Rhapsody in Tampa

Could someone kindly give me some decently priced and clean hotel ideas for Tampa that would be near the pier (hotel transport or short taxi)? Also, how much would a taxi be from hotel to pier? Thinking of our NEXT cruise............................

Thanks so much,

C/BB

The closest hotels are going to be downtown. The Embassy Suites and Marriott Waterside are next to the convention center. You're talking less than a mile from the port. Although I live in Tampa, I have stayed at both hotels during our annual music educator's convention, and both are great.

I'm not sure about a cab fare...can't imagine it would be too expensive with the distance being so short. There is also a streetcar that runs from downtown to Channelside, with stops near the front of the terminal. If your bags aren't too cumbersome, that could be an option. I think it's $1.25 for a ride.

Off topic, but...If you've never been to Tampa, downtown is growing, and there is more to do than there used to be. The Riverwalk is open, and is a great. The streetcar I mentioned above will take you to Channelside. Lots of resaraunts and bars. The streetcar will also take you to Ybor City. It's kind of the hub of nightlife for the city. Makes for great people watching, and there are tons of fantastic food options. The Columbia is a Tampa institution (oldest restaurant in Florida) and has great Cuban food. My favorite in Ybor is Bernini. They're known for innovative Italian fare. From 4:00-7:00 they have happy hour...$2 Finlandia martinis and 1/2 off all entrees. The Crispy Duck is all I have ever ordered, and I have no intention of changing.

For a 2014 cruise out of Tampa we stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites Ybor City Downtown. I requested a room with a view of the port and got it. The hotel has a shuttle to the port, but not from the airport (we took a cab). It has a very nice included breakfast and a pool. It was not super expensive, although it was more than we usually pay. Definitely worth it if you find a good deal online.

Bee,

We have cruised out of Tampa 4 times previously.

We ALWAYS stay at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ybor City. There is a free shuttle to the port, about 10 minutes or so, and GREAT restaurants a short walk away.

The closest hotels are going to be downtown. The Embassy Suites and Marriott Waterside are next to the convention center. You're talking less than a mile from the port. Although I live in Tampa, I have stayed at both hotels during our annual music educator's convention, and both are great.

I'm not sure about a cab fare...can't imagine it would be too expensive with the distance being so short. There is also a streetcar that runs from downtown to Channelside, with stops near the front of the terminal. If your bags aren't too cumbersome, that could be an option. I think it's $1.25 for a ride.

Off topic, but...If you've never been to Tampa, downtown is growing, and there is more to do than there used to be. The Riverwalk is open, and is a great. The streetcar I mentioned above will take you to Channelside. Lots of resaraunts and bars. The streetcar will also take you to Ybor City. It's kind of the hub of nightlife for the city. Makes for great people watching, and there are tons of fantastic food options. The Columbia is a Tampa institution (oldest restaurant in Florida) and has great Cuban food. My favorite in Ybor is Bernini. They're known for innovative Italian fare. From 4:00-7:00 they have happy hour...$2 Finlandia martinis and 1/2 off all entrees. The Crispy Duck is all I have ever ordered, and I have no intention of changing.

I also live in the Tampa area and drive by the port to get to work downtown everyday and i second everything they said.