Rhapsody 10/16 - 10/23...We didn't pay for Tampa Bay ;)

Just thought I would post my thoughts on my trip on the Rhapsody last week. First of all this was my third time on the Rhapsody and she is just as beautiful now as she was the first time I sailed on her. This was my second annual "friends" cruise. This year it was me and and my 2 best friends from college. When we set sail on the Rhapsody we were aware that there was a storm in the Caribbean but werent sure how or if it would affect our trip. We werent really worried though as we were all really excited to be on a cruise and to be together. Monday we found out the plan would be to visit Cozumel and Key West and we would stay in each port from around 8am to 2am. This wasnt what we planned but we were looking forward to having long days in each of the ports and being able to everything at each port. Tuesday we docking in Cozumel and had a GREAT day. The weather was nice and we were able to do everything. We went to Chakaanab to snorkel, Mr Sanchos for the beach and margaritas, and then out to Carlos and Charlies for the night. Its so sad to hear that all of these place are most likely completely destroyed. We left Cozumel around 3am Wednesday morning and woke up to a rockin' ship wednesday morning. There were about 10-12ft seas. Not sure I cound have handled this all week but it was kind of cool to know you we on a ship. Wednesday we found out that the port at Key West had been closed so we would be visiting Tampa instead. Tampa wasnt the most exciting place but, oh well. We knew when we book a cruise during hurricane season this was a possibility.

Ironically this was probably one of the best cruises I've ever been on. I truly enjoy cruising and feel like the ports are just added bonuses. The crew was awesome, I truly can not say enough about how great they were. This was probably the best service I've ever experenced on a cruise. Also one of our favorite entertainers was back on board...Derek Lewis in the Schooner Bar. He is awesome, if you are on Rhapsody you have to go see him. At dinner we had a 12 person table, and I cant say enough about this table. We had a blast together. This was the most lively table Ive ever been at.

Im summary, we were 3 24 yr olds that had a blast on a cruise where the average age was 62, we only made it to 1 of the ports we planned on and will be doing it again next year on the same ship and same week...yes, were probably crazy.

Hope this is helps anyone sailing an altered itenerary due to the Wilma...you can definitly still enjoy it.

Also if you have any questions on the Rhapsody let me know and I will try to answer them.

I am so glad to see a cruiser that can look at the positives of the cruise. I'm glad you had a great cruise.

I was so afraid based on your title that this would be a thread demanding compensation because you went to Tampa instead of Key West and I'm so happy to see that this wasn't the case.

Again, another thank you for not posting a negitive ad. YOur cruise happened to go to all the places the hurricane hit, and no matter how they tried to stay clear of the storm, it kept coming after you!!!!

I hope you still had an awesome time! I know it is dissapointing missing a few of your planned ports, as I am sure we will miss cozumel for sure next week and possibly key west depending on how the water clean up goes, but what can you do besides make the best of it and have fun!

Scott

I am so glad to see a cruiser that can look at the positives of the cruise. I'm glad you had a great cruise.

I was so afraid based on your title that this would be a thread demanding compensation because you went to Tampa instead of Key West and I'm so happy to see that this wasn't the case.

Sorry the title was probably a little deceiving...someone named their horse "We Didn't Pay for Tampa Bay" in the owners cup race and we thought it was really funny.

Sorry the title was probably a little deceiving...someone named their horse "We Didn't Pay for Tampa Bay" in the owners cup race and we thought it was really funny.

As I said, what a great sense of humor and outlook on life. Wish we could all roll with the punches like you guys on the Rhapsody this week seemed to have done.

I think there is something about the Rhapsody that is magic. I was on it in July and totally agree with what Agee posted about Derek in the Schooner Bar, the staff, everything! My friend was on the Rhapsody two weeks after me when it poured in both Coz and GC and she STILL had the best cruise.

It's fun getting together with your friends. A whole week of girls night out must rock.

Happy sails to you.

Hi AggieCruiser03,

My friend and I were on Rhapsody the week before you and had a blast, too. Luckily for us, we had good weather and hit all the ports, but like you, I don't think it really mattered where we went! We love Rhapsody so much (have been on it twice now). Did you hang out with the officers/crew in the Viking Crown Lounge? They were about the only ones our age! (We're 25). I particularly liked the art auctioneer--Leif (I think) and the Second Officer, Kenneth. They were so fun. Who were your waiters and room attendant?

Anyway, glad to hear the cruise wasn't ruined by the weather!

