Port of Charleston and luggage

zabaco

We are sailing on the Ecstasy out of Charleston and were planning to carry on our luggage (sailing Thursday!)

We were going by the dimensions on the Carnival website for allowable carry on size; however, I just saw a link on the Charleston port website where the allowable luggage dimensions are different for carry on bags.

Are the Charleston luggage scanners smaller than those at other ports?

I guess what I'm asking is this: are they sticklers about the carry on size as noted in the port of Charleston posted dimensions or will we be allowed to follow the more generous Carnival carry on requirements?

Thanks for any input!

Didn't you just get home from a cruise you rascal? You never mentioned this cruise when you were talking about cheers on the other cruise...

You caught me. :-)

Yes, I had 6 days in between the two.

This is a girls' cruise with 3 sorority sisters from college and there is ZERO question as to whether Cheers will be worth it on this trip. :-)

The port of Charleston is not like any other we have gone out of. This port is not set up for cruises which would make since about the carry on size.

In Charleston you park in a warehouse and board thru a glorified warehouse and climb a portable gangway. The workers are normally loading cargo not passengers.

I would bet they will be very strict on the bags

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You caught me. :-)

Yes, I had 6 days in between the two.

This is a girls' cruise with 3 sorority sisters from college and there is ZERO question as to whether Cheers will be worth it on this trip. :-)

I hope yall have a wonderful time!

Charleston, as stated, is the most aggravating port I have ever been out of. Hopefully it has improved. I can't say about carrying on luggage though, sorry.

I hope yall have a wonderful time!

Charleston, as stated, is the most aggravating port I have ever been out of. Hopefully it has improved. I can't say about carrying on luggage though, sorry.

The port has not improved in the last 3 years.... and we are going through the 'FUN' again in 52 days.

The restriction is probably due to the fact you have to take a shuttle to the pier, regardless if you are being dropped off from a hotel, friend, tax or parking on site. I would probably call Carnival to ask.

I usually am one of the first people on the ship, so I am not paying to much attention to folks around me with luggage. I cant say that I recall seeing anyone carry on anything larger than a standard carry on, but who knows..

Have fun! I am looking forward to my 5 day getaway soon!

The restriction is probably due to the fact you have to take a shuttle to the pier, regardless if you are being dropped off from a hotel, friend, tax or parking on site. I would probably call Carnival to ask.

This actually has changed as of the middle of May. Now you have the option of taking the shuttle into the terminal or you may just walk in. It was great, made getting into the terminal much faster if you do not need the shuttle for mobility or other reasons.

This actually has changed as of the middle of May. Now you have the option of taking the shuttle into the terminal or you may just walk in. It was great, made getting into the terminal much faster if you do not need the shuttle for mobility or other reasons.

Wonderful info!

Know anything about luggage size?

cruzeluver, THANKS so much for this information.

I'm also a local that just took my first trip from Charleston. I'm doing a trip review, but parked there.

I saw and posted pictures of people walking to the terminal and thought it was what you said. But someone posted on the review that they just called the Ports Authority, they are giving out the old information.

Can you tell me:

1. I you are having Carnival take deliver your luggage, you have to go to the same check in area to drop it off. Then, the person dropping you off takes you to the white tent where you either wait until it's time or just go into the terminal. Is this correct?

2. If you are doing all carry-on luggage - do you have to check-in at the same area as everyone else (inside the gates at that white tent)? Or, do you go directly to the area you would board? (I saw a smaller white tent it appeared people might be using to check in, and then walking over to the large white tent to wait until they could walk on.)

The port has not improved in the last 3 years.... and we are going through the 'FUN' again in 52 days.

I usually am one of the first people on the ship, so I am not paying to much attention to folks around me with luggage. I cant say that I recall seeing anyone carry on anything larger than a standard carry on, but who knows..

Have fun! I am looking forward to my 5 day getaway soon!

We have decided that our strategy will be to smile at everyone as we walk in with our luggage. :-) Somehow I have a feeling that if I called Carnival they would repeat what's on their website, and our luggage does meet those carry on requirements.

Wonderful info!

Know anything about luggage size?

Happy to help. Unfortunately do not know about the luggage size question. We always check our luggage with the porters.

cruzeluver, THANKS so much for this information.

I'm also a local that just took my first trip from Charleston. I'm doing a trip review, but parked there.

I saw and posted pictures of people walking to the terminal and thought it was what you said. But someone posted on the review that they just called the Ports Authority, they are giving out the old information.

Can you tell me:

1. I you are having Carnival take deliver your luggage, you have to go to the same check in area to drop it off. Then, the person dropping you off takes you to the white tent where you either wait until it's time or just go into the terminal. Is this correct?

2. If you are doing all carry-on luggage - do you have to check-in at the same area as everyone else (inside the gates at that white tent)? Or, do you go directly to the area you would board? (I saw a smaller white tent it appeared people might be using to check in, and then walking over to the large white tent to wait until they could walk on.)

1. Yes, correct. We had arrived a little early. So after dropping our luggage we got in line with a few other folks unitl we were allowed to either board the shuttle or walk into the terminal. Our wait was not long, maybe 10 minutes. But of course even that was too long for some who were already complaining and swearing to never cruise form Charleston again. Drama queens. :rolleyes:

2.Not 100% sure, but I should think if you are not checking any luggage you can proceed right to the terminal after being dropped off.

We had a fantastic trip on the Ecstasy. The ship staff was top notch and I would not hesitate to sail on this ship again.

I have the answer to my original question in case anyone needs to know. We discovered that the port is absolutely NOT kidding with their luggage size requirements, and their dimensions override Carnival's. We were dropped off by Uber at a tent and they clarified that all carry on luggage must meet standard airline carry on size requirements.

We checked our luggage, and then walked up to the terminal for embarkation. It was a very smooth process.

Thank you.... We are on ecstasy in September and I was really hoping to skip the shuttle and walk. We have a 10:00 flight when we return and this will help. I just need to make sure my luggage is small enough...although coming back I don't think size matters when doing self assist.

Thank you.... We are on ecstasy in September and I was really hoping to skip the shuttle and walk. We have a 10:00 flight when we return and this will help. I just need to make sure my luggage is small enough...although coming back I don't think size matters when doing self assist.

You are right. We walked right off the ship with our luggage, went down the walkway, and jumped in a cab all within about 5 minutes.

Be aware, you will most likely have to hold your carry on on your lap while on the shuttle. There is no other place to put it. Your only on the shuttle about 15 minutes so its not bad. I'm pretty sure that's why they don't want you carrying on huge suitcases. Enjoy my ship, I will be back on in 46 days.

p.s. watch out for those aft elevators, they tend to get stuck sometimes..

Be aware, you will most likely have to hold your carry on on your lap while on the shuttle. There is no other place to put it. Your only on the shuttle about 15 minutes so its not bad. I'm pretty sure that's why they don't want you carrying on huge suitcases. Enjoy my ship, I will be back on in 46 days.

p.s. watch out for those aft elevators, they tend to get stuck sometimes..

This is still helpful information if you park and take carry-on luggage.

zabaco was specifically looking for and sharing info on being dropped off. You no longer go to the parking area for drop offs. You go very close to the terminal to check in, drop off luggage if needed, and then walk over a new walkway directly to the terminal.

Edited by CruzinScotty