First timer pre cruise planning...Valor and Cape Canaveral, Universal, MCO...

RicoMari

Fiancé and I are going on Valor on 8/14, after 2 years of planning and changing things up. We are so excited, neither of us have ever been on a cruise. We are in an aft wrap on deck 6. We fly to Orlando the day before, rent a convertible mustang and drive to country inn and suites near the port. We also booked a room at best western Cocoa Beach, but are leaning toward just staying up closer to port and maybe having dinner and drinks at fish lips or the other spot to get into the cruising mood and watch the ships.

When we return on the 19th, our plan is to take a town car straight from the port to Universal's Hard Rock Hotel, check in, hit the pool or the parks and spend two nights enjoying islands of adventure, studios, Harry Potter and city walk. Flight leaves mco on Sunday (the 21st) at 2:00. Is this overly ambitious? Alternative discussions included Daytona, Cocoa... But I think IOA will be the most bang for the buck and something unique. No kids, 2 young 50 year olds who like yo ROCK!! Opinions.....

Edited by RicoMari

In 2014 my DH & I got off the ship @PC & went straight to our shuttle back to Orlando hotel. We were there by 9:15 AM, they had a room for us to check into, & called a taxi for us. We were at Universal by 11 AM. If you are going straight there you're golden. We did 1 park in 1 day - had to fly out next day. If you have 2 days for the park (19 & 20) that would work. Buy tickets online - we did Universal last summer & tickets are cheaper online. 2 - day park hopper (you'll need this for Harry Potter experience) & buy the meal plan with the coca-cola cup. The cup was great to keep hydrated at the self-serve stations. No lines! I wouldn't try the parks on the 21st as you will want to get to the airport early but you could do the city walk area that day. Have fun!!!!

Sounds like you have a fun week planned! After such a long wait, you must be excited it is only about a month away. Here is what I think. You will be able to lay in the sun and go to beaches on your cruise, so I would not bother to go to Daytona or Cocoa Beach. Stay near the port on your arrival day, personally, I do not care for the beaches in Cocoa, and eating on the water and watching the huge ships will be exciting for you. Also, Ron Jon's is not far from there, and is a fun place to look around, it is huge.

As for after the cruise, you will get off early enough that you will have plenty of time on day one to go to a theme park, or spend the day at the pool and then go to city walk. The ride will be about an hour to the Hard Rock Hotel. Day two can be spent at a theme park, come back to hotel in afternoon when it is really hot, take a dip in the pool, then go have dinner at maybe Margaritaville (sp?) or go back to the theme park for the evening.

Going to the parks in summer is challenging, I recommend you carry a hand held fan, even a paper fan, in your purse for when you are standing in long lines and the heat and humidity starts to get to you! Any of your choices will be fun. Just come and enjoy!

Stefani

Edited by stefs111

Fish lips & Ron Jon are great choices for pre cruise as others have said. Watching the ships from Fish Lips is a great beginning to get your cruise groove started. We've never stayed in the area after the cruise, so not sure about that. Orlando is a bit of a distance from Port Canaveral, so allow at least 45 minutes to get there, plus picking up your rental car will take some time too. Have a great cruise.

We are on this cruise as well!! We are driving down from Northern Virginia on Friday and staying at the Days Inn Cocoa Beach on North Atlantic - I have not sailed out of Port Canaveral but have been out of Charleston 3 years ago and Miami in 1996.

A little input on Universal. The Hard Rock pool is great. Spend some time there on Sunday morning and at night. Kids in Central Florida will be back in school already so you will enjoy lighter crowds. Like another poster wrote, book your Hard Rock Hotel package with tickets online. When you arrive there is a ticket desk in the lobby to do all the add ons. the Quick Service Dining Plan will save you time and money and the souvenir cup is great!

Take advantage of your early park admission and Express. Use the EPA to experience everything at the Wizarding World and then use Express for everything else. Many agree that this is the best time of year to visit Universal so, have an extraodinary time!!

Edited by Miss Kellybean

I love IOA and I pretty much agree with all that's been said so far. You can ride the Hogwarts train from IOA to Universal studios and back (but you have to have a 2-park ticket. I live here and still haven't had a chance to do it but it sounds like a lot of fun: http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20140909/29247/7-things-you-must-know-riding-hogwarts-express (Spoilers in that article but nothing major they say)

Daytona is a pretty decent hike out of the way from PC and Orlando. Personally I'd want to spend more time at IOA lol (my wife and I are in our 50s as well but she doesn't like rides. I'll ride every darn thing I can and IOA has some of the best rides in Orlando.) A day and a half is plenty of time for the parks as long as you don't intend to ride every single thing. Still leaves you evening pool and food and drinks time. Emeril's at CityWalk is fantastic. (I might be biased - they have Chimay and I tend to give extra points for a good beer selection - Plus, he's on TV!)

Also, Inside IOA is a full-service restaurant called Mythos. Hands down the best theme park food I've ever had. Heck, it's better than a lot of restaurants outside of theme parks. Make reservations in advance or else you'll spend half your day in the park waiting in line.

Congrats and I hope y'all have a great time!

