Dining Room Attire

kamari

Just popping in to see how may have changed their views on this topic based on this thread. None? Ok. Cool.

Also wanted to see if anything new has been introduced on this topic that had been beaten to death years ago. Nope? Alright, carry on.

[quote name='cruzeluver']Just popping in to see how may have changed their views on this topic based on this thread. None? Ok. Cool.

Also wanted to see if anything new has been introduced on this topic that had been beaten to death years ago. Nope? Alright, carry on.[/QUOTE]

So.... Im not the only one?

I'm surprised this thread still exists.

Here's the reality. Whether you follow the suggested dress or not, you have no control over other people. So instead of wasting vacation time getting annoyed or taking the time to complain that someone is not dressed to your liking, you just need to let it go or sail a more formal cruise line.

Carnival, Norwegian and Royal are not trying to be upper tier cruise lines. They are there to appeal to a wide range of people with a wide range of finances. Hence the reason the dress codes have changed and why they are lax in enforcing them.

More and more people don't like to get dressed up. Vacation for them is more relaxing and like it or not, that fits the type of cruiser that mass markets appeal to. If you want to have super formal you have to pick a line that is strict with their requirements. Isn't there one that doesn't even allow shorts after 6pm?

And just as a side note people reference work dress, wedding and church a lot on these types of conversations. And again these things have also become much more casual. At my work people wear flip flops, I've been to a wedding where the bride wore flip flops too and church is significantly less formal then it used to be. Like it or not times have changed. And just because someone dressed casual doesn't mean they are dirty or look sloppy.

Has anyone notice that no matter what side of the fence the poster is on, it was all about me, me, me, my, my, my????? Whatever happened to respecting others?

If there is a suggested dress for the evening, please do your best to comply. If you prefer causal and it's a suggested "dress up" evening then wear your best shorts, tees cover-ups or whatever out of respect for others. Believe me, it won't hurt!

[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']Nice sentiment but not exactly the truth. Originally "formal night" was an homage to the past....bringing that 1920's ocean liner atmosphere to a vacation cruise (aka the "titanic cruise for first class passengers). But now, a hundred years beyond the Titanic, elegant night for the cruise line is mainly about selling pictures to those that want keepsakes of them and their families and friends "dressed beyond what they probably do within the scope of their normal lives". Thousands have moved beyond that meme.

If someone wants a "picture" reflecting that image...good on them. But many passengers have foregone that for family pictures that "actually" reflect who they are and don't want the hassle of "dressing-up" to eat a banquet meal. Besides I am not a piece of furniture in a dining room...only there to create an ambiance...I am a vacationer that wants a relaxing 'served' meal not a help-yourself dinner in the buffet.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]I appreciate your response.

Since I said nothing about the origins of "formal night," my comments cannot be described as "not exactly the truth." [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed]Little of the discussion on this thread is about truth or falsehood, or even fact[I],[/I] but about opinion, perspective and emotions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Regarding "truth," however, it is not true that I said that diners were merely "a piece of furniture in a dining room...only there to create an ambiance." I said that diners are visible, hence become a part of the ambiance, just as other visible aspects of the restaurant do. Though this may not be your perspective, it is the perspective, I believe, of many.

If people did not have differing viewpoints, this thread would not exist. I have no interest in winning folks over to any viewpoint, just to help some see that there is rationale behind viewpoints other than their own.

[/COLOR]

[quote name='cruzeluver']Just popping in to see how may have changed their views on this topic based on this thread. None? Ok. Cool.

Also wanted to see if anything new has been introduced on this topic that had been beaten to death years ago. Nope? Alright, carry on.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Don't you just love it?[/COLOR] ;)

[quote name='TX Catty Cruiser']Has anyone notice that no matter what side of the fence the poster is on, it was all about me, me, me, my, my, my????? Whatever happened to respecting others?

If there is a suggested dress for the evening, please do your best to comply. If you prefer causal and it's a suggested "dress up" evening then wear your best shorts, tees cover-ups or whatever out of respect for others. Believe me, it won't hurt![/QUOTE]

It too should be mentioned to those that choose to "dress up" in gowns and tuxs, etc., please be respectful of those that choose to wear dress pants, collar shirts, sparkly tees and skinny legged slacks - they to have "dressed up" in their own way.

[quote name='SeagoingMom'][COLOR=DarkRed]I appreciate your response.

Since I said nothing about the origins of "formal night," my comments cannot be described as "not exactly the truth." [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed]Little of the discussion on this thread is about truth or falsehood, or even fact[I],[/I] but about opinion, perspective and emotions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Regarding "truth," however, it is not true that I said that diners were merely "a piece of furniture in a dining room...only there to create an ambiance." I said that diners are visible, hence become a part of the ambiance, just as other visible aspects of the restaurant do. Though this may not be your perspective, it is the perspective, I believe, of many.

If people did not have differing viewpoints, this thread would not exist. I have no interest in winning folks over to any viewpoint, just to help some see that there is rationale behind viewpoints other than their own.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

You are much too literate and well spoken for this thread... may i bump you to Regent and save you from this ccl drivel?:p
I 100%agree with all your statements! Edited by tinkr2