Just back-no monkeys!

amandaray80

We just got back from our Carnival Miracle cruise (chased by Hurricane Wilma), and before it got nasty, went went to Belize. It's not as dumpy as everyone says, but be careful. GO TO THE CAYES (which are amazing)! The reason we took this cruise was to go to Belize's Baboon Sanctuary to see monkeys in the wild. Huge disappointment when no monkeys were to be seen (plus the money and hour each way to get there). I hope it was just because in a few days the storm was coming and they were hiding, but I thought I'd write this so you know that you may not see a thing. My family was upset. And a side note: you really are in the jungly backyards of people's homes-it's different!

On a positive note: Shark Ray Alley (snorkel trips close to Caye Caulker) were great! We jumped off the boat, and were surrounded by tons of stingrays and one HUGE shark! It's so cool because you're in no more than 10ft of water in the middle of the ocean, and they come from no where! I also heard from other cruisers that the cave tubing was a super unique experience.

Thanks for the heads up. I really was considering this excursion but I worried about actually seeing any wildlife. I hear the monkeys are mostly gone from the area. I wonder if you can see them anywhere in belize besides the zoo?

When we did the River Wallace, Mayan ruins tour, we saw howler monkey in the wild along the river. I think the OP might have hit the nail on the head, however. They may have been affected by the coming of Wilma. And I agree, Belize is a beautiful country with friendly people.

Me again. Don't be too discouraged by my commentary, since every other posting I ever saw said they saw them. 3 different groups of people came out to help call the monkeys. One guy down the road invited us to search his jungley yard for a different "pack" of monkeys. Very nice people. Don't bring bananas-we snuck a whole bunch off board, and left them in trees to try to get them to come out-the locals didn't like that. Oh, and bring Deet bug spray.

We had done massive research on companies that will take you there (don't depend on any cabs to hang out there-it's far away). I love shoretrips.com (we've used them in different ports-they're great with cruisers). We almost used http://www.ncqadventuretours.com/baboon.html for their Altun Ha (Mayan Ruins) and Baboon Sanctuary tour, since it was a referral, and it was cheap. But, when you get into port there's a million people begging you to used their van service. We paid $22/person RT for the monkey trip (it's 50 minutes away). The biggest thing to remember is the time difference-cruise ship time was 2 hours ahead of island time, which helped us out alot. Plus, budget time for the 20minutes+ tender ride. We fit 2 excursions in this way! I can't remember the website, but there is a company that has a Monkey River tour that takes you down the Belize River on a pantoon boat(starts at the Monkey Lodge or something like that), that was $70, and guaranteed monkey-seeing.

Or look at http://www.toucantrail.com/Belize-on-a-Budget/Community-Baboon-Sanctuary.html it gives a nice amount of info.

Hey Alli! I just got my pictures back, and the best ones are definetly from Belize. I'll see if I can post pixs or somekind of link if you or anybody wants to see them. Clothing: it's was HOT! We live in Phoenix, AZ (where it gets 120), but the humidity was unbelievable! I wore a halter top and thin linen pants to the Baboon Santuary (pants because it was 7am, but more because the bugs in the jungley area). Later, we went on a Catamaran to Caye Caukler (GO THERE!) to go snorkeling, and had a swim suit and a skirt. The later in the day was hot, plus make sure to bring a hat (or I wore a cute scarf like a bandana) so your head doesn't get fried. Belize is really south, so pack for warmth. Have a great time!

Amanda

Archived