NCL - MORE - Nickel & Dimming

I understand as a community board, people can come here with questions, compliments and complaints, but if you truly hate the NCL product and the direction the company is going, the why stay with NCL (and I understand many are using future cruise credit or are beyond cancelling).

Our family loves NCL....as a family of 4 (DS age 13 & DS age 12), we no longer want to share a room when we vacation. We tried a mini-suite last year with all 4 of us in one room, and while no one stumbling on each other, there is little privacy. So we either have to book 2 rooms or get a suite! We were able to book the Haven Aft at $1750 a person, got UBP, SDP, 250 mins wi-fi, Excurison credit (not sure we will use it in each port, but it's there if we do), $100 arcade credit for the kids, 50 pictures (I'm a huge fan of scrapbooking, so by far my favorite perk[emoji13]).

We looked at RCL, and a comparable room was $1400 more the NCL and I don't get any promos/perks/discounted goodies.

The Fireworks on the Breakaway last year were not all that good, can buy better ones on land and set off myself, so in our world we are okay if they are gone.

We had amazing service last year on the breakaway, so the Staff are more likely than not getting their tips (and like stated above, NCL would be in violation of federal laws for misrepresenting and reporting of the tips, if they weren't going to the waitstaff/bartenders.

The drink ban wouldn't stop us from using NCL, like others have said, invest in a filtered hand held water bottle, we have used them for years, at Disney, Washington DC, and the Breakaway last year. We still purchases a 6 pack of 1 liter bottles, because With 4 of us on excursion it's always good to have a back up to drink.

At the end of the day, we are currently happy with NCL. We see some of the changes as things that will in the end provide a better overall product, others like Margaritaville are a waste and something we immediately knew we wouldn't use when I can get a Margarita anywhere one the ship and O'Sheenan's has burgers for free, and I would rather pay for a lobster and have it taste good, than have mass over-steamed rubber in a shell. And with the number of delicious food options on the ship, why do people get stuck on lobster/shrimp (and if you can afford a cruise, you can affords lobster/ shrimp at home).

Edited by JennaMae

The 18% gratuity charge is right there in the Terms and Conditions of the promos on the web site. Every passenger should be reading what the are getting with their fare and promo.

I've never been a fan of this argument, and I see it a lot on these boards. The ol' "you were warned so can't complain" theory. Hogwash. The biggest complaint about the gratuity charge does not involve its element of surprise (well, to a few people, perhaps), but rather the fact that a "free" offer of a beverage plan requires a service fee. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about ensuring the hardworking crewmembers get the appropriate gratuity. But not every cruise line (see Celebrity, for example) forces the cost of gratuity for a "free" beverage package on the customer.

OP: I do agree with you. There have been way too many cutbacks/cost increases in quite a short period of time. I couldn't believe NCL increased the daily service charge twice in just 5 or 6 months last year.

It would be nice if both platinums in a cabin got bottles of bubbly--not just one per cabin.

NCL's no longer serving lobster one night "included in fare" is annoying. It had become part of the fun of cruising over the years. Other lines still include it!

The "free" UBP is not by any means free. And they are not forward enough with the actual cost. A friend booked Breakaway and was very surprised that she had to front the 18% on the beverage package.

I'm glad we have a variety of cruise lines to choose from. :cool:

I still don't understand why so many people complain about the gratuities. Ship crew work 7 days a week for 8-10 months, depending on cruise line. Are you really insinuating that the crew, who provides YOU service, and works so hard, don't earn this?. Yes I understand the people who don't like the tipping system, but people who don't like tipping generally say charge more on the front end. You and the OP seem to be saying you are too cheap and want to save money and that NCL is greedy and keeps th money... not sure which. I'd love to see you provide the level of service that the ships crew does for 8-10 months without a day off being away from your family!!!!!!

I still don't understand why so many people complain about the gratuities. Ship crew work 7 days a week for 8-10 months, depending on cruise line. Are you really insinuating that the crew, who provides YOU service, and works so hard, don't earn this?. Yes I understand the people who don't like the tipping system, but people who don't like tipping generally say charge more on the front end. You and the OP seem to be saying you are too cheap and want to save money and that NCL is greedy and keeps th money... not sure which. I'd love to see you provide the level of service that the ships crew does for 8-10 months without a day off being away from your family!!!!!!

