Dawn to Bermuda Review. A tale of two cruises

megansdad1

Day 5 Bermuda

When we got up in the morning, we decided to hang pool side for a while. We would then finish up with some shopping in port and say our farewells to lovely Bermuda. We had good luck with sitting poolside. Kristen was really good about being up way before I was. Although I don't think we were going to run into any issue on a port day. The part of the pool we usually sat at was behind the hot tubs, next to where the wheel chair machine goes in. On this day a nice lady want to go into the pool. Her poor daughter went through so much trouble to get someone to install the lift. It took about an hour just to get the right people poolside. Then the staff didn't have the right tools to install it. Once they got everything set up, 2 hours had passed. Then they couldn't get it to work so the people just left :(

IMG_20160630_110033298.jpg

After our usual pool time and lunch at garden cafe, we headed back to port. While in the shops, we were visited by a heavy downpour, which lasted about 15 mintues and then the sun was shining again. Here are some random shots

IMG_20160628_100026026_1.jpg

IMG_20160628_100029775.jpg

IMG_20160628_100101641_1.jpg

IMG_20160628_101542430_1.jpg

Day 5 Bermuda

When we got up in the morning, we decided to hang pool side for a while. We would then finish up with some shopping in port and say our farewells to lovely Bermuda. We had good luck with sitting poolside. Kristen was really good about being up way before I was. Although I don't think we were going to run into any issue on a port day. The part of the pool we usually sat at was behind the hot tubs, next to where the wheel chair machine goes in. On this day a nice lady want to go into the pool. Her poor daughter went through so much trouble to get someone to install the lift. It took about an hour just to get the right people poolside. Then the staff didn't have the right tools to install it. Once they got everything set up, 2 hours had passed. Then they couldn't get it to work so the people just left :(

IMG_20160630_110033298.jpg

After our usual pool time and lunch at garden cafe, we headed back to port. While in the shops, we were visited by a heavy downpour, which lasted about 15 mintues and then the sun was shining again. Here are some random shots

IMG_20160628_100026026_1.jpg

IMG_20160628_100029775.jpg

IMG_20160628_100101641_1.jpg

IMG_20160628_101542430_1.jpg

Wow thanks so much for taking the time to write. We will be on her Aug. 19. So glad you guys had fun and had a good aditude about the drydock work that was still going on. Love to heard some more. Thanks again

In order to try to keep the weight gain to less than 10 lbs, we would take walks along walking area on deck 7. It was often very quiet. The only down side is that there are a ton of smoking sections there. I don't know why you would put smoking areas at the same place as a walking track, but that is just me. Here are some shots from deck 7

IMG_20160628_134223677.jpg

IMG_20160628_134228490.jpg

IMG_20160628_142144154.jpg

IMG_20160628_142150097.jpg

IMG_20160628_142201438.jpg

IMG_20160630_153004896_1.jpg

Tonight we went to the Venetian for dinner. Before I get into dinner, I was wondering if this artwork in new. It seemed pretty weird. I noticed it in La Cucina also. There were classic painting recreations with geometric shapes on them. This one looked like she is going dragon ball z on the poor girl in the middle lol

IMG_20160628_165826516.jpg

IMG_20160629_180830904.jpg

and no this last one, it is hard to notice, but you can see the squares and rectangles in the background

IMG_20160628_165817837_TOP.jpg

For dinner I started with the Mozzarella sticks. OMG, they were incredible. I loved the tomato and pesto that they came with. For dinner I had the country fried chicken. We went to dinner early and it was quiet. We were there as the Dawn left Bermuda, which was about 530 island time.

IMG_20160628_165702348.jpg

IMG_20160628_165707255.jpg

IMG_20160628_171830049.jpg

IMG_20160628_172320628.jpg

IMG_20160628_174356168.jpg

For dessert, I had the pound cake which was really good.

