Artemis

Philipp

I have just returned from short 4 day cruise on this ship. What a disappointment. It reminded me of a car ferry and gave about the same standard of service. There are not enough staff to provide the service expected. I had to wait ages for a drinks waiter in all the public rooms. The dining room food was mediocre and the meal rushed.

I was hoping this would be a taster of the P&O experience , but if its is typical then I will not be rushing back to taste any more.

On the plus side the dancers were superb, but were leaving the ship at the end of the cruise

Sorry to read of your disappoinment.

As Royal Princess and flagship of the Princess fleet, she was a wonderful ship. We sailed her four times, and were sorry when she was tranferred.

I was always baffled that the option for a 2nd and/or 3rd of the class was allowed to expire.

I have just returned from short 4 day cruise on this ship. What a disappointment. It reminded me of a car ferry and gave about the same standard of service. There are not enough staff to provide the service expected. I had to wait ages for a drinks waiter in all the public rooms. The dining room food was mediocre and the meal rushed.

I was hoping this would be a taster of the P&O experience , but if its is typical then I will not be rushing back to taste any more.

On the plus side the dancers were superb, but were leaving the ship at the end of the cruise

OOmm I have read other reports about this short break and others seemed to have had a good time. I wouldn't really say that one of these mini breaks was the best way to judge a ship personally or P & O. Also Artemis is the oldest ship in the P & O fleet and has only recently been transferred from Princess. I have to say it doesn't appeal to me as I prefer Aurora/Oriana both of which I have always had a superb time on and have no complaints about. I have just returned from QM2 and whilst I loved the ship itself, I had some issues which has put me off rushing to book QM2 again. I suppose we are all different and see things differently. I wouldn't judge P & O on this experience. Try one of the other ships on a shorter cruise, rather than a short break.

Elaine

Thanks Elaine for the response. We have not tried QM2 yet , we have , for the last few years cruised on Caronia which we adored , sadly she was sold by Cunard to Saga (and whilst we qualify, there is something inside me tells me we are not ready for them yet!). After Caronia we transferred to QE2 (Princess Grill) we have now completed 4 cruises on her and maybe I am trying to make comparisons where they can't be made .

I did the cruise before yours and loved it.

I thought considering her age Artemis was in great shape and I had no complaints about service at least in Tiffanys, where I spent a fair bit of time reading. The drinks waiters remembered what I drank after about the third day.

As for the dining room food I couldnt fault it, or for that matter the waiters - my only complaint would have been re the food in the conservatory, which was cold more often than not.

Booked again for next year anyhow :D

Sorry you didnt enjoy the experience

• 3 weeks later...
I did the cruise before yours and loved it.

I thought considering her age Artemis was in great shape and I had no complaints about service at least in Tiffanys, where I spent a fair bit of time reading. The drinks waiters remembered what I drank after about the third day.

As for the dining room food I couldnt fault it, or for that matter the waiters - my only complaint would have been re the food in the conservatory, which was cold more often than not.

Booked again for next year anyhow :D

Sorry you didnt enjoy the experience

Hi Drops

Do You have any photos of the Artemis?

Thanks

http://community.webshots.com/user/jamesraymondcox

• 3 months later...

My wife and I have recently returned from the ARTEMIS ‘Grand Odyssey’ (cruise P511; 25/10/05–12/02/06) and share similar concerns to those raised by Philipp/‘Cool Cruiser’, below. We have enjoyed numerous cruises with P&O and other operators for more than 10 years now, and never have we encountered such substandard food and furnishings as those endured on the inaugural Artemis cruise. P&O’s web site claims that “Artemis offers traditional cruising in a thoroughly up-to-date environment. And there’s no compromise on style or luxury”; in common with a number of similarly disappointed passengers from this cruise, we are filing an official complaint detailing the contrary. Meanwhile, I would be interested to know of other passengers’ experience of this cruise, via this forum? I would also reiterate that ‘luxury’ is not an adjective that I, personally, would use of Artemis – potential passengers be warned!

Sorry to see some of you didn't enjoy your experience on Artemis.

I was always disappointed that she went to P&O. Us Aussies would have loved her down here as a sister to Sky. Instead we got Star and Sun which are no newer and certainly neither of them could ever use the word luxury,

After Caronia we transferred to QE2 (Princess Grill) we have now completed 4 cruises on her and maybe I am trying to make comparisons where they can't be made .

Nothing sailing now can compare with QE2. She is the last of a noble tradition.

Interesting, we were on QE2 in Norway when we passed Artemis in, I think, Flaam. Our Captain, Nick Bates, was standing on the bridge wing saluting Artemis, whilst showing her what a real whistle sounded like!

• 2 weeks later...
The waiter in the Grand Lounge on QE2 not only remembered which whisky I drank, but my name.

After the FIRST night!

Guess my expectations werent as high then.... Regardless I enjoyed it... each to his own :D :D

• 2 months later...

I agree with the comments by Welsh Lad regarding the above ship and cruise.

