Er

tangu23

I was very impressed with the care on the ship in Jan. Much as I regretted having to experience it.

My sister got very ill after a snorkel trip with oxygen saturations dropping etc. They had all the base medical care we could have asked for. Able to do xray, IV, lab tests, EKG and the care was exceptional. Thought it was pneumonia initially and had to debark in Dominica when ship left port. Before that though they actually stayed with her (DR and nurse for 2 + hours watching and caring for her.

Now being put off in Dominica with horrific medical care (that is your worst fear, rusty beds, had the IV from the ship, no sheets or pillows, dirty room, overflowed toilet.....yikes.....

However I must say the care Carnival gave us was exceptional. And luckily she did do ok, took us three days to get home but I got her out of the "clinic" on Dominca as soon as possible since we assumed it was pneumonia since they did nothing but a xray and rarely even checking her though she was in for low oxygen saturations.

And actually I thought the cost charged for the Dream clinic was very reasonable for the constant care and all the testing done. Everything reimbursed by trip insurance luckily.

Turned out to be a heart attack but all is well and off for our new adventure

I was very impressed with the care on the ship in Jan. Much as I regretted having to experience it.

My sister got very ill after a snorkel trip with oxygen saturations dropping etc. They had all the base medical care we could have asked for. Able to do xray, IV, lab tests, EKG and the care was exceptional. Thought it was pneumonia initially and had to debark in Dominica when ship left port. Before that though they actually stayed with her (DR and nurse for 2 + hours watching and caring for her.

Now being put off in Dominica with horrific medical care (that is your worst fear, rusty beds, had the IV from the ship, no sheets or pillows, dirty room, overflowed toilet.....yikes.....

However I must say the care Carnival gave us was exceptional. And luckily she did do ok, took us three days to get home but I got her out of the "clinic" on Dominca as soon as possible since we assumed it was pneumonia since they did nothing but a xray and rarely even checking her though she was in for low oxygen saturations.

And actually I thought the cost charged for the Dream clinic was very reasonable for the constant care and all the testing done. Everything reimbursed by trip insurance luckily.

Turned out to be a heart attack but all is well and off for our new adventure

Glad it all worked out but surprised they would remove her from the ship for second rate medical care on Dominica.

My dad had a major heart attack on a cruise, and the care he got was probably on par with what he would have gotten in a small community hospital in the US. They actually shocked him, ran labs, X-rays, put him on a bipap machine, gave clot buster medication. They were at one point thinking of intubation him initially but decided against it because it would make evacuation more difficult. That said they will try to get you off the ship as quickly as possible.

This also happened on the breeze, so I'm not sure if it being a newer ship they had more resources.

Also glad it worked out, but surprised they couldn't diagnose a heart attack with access to EKG and lab tests.

I personally am not surprised. When my DH had a heart attack three years ago and was rushed to a decent hospital in Houston, they initially diagnosed a seizure (no history of seizures). After several hours they were about to release him when somebody basically came rushing in saying "No, wait!".:rolleyes: An enzyme test had come back showing a heart attack. No other indications. Fortunately everything worked out, and he is now well with a stent and a new aortic valve, but heart attacks can be sneaky!

I personally am not surprised. When my DH had a heart attack three years ago and was rushed to a decent hospital in Houston, they initially diagnosed a seizure (no history of seizures). After several hours they were about to release him when somebody basically came rushing in saying "No, wait!".:rolleyes: An enzyme test had come back showing a heart attack. No other indications. Fortunately everything worked out, and he is now well with a stent and a new aortic valve, but heart attacks can be sneaky!

I'm glad they caught it before they sent him home and happy to hear he is doing well!

The enzyme test is a great tool. Those enzymes found are the type only from damaged heart tissue. As for an EKG, the results show only what is going on during the attack, not what is going on after the fact.

The enzyme test is a great tool. Those enzymes found are the type only from damaged heart tissue. As for an EKG, the results show only what is going on during the attack, not what is going on after the fact.

Actually a heart attack can be diagnosed after the fact by permanent EKG changes called ST elevation. STEMI = ST Elevated Myocardial Infarction.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No xray machine on the Fascination when my daughter fell down a flight of stairs. They didn't "think" anything was broken but wanted us to go to Nassau to check it out. Pay upfront and wait for hours- we chose not to because she seemed fine. I guess every ship is different.

I spent a good portion of a cruise on the Fantasy hooked up to an IV. They put the catheter in my arm and would just plug into that a few times a day- so no multiple needle pokes. Then they would wrap an ace bandage over it until I needed another dose of meds. They had quite an arrangement of antibiotics and pain meds. If a little ship like Fantasy had that capability, I am sure the Dream has even better facilities.