IMG_20160628_175703925.jpg

IMG_20160628_181347517.jpg

Tonight was David DaVinci "Thrillusionist". I thought the show was pretty good. I wanted to go to the close up event that was held later in the cruise, but I didn't make it to it. I think this was one of the shows that it would have been better to have been close up, but we still enjoyed our view from the balcony. We opted to sit there because it was less crowded and had more leg room. At 6'6", it is a tight fit in the normal seats.

After the show, we went to the room for a spell and head out for drinks and apps. I really wanted to have some nachos, so we buckled down and went back to O'sheehans. This time we had a different wait stuff which was much improved over last nights groups. We split the nachos and a ruben which was pretty decent.

IMG_20160628_220702564.jpg

IMG_20160628_223856231.jpg

I'm really enjoying your review. I love Bermuda...and I love to go to Horseshoe Bay. Your photos are fantastic.

Thank you Kindly. Next time I go to Bermuda, I am totally going to get in more beach time while I am there

One quick thing about day 5. We decided to go to play win lose or draw in Gatsby's. I love a good board game. There were two teams. Probably about 15 people per team. The man running it has a sense of humor that you either liked or hated. I liked him, Kristen no so much. He was very hyper into the rules. At one point things were getting heated between the two groups. One of the girls got frustrated and slammed down the dry erase board and said f@#* this. Oh my! But it was a lot of fun. Too bad NCL doesn't have some sort of ship on a stick award.

Day 6 At Sea

IMG_20160629_223023225.jpg

IMG_20160629_223028693.jpg

IMG_20160629_223033679.jpg

IMG_20160629_223040739.jpg

On today schedule was dinner at La Cucina and the Elements show.

Did the deck 7 promenade deck have any chairs and tables for people to sit in the shade and enjoy the view with a cocktail? I miss that from the spirit in 2010. It was a smaller ship but had that great benefit of the relaxing promenade sitting areas. The Dawn has never had that. It was great for walking but not for sitting and relaxing.

Did the deck 7 promenade deck have any chairs and tables for people to sit in the shade and enjoy the view with a cocktail? I miss that from the spirit in 2010. It was a smaller ship but had that great benefit of the relaxing promenade sitting areas. The Dawn has never had that. It was great for walking but not for sitting and relaxing.

No tables, but they did have loungers. I remember seeing sets of them up past the shuffleboard area. I sat down in them after a few laps was just stared out into Bermuda

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Loving the photos......

Wishing I was at Horseshoe Bay (again). Not fussy on the jellyfish thing tho - wonder if that's just a certain time of year. I never thought to look for something like that....

Edited by Shih-tzu

A kid with a broken leg got stung by the Portuguese Man o War! Poor kid couldn't buy luck!

The paintings were a discussion at the M&G and it's supposed to be modern "art" - hrmph.

They changed the menu at O'Sheehans a few days into the cruise and had some hiccoughs, but I agree that the food there did improve.

A kid with a broken leg got stung by the Portuguese Man o War! Poor kid couldn't buy luck!

The paintings were a discussion at the M&G and it's supposed to be modern "art" - hrmph.

They changed the menu at O'Sheehans a few days into the cruise and had some hiccoughs, but I agree that the food there did improve.

That poor kid. I saw him in the pool with the sleeve over his cast. He was determined to have a good time

No tables, but they did have loungers. I remember seeing sets of them up past the shuffleboard area. I sat down in them after a few laps was just stared out into Bermuda

Too bad! I understand all the maritime rules about the lifeguard boat decks but I can not understand why some little table and chairs is such an issue. Other cruise lines have great siting areas on their promenade decks with lifeboats without an issue. The spirit had them. Why not the Dawn? I think it is an issue of NCL not wanting to put it in place for their own inconvenience rather than a regulation.

Enjoying your review. Have been interested in seeing photos of the refurbished Dawn, since we sailed on her in April just prior to her drydock. You are doing a great job with the review and photos.:)

From what I've seen so far, the "art deco" style artwork all around the promenade deck appears to have been eliminated. The decor in the Venetian seems to have been toned down & looks nice. What are they thinking, though, with those weird paintings?