Hi AggieCruiser03,

My friend and I were on Rhapsody the week before you and had a blast, too. Luckily for us, we had good weather and hit all the ports, but like you, I don't think it really mattered where we went! We love Rhapsody so much (have been on it twice now). Did you hang out with the officers/crew in the Viking Crown Lounge? They were about the only ones our age! (We're 25). I particularly liked the art auctioneer--Leif (I think) and the Second Officer, Kenneth. They were so fun. Who were your waiters and room attendant?

Anyway, glad to hear the cruise wasn't ruined by the weather!

We did actually meet quite a few of the officers and Engineers in the Viking Crown....enjoyed talking to them. We also love the Rhapsody. We planned on booking the Mariner for next year but decided to stick with the Rhapsody since we love her so much.

And we'll get the average age down a bit! I really don't mind being younger than most of the crowd, but we would have liked to have a few more people show up at Viking Crown and other night-time things. Seemed like everyone else was headed to bed when we were just getting our second wind! There was a group of diehards that were up there with us every night.

So was "Dancing Queen" played repeatedly on your cruise?

Did you guys make it to Quest? The Love and Marriage game?

The Rhapsody of the Seas.....great people, great food, great crew, great service....what more would you want? The ports? I agree, the ports are an added bonus on the cruise.

Aggiecruiser03: People like you and your friends is one of the reasons we continue to return to the Rhapsody. Glad you enjoyed your cruise. Who was bartending in the Viking Crown? Did you have Manolo from the Philippines? Also, did you all get the chance to attend the cocktail seminar? Casanova and Leonardo are a hoot.

Here is a list of crew members who have provided outstanding service for us:

Hamal: Waiter

Maximo(2X): Waiter

Lipika(2X): Waiter

Dineish: Waiter

Mohamed: Waiter

Domenic: Purser's Staff

Monica: Purser's Staff

Paul English: Bartender

Leonardo: Bartender

Baptiste: Bartender

Casanova: Bartender

Diosdado: Bartender

Manolo: Bartender

Arthur: Bartender, Server

Michael: Bartender

Marco: DJ

Alex: DJ

Alberto: DJ

Goos: Cruise Director

Peter Benfield: Cruise Director

Stacey: Stateroom Attendant

Leslie: Stateroom Attendant

Debbie: Stateroom Attendant

Marva: (2X) Stateroom Attendant

Ansonia: Stateroom Attendant

Ricardo: Stateroom Attendant

Fausto

Hi Scott:

The CD was Dan Dan the Party Man. He's ok, but you rarely see him throughout the ship...only during performances or activities, then he disappears. I hope Goos or Peter Benfield return to the Rhapsody. They were so much more active with the crowd and they mingled a bunch with the passengers.

Have a great cruise!!

Merrycruiser: Diehards? I'm flattered... :)

Fausto

Merrycruiser-

You should definitely think about going the week we are planning to go next week...the more the merrier. We did go and play Quest (love that game) but did not make it to Love and Marriage...we got caught up in the Schooner Bar with Kamakazee Karaoke. We mainly hung out with the people at our dinner table...we all ended up getting along really well. Usually didnt make up to the Viking Crown until around 12 or 12:30 but there was usually a good group up there (all older than us but, a good group).

TxSailor-

It sounds like we had many of the same crew members. Goos was not on last week but he was our cruise director last May...we really enjoyed him. I agree Rhapsody has great people. I think alot of it is the passengers...a majority of then are from Texas and everyone knows Texans tend to be laid back and ready for a good time...no matter what. We saw a group by the pool the day we were in Tampa that was hilarious. They were drinking Red Stripe and make a video from their day in "Jamaica". For the most part there were not major complaints are the altered trip from the people we talked to everyone made the best of the situation.

Firefighterhoop-

The cruise director is Dan Dan Party Man. We really enjoyed him. Also, make sure you stop by the Schooner Bar for Kamakazee Karaoke with Derek Lewis...you will not be disappointed.

You guys sound like a fun group. Just think...Cozumel may never be like you saw. Did you go to Ybor City in Tampa?

We like to think were fun ;). Weve always said if you put the three of us together we could have a good time no matter what and I guess this just proves it. It really makes me sad that Cozumel will never again be the way we saw it. We had so much fun that day. Hopefully they will be able to rebuild. Glad I had the chance to visit one last time. We did go to Ybor City...on recomedations from this board. My dad started a thread when I emailed him and told him we were going to Tampa to help us figure out what to do. Also, Royal Caribbean had free buses running to and from Ybor City and Bush Gardens. It wasnt alot but it was nice they tried to do something to help make the day in Tampa better since no one really planned on being there.

We sailed the Rhapsody two years ago from Galveston and it was a great cruise with no problems. We just got back from the Conquest cruise, also out of Galveston and debarkation was horrible and we did not get off the ship and into our car until 1:45 PM. Just curious if having both ships come in on the same day also affected the Rhapsody deparkation or does RCCL still have a smooth operation.

