My P.O. America Review - 10/15/05 sailing

bankofdad

BankOfDad, there are 3 of us couples cruising Nov 26th on the Wind. Two of us got the NCL package at the Marriott Waikiki and the other at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani across from the Pink Palace. We arrive at the hotel on Thanksgiving Day. I read what you wrote in your 10/04 review when you stayed at the Marriott and your description of the conveniences preboarding, boarding, etc convinced me to stay there. Did you use the restaurants or room service at the Marriott? Any dining advice for that location and within walking distance would be appreciated. Is there anything of interest near the Marriott?

I suppose we should make reservations for Thanksgiving Dinner now. Any suggestions on that.

Since we will only have one full day, Friday, to sight see, we have arranged for Star Limo to take us over the island beginning around lunch time. We thought we would get up early and try to hit one of the main attractions like Pearl Harbor or Diamond Head on our own using the public transportation. Does this sound feasible to you?

Thanks for your toughts.

BankOfDad, there are 3 of us couples cruising Nov 26th on the Wind. Two of us got the NCL package at the Marriott Waikiki and the other at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani across from the Pink Palace. We arrive at the hotel on Thanksgiving Day. I read what you wrote in your 10/04 review when you stayed at the Marriott and your description of the conveniences preboarding, boarding, etc convinced me to stay there. Did you use the restaurants or room service at the Marriott? Any dining advice for that location and within walking distance would be appreciated. Is there anything of interest near the Marriott?

I suppose we should make reservations for Thanksgiving Dinner now. Any suggestions on that.

Since we will only have one full day, Friday, to sight see, we have arranged for Star Limo to take us over the island beginning around lunch time. We thought we would get up early and try to hit one of the main attractions like Pearl Harbor or Diamond Head on our own using the public transportation. Does this sound feasible to you?

Thanks for your toughts.

Hi p2lockhart,

I hope you have a great trip! You'll love Hawaii for sure.

We did eat lunch at the Marriott poolside on the day we arrived. I don't remember exactly what I had, but I do remember they had a pretty complete menu with reasonable (for Waikiki) costs.

DW and I had dinner our first night on the beach at Cabanas, which is located at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. The cabana was actually set up on the sand, and the setting was very very nice. If you do this, I would suggest a reservation for right when they open (I belive it's at 5PM) and specifically request one of the cabanas closest to the water. Cabanas is about a 5-munite cab ride from the Marriott, but it would be quite a long walk.

Duke's is also a very good restaurant choice in MHO. I love their prime rib, and the setting is very nice. I wanted to eat there again on this trip, but ran out of time. It's located near the Hyatt, which is an easy walk from the Marriott and the Sheraton Princess Kuilani.

The Hawaii forum has a lot of good threads on this topic, including some that actually review the steakhouse at the Marriott. I haven't eaten there, so I can't comment on the what it's like.

Regarding the Pearl Harbor tour, I remember calling the Marriott before our trip last year, and I spoke with the Conceirge. They said they could arrange for us to be picked up by a tour operator at the hotel as early as 6AM, and that with the early departure we could easily be back before noon (we were initially considering this for embarkation day, but did the dolphin excursion instead). The cost was only going to be about $10pp, which was extremely cheap and convenient. If you call the hotel, I'm sure they can advise if this is still accurate info.

The limo ride sounds like something that we'd like to do:D . With just a few stops, you can easily do the circle in an afternoon/evening and see some beautiful sights. We've visitied Oahu a number of times, I lived on Oahu for three years in the early 80's, and I have never gotten tired of doing the circle drive. It's just simply gorgeous!

Have a great cruise on the Wind! I think you'll find the NCL-Marriott package to be about as convenient and stress free as it could possible get. Have fun!

Bankofdad---I'm not the type of person to let a broken ice cream machine, or a slow waiter, or even a rude hot dog griller make me bitter, we just laugh at these situations and have fun with it.

Bitter? I don't think BankofDad sounded at all bitter. He sounded patient about any disappointments and appreciative of the good stuff he experienced.

You rock, BankofDad--that was a wonderful review! I have no plans to go to Hawaii but I read the whole thing anyway because it was so interesting and well-written. I think you kept your "balance" better than I might have with the disappointments you felt. Kudos to you for that.

:)

I didn't say he was bitter, I won't let it make ME bitter.