Sounds like you & Kristen had an overall good time on the cruise and visit to beautiful Bermuda. You have a good attitude and just seem to roll with things...that is certainly helpful when cruising. And congrats on the weight loss for you both!

I chuckled about the fish pattern in the carpet. I always look for it to keep me going in the right direction...LOL.

Ugh. Why did I read the beer listing before heading to bed?!? It's like I'm begging for nightmares.

The worst part is when you settle on something to drink and then they run out

The worst part is when you settle on something to drink and then they run out

I'm somewhat envious that you successfully settled on something to drink.

I read elsewhere that they'll stock beverages in a designated location if, in advance, you provide a letter from a doctor stating that it's medically necessary. Where are my doctor friends in the CruiseCritic community willing to write me a prescription for some 90 Min IPA?

Maybe I'm just reacting poorly to the realization that The Cellars found a home on the Dawn. I suspect somewhere along the way the idea was tossed out there to introduce the Brew House instead. I would have put together one hell of a PowerPoint.

I'm somewhat envious that you successfully settled on something to drink.

I read elsewhere that they'll stock beverages in a designated location if, in advance, you provide a letter from a doctor stating that it's medically necessary. Where are my doctor friends in the CruiseCritic community willing to write me a prescription for some 90 Min IPA?

Maybe I'm just reacting poorly to the realization that The Cellars found a home on the Dawn. I suspect somewhere along the way the idea was tossed out there to introduce the Brew House instead. I would have put together one hell of a PowerPoint.

The only reason I settled is because I can't drink even a single beer. If u do, my gout flares and I can't walk. I miss beer. But if I could drink it, I would not be thrilled with the options.

Good luck with that Drs note. Lol

Enjoying your review. Have been interested in seeing photos of the refurbished Dawn' date=' since we sailed on her in April just prior to her drydock. You are doing a great job with the review and photos.:)

From what I've seen so far, the "art deco" style artwork all around the promenade deck appears to have been eliminated. The decor in the Venetian seems to have been toned down & looks nice. What are they thinking, though, with those weird paintings?

Sounds like you & Kristen had an overall good time on the cruise and visit to beautiful Bermuda. You have a good attitude and just seem to roll with things...that is certainly helpful when cruising. And congrats on the weight loss for you both!

I chuckled about the fish pattern in the carpet. I always look for it to keep me going in the right direction...LOL.[/quote']

Thank you. I am glad that you are enjoying the review. We did have a good time. I am hoping that I can put a nice bow on this in the next 24 hours and sum up if more NCL cruises are on my future

On today's schedule was dinner at La Cucina and the Elements show. I was torn when I originally booked my dinner reservations. I knew that we didn't want to do the Brazilian dinner and we wanted to do the steakhouse twice. So the question was to book Le Bistro or La Cucina. After eating at La Cucina, I didn't regret that decision. This was my favorite entree on the cruise. I started with the bruschetta, which was probably my least favorite starter. But that is probably more preference. I am used to it being having mozz cheese and not having raw onion.

IMG_20160629_175926228.jpg

IMG_20160629_175936205.jpg

IMG_20160629_182433461.jpg

At this point, my camera died and I missed the next picture. I ordered the Ossobuco. It was the most tender/tasty thing ever. If I go back, this is a must must have meal. So I grabbed a picture from NCL to illustrate. And it looked just like this.

NorwegianEdge.LaCucinaOssobuco.jpg

The order in which I read your last post...

NorwegianEdge.LaCucinaOssobuco.jpg

Wow! What a great photo. Best one yet!

At this point, my camera died and I missed the next picture. So I grabbed a picture from NCL to illustrate. And it looked just like this.

Oh. I knew it couldn't be real when there wasn't a cherry tomato with a stick through it. :)

The order in which I read your last post...

Wow! What a great photo. Best one yet!

Oh. I knew it couldn't be real when there wasn't a cherry tomato with a stick through it. :)

lol. I was disappointed that i couldnt grab a picture of this one.