You're missing the point. When Celebrity offers its free beverage package (which it always seems to do nowadays), it pays the gratuity, NOT the customer. Nobody is arguing that gratuities not be paid to whom they are due.

Personally I like when posters take the time to post lists of all the changes but 2 are missing...

The new water ban

The bait and switch with margarita ville ....not free as was advertised

I only book the cheap insides and take perks like free wifi and hate the specialties and don't drink enough to justify the 18% on the so call free ubp....

But.....with all the talk about all the luxury I might be missing with a balcony and room service and pampering....

I'm thinking that since we are looking elsewhere after our cruise certs are used....

That since I can afford to spring for the better cabins etc...but just choose not to do it on Ncl.....

That next cruise on a different line with be on the higher end...suite etc

I'd do it on Ncl but while their cruises are ok....I just don't like them anymore because of the underhanded things they do

The water ban and the excessive price they charge for water on board is the most obvious

Edited by luvtheships

I cruised NCL for 20 years from 1975 to 1995. On the Norway 6-8 times plus another

10 cruises, at least! I started my company and moved overseas 1995 - 2115 now no record of my cruises. I am Diamond RCI, Elite Princess, Platinum Carnival, ect! I am

a newbie on NCL! Yes, they are cheap, but I want to experience them again. I even went to court for them in Norfolk, Va. and testified against a drunk cruiser who was suing them. NCL Won. So, I have to agree with the OP they are CHEAP!

O

Last year The new CEO - Frank J. Del Rio, for NCL declared his intention to gouge his already booked passengers for another $50. - $100. per cabin on every cruise. Well he has more than accomplished this.

On the July 1st 2016, cruise on the Breakaway the EXCLUSIVE GATHERING rewards party with Senior Officers, was reduced to 30 minutes. Used to be an hour.

No longer permitted to bring any water or soda onboard. I really dislike Pepsi. How do I get a diet coke?

Passengers absolutely have no way of determining if the people who waited on them are receiving their tips? How do you know there isn't any chicanery or razzle-dazzle involved; because It is up to the whims of NCL Corporate who they pay or not pay!

Disproportionate Cutbacks:

With two Platinum Rewards Members of Latitudes sharing the same cabin:

Only one small box of candy per cabin? Used to be twice the size.

Only one bottle sparking wine per cabin?

No more Platinum Cocktail party on Breakaway or Getaway?

No more fireworks displays on Breakaway or Getaway? Even on the 4th of July, no fireworks on the Breakaway.

No more complimentary lobster tails in the MDR? Now you can pay for it?

No more shrimp cocktails in the MDR?

The New Menu in the MDR is awful.

No more children's pricing in the "Specially Restaurants"

No more free room service, now $7.95 per order?

New 18% surcharge on all specialty restaurants?

New 18% surcharge on all drinks,

New 18% surcharge on all food purchases at the coffee cafe.

This amounts to double tipping!

But, Not called a tip but a surcharge!?

Who is receiving the benefit of this surcharge? Certainly not the folks who waited on you!

The daily tip charge has also gone up twice in one year?

Time in ports shortened, FDR wants you back on the ship spending your money.

Asian noodle bar now complimentary, but very reduced selection.

Now pay taxes on FREE UBP/SDP packages.

UDP IS NOW SDP

Blue Man group gone.

Nickelodeon gone.

Cancellation policy - worst in the cruise industry.

AARP Discount gone.

This is called Excessive GREED!

Everywhere you look, NCL has made cuts to their product and found new ways to charge more money and provide less products to their passengers.

Oh, dear. You really sound disappointed and fed up. Try other cruise lines, and come back and report how you like them. But before you do, go ahead and read the lists of similar complaints that you will find on CC for every other cruise line, bar none. Someone has posted such a list for every ship. You will find many others to commiserate with, no matter what cruise you take.

Some folks, if they choose a cruise line for affordability, complain about the "nickle-and-diming." If they choose a more all-inclusive line, they complain that they should have gotten better service, food, etc. for what they paid!

And CC is filled with disaffected loyals who feel that after all these years of cruising their line, they should be getting better treatment.

(And here I am, aching to be on board any ship, under any circumstances...)

Sigh...