I hope everyone that takes this cruise has a great time, and all is perfect. If it's not, well that's the purpose of sharing information on these boards, so that others are aware and can avoid situations or at least know what may happen (or not) once they're onboard.

The waiting and spotty service in the dining room is a perfect example. I should have took more to heart the previous reviews and had an alternate plan for my kids (such as the buffet for them/later dining room for adults -the wait is much more tolerable if it's just adults, and you bring a drink with you because none were being offered in the area.). If I had planned properly, I could have been more comfortable and so would have my family.

Another would be the specialty restaurant receipt. If I'd read where someone else had a similar problem where they're reservation wasn't recognized, I would have ensured that I had the receipt with me when I first arrived at the hostess station and diffused the sitiuation from the start.

I could go on and on, but the point is that most of us are here to share information that will enhance our vacations. I've said it before on these boards to others that have had bad expereinces - we need to read the bad as well as the good. To me, they're equally important for our planning.

I'm not bitter at all about the cruise, and I certainly do not want anyone else feeling bitter either. I'm just sharing my experience, and just maybe someone will use a tip or two to ensure that theirs goes as well as possible:).

I thought this ship was absolutely gorgeous and am very glad I took this cruise. No regrets at all. I really appreciate it that others have taken the time to read my review and understand what I was trying to offer by posting the review in the first place. I didn't post it to complain, but rather to share information just as others have done for me in the past:D.

Well put, BankOfDad. That is precisely why I appreciate all of the feedback. When I cruise on the Wind, I will be sure to take my receipt for the specialty restaurant. I will also bring an adult drink with me while I wait to be seated in the dining room. BTW, can you make reservations in the regular dining room so you do not have to wait? I wonder if the concierge will do that for you if you have a balcony...

BTW, can you make reservations in the regular dining room so you do not have to wait?

Thanks p2lockhart,

I don't know about the Wind, but on POAm we were allowed to make a reservation in the main dining room for the following night. We elected not to do that because we wanted to "freestyle" in respects to time, but knowing what I know now it certainly would have been more to our benefit to make a reservation and ensure we were there at the reserved time. If I were to do it again, that's exactly what I'd do.

but on POAm we were allowed to make a reservation in the main dining room for the following night.

Is there a number to call to make the reservation or do you have to trek down to the restaurant itself?

Thank you so much for your well thought out review of the cruise. I have to say, I'm a little bit nervous now -- but I also feel like I have a lot of knowledge of the cruise that lies ahead. We are scheduled to go on Jan 14, 2006... I surely hope some of the problems you encountered are gone by then!

Couple questions though -- You mentioned several cruise sponsored trips. Anthing you would have done differently?

We have a cabin 9012, should I now ask for an upgrade? Even though it's only 2 of us... I feel a bit cramped in small spaces.

Again, thank you for such an all encompassing review. I know I appreciate it and I'm sure others will!

Ck

Is there a number to call to make the reservation or do you have to trek down to the restaurant itself?

Hi JVS,

To make a reservation for the main dining rooms you'll need to go down to the dining room while dinner is being served. They can make a reservation for the NEXT night at that time. You'll see a host/hostess just outside the front entrance of the dining room with a computer stationed with them, and they can help with the reservation.

... I'm a little bit nervous now... I surely hope some of the problems you encountered are gone by then!

My gosh, you guys make it sound like it's so bad, a broken ice cream machine is not the end of the world, and the odd slow server, c'mon, get real people. These are hardly problems but things that happen beyond anybodies control. Way too much over analyzing on this site, or maybe people are too spoiled. I'll get off the soap box now.

Thank you so much for your well thought out review of the cruise. I have to say, I'm a little bit nervous now -- but I also feel like I have a lot of knowledge of the cruise that lies ahead. We are scheduled to go on Jan 14, 2006... I surely hope some of the problems you encountered are gone by then!

Couple questions though -- You mentioned several cruise sponsored trips. Anthing you would have done differently?

We have a cabin 9012, should I now ask for an upgrade? Even though it's only 2 of us... I feel a bit cramped in small spaces.

Again, thank you for such an all encompassing review. I know I appreciate it and I'm sure others will!

Ck

Hi Ck,

Please don't feel nervous about your trip. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Please just use the info to be aware and create a strategy if things don't turn out the way you'd normally expect them to.

