Trasnport from Laem Chabang to Pattaya

aunty69

Hi can someone help please. We are arriving in Laem Chabang in November on Diamond Princess for a day and have chosen to go to Pattaya instead of Bangkok for the day as there appears more to do. Can someone tell me the best way to get to Pattaya please as our cruise ship does not have transport going there. First cruise and very excited. Thanks in advance

Hi can someone help please. We are arriving in Laem Chabang in November on Diamond Princess for a day and have chosen to go to Pattaya instead of Bangkok for the day as there appears more to do. Can someone tell me the best way to get to Pattaya please as our cruise ship does not have transport going there. First cruise and very excited. Thanks in advance

Hmmm, I'd be inclined to re-think "more to do in Pattaya than Bangkok" :confused:

Pattaya is ....errrr "interesting" in the evenings - google "Walking Street, Pattaya" ;)

Daytime it's quite limited, a fairly boring beach holiday resort.

I believe there are places near Pattaya worth visiting, but your best bet would be to fix up a tour starting at the ship. Hopefully others can come up with more detail about places and tour operators.

You say your ship is in port "for the day".

That's a shame, many ships are in port for two days and a good proportion of passengers overnite in a Bangkok hotel, making the 90 minutes to 2 hours drive e/w from Laem Chabang much more worthwhile.

By contrast, Pattaya is so much easier - about a 20-minute drive. As a first-timer to L/C I'd suggest that despite the limitations of a single day you consider the many & varied delights of Bangkok, but I can understand the attraction of somewhere closer.

The taxis at the port are in a cartel, and seriously over-charge for transportation to Bangkok & other places a similar distance. So for Bangkok you need to set things up in advance.

But if you just want a simple taxi ride to Pattaya it'll cost peanuts. More peanuts than it should do, but not worth the hassle of pre-booking over the internet. And a return taxi from town is likely to be cheaper.

However, to repeat, if you want a tour in the Pattaya area I suggest you decide & book with a well-reviewed operator.

Also check your RollCall. You may find others with similar plans & be able to fix a tour-share.

Here's a link to Diamond Princess' RollCalls - scroll through to find the one with your sailing date, they're not in chronological order

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Unless you're just wanting beaches, I concur with John Bull that Pattaya really does not have more things to do than Bangkok. I've been to Bangkok three times and still haven't seen everything that city has to offer. But if you're still wanting to stay with Pattaya, I would arrange for private transportation to take you where you want to go. Yes, you can take a local taxi, but just make sure you can get back to the ship. And, I can't stress this more, but you must make absolutely sure that you have enough time to get back to the port on time. Thailand is infamous for traffic accidents that can tie up roads for hours. The ship will not wait for you if you come back late.

Thanks Kitty9 & John Bull. We get dropped off at Asia Hotel in Ratchathewi for 4.5 hours and reading everyones feedback this isn't enough time to do anything other than shop at the numerous malls. Yes Kitty9, that is a big fear of not making the trip back on time so I will investigate private tours and thank you so much for the roll call info John Bull, I will enjoy that forum and I didn't know it existed. thanks for you time, so excited for the cruise.