Nov 20 Pacific Sun

realdinkydi

lost my posting and it was a goodie. I am not going to write again but have only one thing to defend and this is that I "speaking for myself" never once said I was sheltered. I was far from it. Never done drugs but did end up having my daughter at 18 and got married at 17.

My daughter and I have a great relationship. She tells me what she wants! I cant force the issue but I trust her.

Happy schoolies to all. Have so many cruise questions

Truebliss and others. Good On You. Stick to your convictions and don't let anyone tell you, 'Well, that's what happens these days'.

Now, what are schoolies, I haven't heard of them here in NZ but is it like the American Spring Break that you see on the telly? Wow, if it is, I wouldn't like mine going to them either.

seems as though there is tension on here.. champ i didnt mean to seem weird about schoolies, being sheltered and all.. but anything can happen anywhere and i think more 15/16 yr olds are up to more than they say to their parents... anyways we should be all happy. most of us have a cruise to look forward to

Truebliss and others. Good On You. Stick to your convictions and don't let anyone tell you, 'Well, that's what happens these days'.

Now, what are schoolies, I haven't heard of them here in NZ but is it like the American Spring Break that you see on the telly? Wow, if it is, I wouldn't like mine going to them either.

Yes, from what I hear it's the same thing and whilst I agree that anything can happen at anytime, I really think that it's more likely to happen when "they are in the masses" (I think that's the right way of putting it). Let me ask you all one question. Would you allow your 17 year old daughter to go away with (god knows how many) 17/18 year old males? (I'm sure that's going to start something). I ask that because my husband & I have had this conversation until I asked him that question and his reply whas "no f***ing way".

Hmm, It seems Luvvin and myself are severely out numbered on here on this issue.

I think its great that you are all concerned parents and want the best for your children. I also really appreciate the fact that you can see the mistakes you made as teenages and dont want them replicated in your children.

BUT, my biggest point is what makes your 17 year old daughter different from an 18 year old daughter.

If you put your foot down on this point and say you cant go to schoolies cause your 17 and some months. What makes it magically change when she turns 18. I dont remember the magical responsibility fairy visiting me on the eve of my 18th birthday and bestowing all things responsible and good on me.

The fact is that at 18 she will be an adult and will be legally aloud to do whatever she wants.

There is nothing stopping her from having a wild holiday or whatever when she turns 18.

The fact the she may be 6 months shy of her 18th birthday shouldnt stop her from enjoying herself.

And in answer to your question would i let my 17 year old daughter go. (Now bear in mind i dont have kids) I would say yes she can go. But I would certainly have my reservations and I would hope that at 17 and a half she would have enough responsibility and maturity to make the right decisions and I would caution her to use protection when having sex (its a given its going to happen, dont pretend its not an issue) and tell her that if she does find herself in a situation she doesnt like she can always call us for help. I would also hope that during her teen years the friends she aligns herself with would also act as a great support network for her.

And for the record this same advice would apply to any future son I may have.

Cheers,

Dan

Yes, from what I hear it's the same thing and whilst I agree that anything can happen at anytime, I really think that it's more likely to happen when "they are in the masses" (I think that's the right way of putting it). Let me ask you all one question. Would you allow your 17 year old daughter to go away with (god knows how many) 17/18 year old males? (I'm sure that's going to start something). I ask that because my husband & I have had this conversation until I asked him that question and his reply whas "no f***ing way".

what if your daughter was going with boys that you know and trust around that age? surely they would protect your daughter.. not all 17/18 year olds are bad.. there is good and bad in every age and race.. obviously if you say to your husband would you let your 17 year old daughter go away with god knows how many 17/18 year old males he would say what he did.. what about other girls on there? your daughter could get in a fight or something.. personally i feel safer around boys i know than girls i know

what if your daughter was going with boys that you know and trust around that age? surely they would protect your daughter.. not all 17/18 year olds are bad.. there is good and bad in every age and race.. obviously if you say to your husband would you let your 17 year old daughter go away with god knows how many 17/18 year old males he would say what he did.. what about other girls on there? your daughter could get in a fight or something.. personally i feel safer around boys i know than girls i know

I wasn't actually talking about the friends they go with, more so the others that are there. As I have said before if my kids wanted to go away with their friends I wouldn't hesitate to let them go but if it was to GC or elsewhere where there are lots of teenagers then I would have to carefully evaluate the situation. As I have also said before, by the time my kids reach that age I don't know how I'm going to feel about it because obviously it all depends on their maturity. I know there are good and bad in every age & race and I know some great 17/18 year olds, but unfortunately I'm also speaking from a friends experience who definately wishes she hadn't ket her daughter go (who by the way was a very mature young lady). I think it's time we let this topic die because obviously every one has their own opinion (and so they should) and the argument could go on forever. And I mean this when I say it "to all you young people out there going anywhere for schoolies week, have a great time but PLEASE be sensible and safe."

Karen

Archived