Regarding the two ship's excursions we took (Captain Zodiac and the Kona Tiki), we had an absolute blast on both, and I highly recommend each one. They were perfect for what we like to do. I'd do the exact thing in Kona again based upon the family group we were traveling with.

Pertaining to the cabin, I loved the way it looked and appeared (again, I loved the asthetics of the ship's entire interior - everywhere). The storage space was very cleverly laid out, so that was no problem (and we had extra gear for snorkeling & DW is an imfamous over-packer). If it had just been DW and I in the room, we would have been very content (or most likely thrilled!). It was the sofa bed extension and third person that made the room feel so cramped. There really was no where to move when the sofa was made into a bed, and you had to climb over it to get to the balcony. With two people (especially if the other person is a significant other) I think it would have had a very cozy & romantic feel to it.

I believe 9012 is on the starboard side, and as I said in my review, that's the side I would choose if I were to do this again (unless I could secure a balcony directly aft like we did on Pride of Aloha).

Have a great cruise!

I'll get off the soap box now.

Thank you. I'm sorry you don't seem to understand what I've tried to accomplish with this review.:( I'll try to do better the next time.:)

BTW - I again want to say that I am very pleased that you enjoed your cruise! I think that's great!

BTW - I again want to say that I am very pleased that you enjoed your cruise! I think that's great!

No problem, I had some of the same experiences you had but feel no need to express them because they are so minute and are only going to get people "nervous" when there is no reason to plant that seed. Like I said, reviews tend to over analyze everything. I think my point is being missed here.

Ck

Ck - Come join our roll call! We have a group under NCL Roll Calls for this date and about 16 people in our group. My husband and I are on the 9th deck, aft, balcony.

We also were on the 10/15 POAm cruise (I will write a review soon!). We were charged the service fee. Was just wondering did they give you any explanation as to why they were not charging you a service fee?

Thanks, Colleen

Hi Colleen,

My mistake, I checked our final statement and we were charged the fee. The reason I had thought we weren't was because when we were handed the embarkation day Daily while we were waiting in line to check in for the cruise we saw an insert telling us that the $10pp fee would not be applied during the cruise.

However, I pulled out the saved Dailies after reading your post, and it says (and I quote) "This is to inform you that during this voyage the Pride of Aloha will NOT be applying a $10 per person per day "service charge" to your account." That's great, except we were going on the Pride of America, not Pride of Aloha.

It seems someone at NCLA inadvertantly placed this insert for POAl into the POAm embarkation Daily, and we were careless enough to have not caught the discrepency. End result, I guess we double tipped the crew on this one. I only blame myself for not catching the error, and apologize for passing on innacurate info.

If anyone would like to see a copy of the insert, just post your email address and I'll pass it on. Just another detail to be aware of for future cruisers.

Bank of Dad

Have been reading this thread as we are gone on the 11-13 sailing of the Pride of Aloha. I found the information helpful about excursions helpful! Please e-mail me a copy of the insert since it was the Aloha. Thanks!

eyemanjim@adelphia.net

Hi eyemanjim,

I just sent the email. I hope it helps, and hope you have a great cruise!

bankofdad--Thanks so much for writing such a detailed review. There was a lot of helpful information in there. I understand that a review is the personal opinion of a person. I appreciate you taking the time to give us yours. We sail on PoAm 8/5/2006 and are looking forward to it. I have seen wildly varying opinions about this ship. They do seem to be getting more positive, however. DH & I are a "go with the flow" type couple and it really helps being informed via reviews on this board. Thanks again.

bankofdad--Thanks so much for writing such a detailed review. There was a lot of helpful information in there. I understand that a review is the personal opinion of a person. I appreciate you taking the time to give us yours. We sail on PoAm 8/5/2006 and are looking forward to it. I have seen wildly varying opinions about this ship. They do seem to be getting more positive, however. DH & I are a "go with the flow" type couple and it really helps being informed via reviews on this board. Thanks again.

Thanks Erin,

I hope you have a great cruise!

I see you also just completed a cruise on Majesty as well. We sailed her this past August, and had a fantastic time. Very relaxing:)

You can make a reservation at any time. You will find a reservation line on the right top of your phone. Just press the botton and ask for a reservation. You can do it the same day before 4:00.

Archived