I guess i depends on what time you're flying into MCO. Cocoa Beach is a great beach especially if you like o boogie board. It has just the right amount of waves. If you drive down to Lori Wilson Park, second entrance,you can walk right down the boardwalk and rent chairs and umbrellas if you like. If you want a more happening beach, as opposed to peaceful, go to Coconuts,great bar with fun tropical drinks and yummy food. There is also rentals available.

If you're a shopping person or want a new bathing suit for the cruise, ron jon is giant and can kill time. There is also a brand new observation tower at the port which is cool.Of course you can go eat at Grills or FishLips and watch the ships go by for early dinner. If you want to do something different, there is a super fun twilight segway tour that takes you all around the port area and the locks. Really pretty for sunset.

Universal will be a super fun trip for when you get back. Hard Rock will hold your luggage for you until your 3 pm check in. If you want to use the pools , make sure you have your bathing suits accessible. I do not know how many days passes you're buying for universal so that would determine if you should go in the parks. They start closing around 7 at that time of year so get the most bang for your buck. King Kong just opened so that will be the ride to knock out first thing in the morning, thats at IOA. Your fast pass doesn't work on Harry Potter rides so go there on your early day. Make sure you go straight to a wand shop and get an interactive wand if you're any kind of a fan.. Its hours of fun at Diagonally (Universal) , without it, you can't do any of the magic areas. You'll be stuck as a muggle:eek:

As far as food, not a fan of fast food but others seem to like it. Mythos is good for a meal, as well as Finnegans, both in Universal. Finnegans has a great happy hour if you like drinks, 3-6. Another good happy hour for food and drinks is Emerils on City walk. Margaritaville, the food is just blah. Cowfish is awesome and has amazing sushi and the best burgers. If you like karaoke , Rising Star is a really fun bar on city walk. you can also check and see who is playing at Hard Rock Live, its an awesome fun venue and you're super close to the performers.

if you have any questions about Universal, ask away, had a pass for about 20 years lol. I am pretty good on the port area also....

Thank you so much for all the detailed feedback. I am even more excited! I will post an in-depth photo-heavy report when we get back. In the meantime, I need to lose 10 more pounds, find a great suitcase, pare down my planned wardrobe to a few dependable (and flattering) essentials, and figure out what we are doing in port at Freeport. Other than that....I think we are ready to cruise!

Thank you so much for all the detailed feedback. I am even more excited! I will post an in-depth photo-heavy report when we get back. In the meantime, I need to lose 10 more pounds, find a great suitcase, pare down my planned wardrobe to a few dependable (and flattering) essentials, and figure out what we are doing in port at Freeport. Other than that....I think we are ready to cruise!

One thing you should NOT do in Freeport is go to the restaurant by the marina where the glass bottom boat sails from and proceed to shake the ketchup bottle without first checking that the lid is on tight.

The lady sitting behind you especially hopes you don't do that.

I found ketchup in my ear later.

:D:eek: hahaha! Omg, I have a perfect visual of this. I promise not to do this in Freeport.

One thing you should NOT do in Freeport is go to the restaurant by the marina where the glass bottom boat sails from and proceed to shake the ketchup bottle without first checking that the lid is on tight.

The lady sitting behind you especially hopes you don't do that.

I found ketchup in my ear later.

:D:eek: hahaha! Omg, I have a perfect visual of this. I promise not to do this in Freeport.

We did, however, enjoy the glass bottom boat. The captain took us out and got us up close and personal with some sharks.

2eydhjb.jpg

2rmrwoo.jpg

and the gulls followed hoping for someone to throw food out

4kjz9.jpg

This was 3 years ago on a 3-day Bahama Celebration cruise to Freeport and back but I'm sure Carnival has access to the same tour (or similar).

Sounds like a fun trip! I live in Orlando and have had Universal passes from 10 years. It may still be a little crowded still on your dates but staying at the Hard Rock you will get express passes so won't have to wait in line long. Also there is happy holidays at the backwater bar at the entrance of iOA from 4-7 daily.

I would consider keeping your reservation at the Best Western vs.the Country Inn and Suites. Both are good but the Best Western is right at the Cocoa Beach Pier. There are several restaurants there and a tiki bar at the very end. It is still very close to the port and fisliips, just a mile or 2. Have a great time!

Sounds like you have a good plan -

I would stay at the Best Western, you could go to Jetty Park (there is a fee for non residents, unless you walk in) walk on the beach and then walk the pier and watch the ships leave. there is a small shop and restrooms at the park; it tends to be less crowded than Cocoa Beach. Or you could watch the ships leave from the Cove (a bunch of restaurants and sometimes events in the ark area) at either Fishlips or Grills - personally we like the food and service better at Fishlips.

After - staying at the Hard Rock will be convenient and you can spend time exploring and enjoying the resort.

When you get off the ship, it will take you about 1 1/2 hours to the park and from the park to the airport about 30 minutes.

You are coming down at the hottest time of year, the parks may be crowded with families getting in the last of the summer vacations. Just be patient and you'll have a great time

Daytona is not worth the drive - its overrated, yiu'll see some nice beaches on your trip ;)

Enjoy!