Observations re dress code compliance - Summit 10/17-10/23

PatHobby

I once saw blatant disregard of the dress "suggestion" on an Alaskan cruise on Galaxy some years back.

One young man showed up for every dinner in shorts, a tee shirt and a baseball cap. Needless to say, he looked ridiculous.

It didn't ruin our cruise, but I always wonder how he felt. I wonder if he did it on purpose, or maybe he really didn't know any better.

If you don't find a good source of information, like these boards, you can make some mistakes.

celtic

He looked ridiculous only in your opinion, and unlike how concerned you were for how he felt, he probably felt wonderful and most of the people around him were probably jealous of him wearing what he did.

He was probably part of the generation that really doesn't care what other people wear especially for something as simple and ordinary as eating dinner.

I will never understand what people find so fun, entertaining, exciting, special or unique about sitting at a table wearing a suit or a long dress to eat dinner.

The other thing I will never understand is why it is OK to eat lunch in the same bloody room as dinner, but you cannot eat dinner while wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Cheers,

Peter

I'm definitely very proud of him. He's accomplished all of that and he's still just 32. And he did it without college. My oldest son is a partner in a very successful law firm' date=' but I'm probably prouder of the younger two because they didn't just follow a "safe" recipe for success. My middle son is a real-estate developer in Savannah and is also doing great, also without the benefit of college. He spent many years as an executive chef on Hilton Head Island and paid a lot of dues along the way. I'm extremely proud of all three of them, but the two younger sons showed a lot of guts and determination in the face of a lot of odds against them and society telling them they couldn't make it without a college degree.

Allen[/quote']

Sounds like you have a wonderful family. You must be incredibly proud of them. Hope with as busy as you all are that you have time to enjoy them!

Allen, I do think there is a problem overall, both with the apparent decline of considering good grooming and proper dress to be important (I will not even begin to vent about the lack of manners in general rampant in our society today) and with the "me, me, me" attitude I often encounter. Perhaps it is all more visible on a cruise ship, as it is an environment that puts a large number of people together in a small space.

I am a frequent visitor to NYC and the dress I observe now when attending broadway shows is sometimes no better than I see at my gym! For me, attending the theater is a special occasion and I treat it as such. Apparently, the contrasting mentality is that if one is paying in excess of $100 per ticket to see a show, they should be able to dress however they want. (Sound familiar?) To me, this takes away some of the "specialness" of the event, as it does in a formal dining room on a cruise ship or in a nice restaurant.

I truly hope the prediction that someday dining on a ship will be nothing more elegant than a food court does not come true. But, I think we are - sadly - moving in this direction.

I am also a frequent traveler to NYC for theater, gallery openings, and other events and I find your Broadway show analogy interesting. In the many years I have been going to NYC, I have yet to see a dress code published for Broadway theater (suggested or otherwise). What you will find, at least in the winter months is that the weekday evening performances are filled with native New Yorkers (they don't pay the $100 face ticket prices btw) who grab some dinner after work and head for a performance. They are wearing whatever it was they came into the office with. On weekends, the performances are filled with tourists from all over the world who, in many cases aren't overly concerned with dress requirements.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Broadway theater is considered at the bottom of the NYC cultural pecking order. It's hardly opening night at the Met or a special Carnegie Hall performance. There will be Broadway show attendees in all manner of attire, as it has always been.

He looked ridiculous only in your opinion, and unlike how concerned you were for how he felt, he probably felt wonderful and most of the people around him were probably jealous of him wearing what he did.

He was probably part of the generation that really doesn't care what other people wear especially for something as simple and ordinary as eating dinner.

I will never understand what people find so fun, entertaining, exciting, special or unique about sitting at a table wearing a suit or a long dress to eat dinner.

The other thing I will never understand is why it is OK to eat lunch in the same bloody room as dinner, but you cannot eat dinner while wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Cheers,

Peter

At the risk of getting flamed - I am with you BUT

My issue woul dbe wearing shorts and a tshirt to the dining room would be you would freeze your bloody arse off - it gets COLD in there.

Cheers,

Peter

Therein lies the problem. I don't understand how you don't know the difference between lunch & dinner atmosphere and I also don't understand why you don't believe that how you're dressed could make something special.

Aren't there even studies done on dress and how it affects students in schools and people at the work place???

When people are dressed more formally they carry themselves differently.

The atmosphere in a dining room will be totally different if it is full of tuxes vs. Dockers, and will change even more if it's a dining room full of denim. You don't have to be unnaturally observant to see this. It's as plain as day.