My husband and myself have enjoyed several cruises with P & O before and have never encounted substandard food and entertainment as we did on this cruise. Never once did we have an evening meal served on warm plates.

We found the ship to be unstable in bad weather and there was a problem with one of the engines most of the cruise.

When we joined the ship in Southampton at the start of the cruise it was dirty i.e. the window sills around the crystal pool and the seats appeared never to have been cleaned. Altlhough it was supposed to have had a £10 million refit/refurnishment the crew were always painting and varnishing over the rust, they even varnished the skirting board in the dining room prior to the first sitting for the evening meal.

I hope that you have had some satisfaction from your official complaint to P & O as we have had a minor victory with them, but a friend is still trying to get some compensation.

I agree with the comments by Welsh Lad regarding the above ship and cruise.

My husband and myself have enjoyed several cruises with P & O before and have never encounted substandard food and entertainment as we did on this cruise. Never once did we have an evening meal served on warm plates.

We found the ship to be unstable in bad weather and there was a problem with one of the engines most of the cruise.

When we joined the ship in Southampton at the start of the cruise it was dirty i.e. the window sills around the crystal pool and the seats appeared never to have been cleaned. Altlhough it was supposed to have had a £10 million refit/refurnishment the crew were always painting and varnishing over the rust, they even varnished the skirting board in the dining room prior to the first sitting for the evening meal.

I hope that you have had some satisfaction from your official complaint to P & O as we have had a minor victory with them, but a friend is still trying to get some compensation.

We got on the ship the day you got off and for the next few weeks we had the same problems.

Philip. Sorry you had a bad experience on Artemis but don't let this put you off p & O. I have not been on Artemis but have been on Oceana on a 3 night cruise and found the whole experience fabulous! Beautiful ship, very luxurious, modern and traditional with leather and traditional dark woods and brass in certain public areas but more modern glitzy areas which reflects the American cruise liners, of which Oceana once was (Ocean princess). We honestly could not fault the waiting staff in the bars. As soon as we sat down, a server came to take out order... we never had to go to a bar at all. The select dining (£6.75 extra) in the Plaza was superb... we had three waiters for two of us... one with drinks, one with food and another for good measure... food was first class and we got a table with sea view... very intimate and memorable. I was so taken by this ship (I have been on Disney Wonder and this was brilliant and luxurious - so I can compare to another cruise line) I have booked 7 nights on Oceana next Easter time in a mini-suite with my hubby and 2 kids and cannot wait as I know what to expect(went with my friend so hubby and kids not been yet). Also I am going on Oriana in June 06 for 3 nights with my friend again and cannot wait for this either!

Give P & O's more traditional ships and service another chance........I am sure you won't be disappointed!;) Hollyanna

I have tonight had dinner with an old friend who has spent two weeks on each of Aurora and Arcadia. She and her partner loved the Aurora and were very disappointed with Arcadia.

My wife and I were disappointed with Arcadia too.

This seems to suggest that P & O have two levels - Aurora representing one and Artemis/Arcadia the other. Interesting that the disappointing ships are both new to the line!

We were looking at a Norway cruise on the Artemis next May 18, 2007; but the comments here are not very encouranging.

Does anyone have an idea of the size of the standard outside staterooms? We felt cramped in the standard size rooms on Celebrity Zenith (172 square feet), but the rooms on the Artemis appear to be even smaller.

We were looking at a Norway cruise on the Artemis next May 18, 2007; but the comments here are not very encouranging.

Does anyone have an idea of the size of the standard outside staterooms? We felt cramped in the standard size rooms on Celebrity Zenith (172 square feet), but the rooms on the Artemis appear to be even smaller.

Hi, We had 38 Nights on the Artemis in Feb/March, yes thre rooms do seem small when both beds are down, 168 sq. ft. we found more room when one bed is put away during the day. What we did not like about the ship, the rust around all the windows, not clear glass to see through as they are so old, the bath rooms have been updated on some rooms but the new baths which are small and you can see where the old one was, they say they did a refit which looks like new carpet only done, to take away the old Princess look. Their were no chairs good to sit in long as all very low backs. The room for the shows very small and post in way for a good view on many seats. I could say more but will leave it for now. I have been with P&O before but they have cut back a lot, as no shampoo in rooms, but they had overstocked it in the shop at a big price, as a group of 6 friends went and part of the group it was their 45th cruise and many with P&O (2 world cruises) and others with Princess which they say they will go back to.

Thanks, Timespliters. I think we'll give the Artemis a pass. As for the new P & O ships, we'll be sailing on the Noordam (a HAL Vista ship) in November, and at least one of the new P & O ships is similar to a HAL Vista ship. We'll see how we like Noordam.

Hi Joan&Joe, Hope I did not put you off, but you know the Artemis is a very old ship and Princess did not want it asy more so dumped it back to England and changed its name from Princess Royal to Artemis. The last time I was in N. J. was 1962 , have you been to England? Royal Caribbean and Celebrity sale out of England on some good trips.

Archived