Big Daddy-

Debarkation went relatively smooth. We were off the ship by about 8:45. RCCL really kept things moving. The hardest part was getting from the lounge we were waiting in to the gangway on deck 4 (it was really hard to get an elevator). Just curious, what did you this of the Conquest versus the Rhapsody?

Glad you made the best and realize no matter what you can have a great cruise. It is nice to see someone else that realizes you book during hurricane season, then you might not get to the ports you thought but the cruise is what it is really all about.. making friends, hanging with them, relaxing and just forgetting all your troubles.

As for Dancing Queen.. Merry.. you can thank my and Fausto's gang for that.. hehe.. We figured anything beat the junk they were playing and hey disco is some good dance music! I was one of the die hards that closed the Viking Crown down every night and Im in my 40s, 2 of the gals with me in their 20s and Fausto and his gang 30s give or take a bit..

Nitra, you take credit, but they played it EVERYWHERE on the ship! Last year it was "Proud Mary"--this year "Dancing Queen." Thank God there were SOME diehards--so I don't really care what you were requesting! You see, for me to feel inclined to dance there must be 1) alcohol involved and 2) lots of other bodies on the dance floor. I had the alcohol part down (yay Manolo--he was the one bartender who didn't try to kill us by mixing 10 parts gin to 1 part tonic-more like 5 to 1, haha), but there just never were enough people there for me to make a fool of myself!

I agree, Goose was great. Dan Dan was fine, but you're totally right, Fausto, I NEVER saw him except when he was required to be somewhere. That's what I loved about the staff last year--they really seemed to enjoy hanging out with the guests and having a good time. Leif was the only one who was at Viking most nights! Which bartender is "Billy Bob"? Did you notice that DJ Alec was gone after Cozumel? He switched ships in the middle of our cruise!!

Big Daddy, my friend and I did a Bridge tour and the officers on Rhapsody were totally upfront about the fact that they always race Conquest back to Galveston--and usually win! It was funny that they actually told us. next time, come on back to Rhapsody. You'll have a better time AND be off the ship before Conquesters :)

Hey, did you know that there is a single button that you push to drain the pools? I begged them to let me drain one, just so we would watch the faces of the people who were in it. The wouldn't let me. AND they said I couldn't push the button that said "DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON." I don't know what it did, I just really wanted to push it.

and I totally agree about being with your friends being the most important part of the cruise. I never get to see Candace, which makes our cruises even more fun. It's so fun to finally spend a week together, but being care-free on a cruise makes it so much better.

We enjoyed the Conquest and she is a beautiful ship but it is more cut-up and somewhat more difficult to move around. We actually prefer the Rhapsody (also sailed Grandeur) class of ship and especially the pool area. It is more open and you get a more involved atmosphere. Also, I must admit I thought the crew was exceptionally firendly on the Rhapsody and only moderately so on the Conquest. The debarkation alone to, to me, is sufficient reason to go back to the Rhapsody. That is, of course, unless the itenerary is more important. Then again, as we all saw last week, you never know where you'll sail in hurricane season.

Hi Merry:

Yes, I noticed that DJ Alec was gone. He was a nice guy. I saw him during the week, said hello to him. Then, on Friday night, I went upstairs in the Viking Crown to request a song and there was DJ Alberto. I was surprised to see him there. He was the DJ on our back 2 back in May.

For those of you who remember DJ Johnny with the Wolfman Jack voice, he is now working for Boeing Corp. Said he may return to RCI but the benefits at Boeing are much nicer at the moment.

Fausto

AggieCruiser03 - So glad to hear you had such a great time on the Rhapsody!! She really is a great ship. A large percentage of the pax are Texans and in general we are mostly freindly, polite, laid back and ready to have a good time!! I think this rubs off on the crew. I sailed on the Rhapsody right after she came to Galveston in 2001 (couldn't believe we had an RCI ship an hours drive away) and she was much like the other RCI ships I had been on, which was awesome. However when we sailed on her in 2003 I could sense the difference in the crew. They had now adopted the "friendliest ship" nickname and everyone was in a great mood. I really believe they were influenced by all of us partying Texans who can have a good time and still treat people with courtesy and respect. Don't know for sure, but whatever it is - Rhapsody is a special ship and crew - not the newest, not the biggest, but certainly one of the best ships in the RCI fleet!!

AggieCruiser03 - Don't know for sure, but whatever it is - Rhapsody is a special ship and crew - not the newest, not the biggest, but certainly one of the best ships in the RCI fleet!!

Richard: AMEN!!!!

Fausto

Archived