I am also a frequent traveler to NYC for theater, gallery openings, and other events and I find your Broadway show analogy interesting. In the many years I have been going to NYC, I have yet to see a dress code published for Broadway theater (suggested or otherwise). What you will find, at least in the winter months is that the weekday evening performances are filled with native New Yorkers (they don't pay the $100 face ticket prices btw) who grab some dinner after work and head for a performance. They are wearing whatever it was they came into the office with. On weekends, the performances are filled with tourists from all over the world who, in many cases aren't overly concerned with dress requirements.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Broadway theater is considered at the bottom of the NYC cultural pecking order. It's hardly opening night at the Met or a special Carnegie Hall performance. There will be Broadway show attendees in all manner of attire, as it has always been.

Having grown up ten minutes from the city and having many friends and family still living there, this has not been my experience. My friends who are native New Yorkers do not go to the theater in Jeans and sweatshirts nor do they find it acceptable attire for others. I realize this is not a special performance but IMO people should have a bit more class.

There does not need to be a stated dress code, at least IMO, for people to know to dress appropriately.

Cheers,

Peter

"simple and ordinary" Wow peter, you don" get out much, do you?:D

phil

Having grown up ten minutes from the city and having many friends and family still living there, this has not been my experience. My friends who are native New Yorkers do not go to the theater in Jeans and sweatshirts nor do they find it acceptable attire for others. I realize this is not a special performance but IMO people should have a bit more class.

There does not need to be a stated dress code, at least IMO, for people to know to dress appropriately.

I never said New Yorkers would attend the theater in jeans and sweatshirts (far from it). I would not do that either. But given the broad diversity of the audiance, people do attend in that mode. Whether I find it acceptable or not will not change the audiance demographics. Living in Boston, I will see college students at the BSO on a Saturday night dressed very informally (they pick up last minute student rush seats). While not necessarily appropriate, nobody looses any sleep over it, nor does it diminish the concert experiance (loud talkers and cell phones are another story). I have tickets for the opening night of Tosca at the Met in April. That will probably be Black Tie. A Sunday matinee of Wicked is going to be very casual (no not a sweatshirt :) )

Herman and peterv,

I tend to agree with you (I know, I know). Things are changing all over the world and what used to be is no more. Is that a good thing? Bad thing? It just is. Church attire used to be Sunday best - now anything goes. Do I get less out of it because of this? No. I worried about what to wear on our last cruise - is this formal enough? Is this informal enough? Is this the right casual resort wear? I need not have spent so much time thinking about it. Formal night was great and the tuxes looked great but the men with slacks and cardigan sweaters and casual shoes were there too. Women in pants and sweater combos and fancy flip flops were there too. Jeans on casual night and one woman in short shorts. None of it got in the way of our dining experience and the only reason I noticed it was because of what I read here. This was the most relaxed cruise so far in terms of dress and that was ok - and if this is the way it is going that is ok too. Ultimately it is up to the cruise line and if they keep doing what they are doing by relaxing the recommendations - in all areas - change is inevitable.

I guess you just don't understand the concept of fine dining. Some don't. :cool:

The thing that is really amazing is the lengths that people will go to justify contrary behavior. If it's not a problem with them why do they just keep on trying to convince themselves? If I were the type to flagrantly ignore the dress codes, I sure wouldn't bother to try to defend my actions. Only someone who knows what they do is not right would find it necessary to come up with excuses.;)

The thing that is really amazing is the lengths that people will go to justify contrary behavior. If it's not a problem with them why do they just keep on trying to convince themselves? If I were the type to flagrantly ignore the dress codes, I sure wouldn't bother to try to defend my actions. Only someone who knows what they do is not right would find it necessary to come up with excuses.;)

Dress codes are in place for a reason....go out on the street naked sometime and see how long you are allowed, underdressed :p

I'm new to this board and I wanted to thank all of you for your comments. You just saved me from making a big mistake. I'm a single mom and had been planning to take my 15-yr-old daughter and her 16-year-old friend on next year's Millenium cruise from Venice to Barcelona. Although we had been to Europe several times, we had never been on a cruise. My daughter said it sounded like fun, so I thought we'd give it a try. I had no idea cruises were so formal and that the "regulars" sat in judgment of others. Hillbillies we're not, but I think we'll have more fun playing in Europe our usual way instead.

Thanks for the information.

