drink anything but your own glass bottled water? How many cases of this glass bottled water would you bring on board for an entire week if that's all you drink?

Also, how do you ever travel anywhere? Do you always have to go and find this glass bottled water? What if it's not available?

It really doesn't sound like you have any medical issue with the other waters, it's just that you choose not to drink it. Which would make this entirely your own choice and a situation of your own creation.

Mountain Valley also comes in plastic bottles, but I prefer the glass. Yes, I bring them aboard in Litre bottles, but I also bring a lot of organic juice drink boxes.

https://www.mountainvalleyspring.com/

But if I choose to not eat meat, and that's all NCL offers, that is also of "my own choosing". And that's precisely my point. NCL is TAKING AWAY MY CHOICE! Just as some of the soda drinkers are upset because they prefer Coke and can only get Pepsi.

BTW.. I don't trust other waters because many of them are just tap water that is bottled. Many have bacteria, and a lot have sodium. After much research, I have confidence in Mountain Valley. Check them out for yourself.. but then, maybe you're not interested in health.

No, I hugged him and told him it would all be okay, and that it was all that big bad grocery store's fault, and that we will send a complaint to the owner. :rolleyes:

(Hell yes I told him that he was the problem, and to pick out something in 5 minutes, or not eat tonight. His choice. And guess what? He sucked it up, found something to eat, and didn't starve. #parentingwin)

Good thing my office door is shut. I literally LOL at this! :D