You're welcome. FYI, the "regulars" do not sit in judgment of others, they just follow the dress codes which are posted by the cruiselines. No one ever says anything to anyone on board, they just get annoyed by the "I'll do what I please" crowd on these boards. I'm sure you'd have a great time on a cruise, but if you absolutely never want to dress up you might want to choose a more casual cruiseline. It is amazing that you would make your first post to a Celebrity board.:rolleyes:

Hillbillies we're not, but I think we'll have more fun playing in Europe our usual way instead.

A hillbilly I am, having been born of Ouachita Mountain dirt-poor redneck Oklahoma stock and having lived for most of my life in Appalachian East Tennessee and in North Carolina for the last 20 years. But, amazingly, even hillbillies have enough sense to respect dress codes. And this hillbilly has been to Europe five times in the past nine years and hasn't yet come to dinner in Osk Kosh B'Gosh "overhauls".

Allen

I'm new to this board and I wanted to thank all of you for your comments. You just saved me from making a big mistake. I'm a single mom and had been planning to take my 15-yr-old daughter and her 16-year-old friend on next year's Millenium cruise from Venice to Barcelona. Although we had been to Europe several times, we had never been on a cruise. My daughter said it sounded like fun, so I thought we'd give it a try. I had no idea cruises were so formal and that the "regulars" sat in judgment of others. Hillbillies we're not, but I think we'll have more fun playing in Europe our usual way instead.

Thanks for the information.

You probably will, but better beware of what other message boards might have to say about travel on your own in Europe. You never know when someone might say something you don't care for, causing you to change your plans once again.

FWIW, not all cruise lines are like Celebrity, and you might find happiness with one of them if you consider Celebrity to be too formal for your taste.

Susan

A hillbilly I am' date=' having been born of Ouachita Mountain dirt-poor redneck Oklahoma stock and having lived for most of my life in Appalachian East Tennessee and in North Carolina for the last 20 years. But, amazingly, even hillbillies have enough sense to respect dress codes. And this hillbilly has been to Europe five times in the past nine years and hasn't yet come to dinner in Osk Kosh B'Gosh "overhauls".

Allen[/quote']

I really like you, Allen :D

My goodness. I just joined this board today and I'm already being accused of being another person. I can assure you that I have never posted at this site. In planning previous trips, I found tripadvisor.com to be very helpful and I found a reference to this site there and thought I would check it out. Since I already knew what ship I was thinking of sailing, I clicked on Celebrity and began reading the posts. Ma Bell, thank you for your kind response. The others were filled with sarcasm. Is all of that really necessary? My post was genuine and honest. I was grateful to have read the comments before I booked the cruise. I foolishly thought that there would be "teen clubs" on every ship and that my daughter and her friend would be able to meet lots of people their age. As far as the dress code, I am a professional and am quite accustomed to dressing up. Following a dress code has never been an issue.

Someone acted surprised that I had chosen Celebrity for the first cruise. Is there a particular order that people choose their ships? We had two considerations: (1) Venice had to be included, and (2) due to a packed summer schedule, the only dates for travel were anywhere between May 25-June 10. That particular sailing met both criteria.

I'm sure all of you are very friendly in person, and I wish you the best on your future sailings.

I guess she won't be hitting any French restaurants......:eek: :eek:

When we were in Paris, we had lunch at a sidewalk cafe just off the Champs Elysees. The waiter had to be in his seventies and, in an attempt to be considerate, we tried to order in French. Once he heard our assuredly-dreadful accents, he started chattering very rapidly in French and about the only words we could make out were "Americains!" "Americains" and "bier", "bier". We were trying to let him know which wine we wanted with lunch, but he just kept nodding his head, saying "oui, oui, biere, biere". When he brought our lunch, it was accompanied with beer.... and to add insult to injury, it wasn't even French beer. It was Amstel Light! We just laughed it off, and now, nine years later, that is still one of the most memorable lunches we've had on all of our trips. Sometimes, in retrospect, what appear to be bad experiences at the time provide much humor later.

Another "ruined" lunch on the same trip was at Polperro, a tiny fishing village in Cornwall, England. We had ordered Cornish "pasties" and were eating them while seated on the stone wall at the harbor. We heard a huge "scrawking" sound and while we were looking around to see what it was, two very large seagulls swooped down and stole our lunch.

Allen

Ma Bell, thank you for your kind response. The others were filled with sarcasm. Is all of that really necessary? My post was genuine and honest.

CameraGirl, I think you ruffled some feathers when you said,

"I had no idea cruises were so formal and that the "regulars" sat in judgment of others".

That came across as somewhat condescending and I think some people were irked by the implication that they were a bunch of uptight snobs.

They are not uptight snobs, and I think that some were reacting because of what they felt was that unfair characterization

Archived