Do last minute deals to Alaska exist?

smariner

Due to a last minute change in our vacation plans, we are considering an Alaska cruise (from Seattle) 2-3 weeks from now. NCL Pearl & Jewel still seem to have many rooms available - but the prices don't seem any lower than advance prices.

Do last minute deals to Alaska exist anymore? I heard that some cruise lines stopped offering last-minute deals. Any point in waiting a few more days, with the hope of getting a better price? Also, how often does NCL update their prices?

Edited by smariner

I don't know for sure, but it sure doesn't seem that way. Prices continue to go up on balcony's on our cruise on the Pearl at end of August. They just raised them again last week. I was shocked! They are now $475 per person higher than what I paid when booking in March 2015. And we got the totally "free" UBP (no prepaid gratuities). I am so grateful I booked when I did. I personally would not have been able to afford current pricing :eek:

Due to a last minute change in our vacation plans, we are considering an Alaska cruise (from Seattle) 2-3 weeks from now. NCL Pearl & Jewel still seem to have many rooms available - but the prices don't seem any lower than advance prices.

Do last minute deals to Alaska exist anymore? I heard that some cruise lines stopped offering last-minute deals. Any point in waiting a few more days, with the hope of getting a better price? Also, how often does NCL update their prices?

Not at this time of the year.

According to the site I monitor with last minute deals, you can still sail the NCL Sun on Aug 29 in either inside or oceanview for $599 or on Sep 12 for $499 (inside) or $549 (oceanview)

If you're not married to NCL, RCCL has a $445 rate on Sep 2 and HAL has a $499 rate on Sep 4

Balconies tend to not be discounted much. I've sailed this route in an inside and had no problems with it at all

Hope this helps,

Brian

Last minute deals exist, but only for undersold dates and itineraries.

If your date and itineraries are not flexible, most likely you will not get much deal.

Currently the best offers are on southbound NCL Seward (Anchorage) to Vancouver: Aug 01 OV $599/ Bal $999, Aug 29 : OV $599

You can get Seattle roundtrip on HAL for mid august for $729 internal or 829 OV.

Edited by lixogab

We've found that last minute deals aren't really last minute, but more like last hour. When we found our deal for Alaska, it was on Princess, so the more you keep your options open, the better chance you have.

You might want to sign up for HAL emails. I've received a few offers this year for bal GT rt Seattle for $799 3&4 sail free with some perks although can't remember what perks were. Hal is nice for Alaska because they have the covered pool with nice padded loungers for inclement weather, teak deck chairs on promenade, pretty much same itineraries. They've also relaxed dress code and for Alaska summer it's the same crowd they have on NCL Alaska (many families.) Have also received some enticing Celebrity offers with the bev pkg that includes canned sodas, speciality coffees, grats and water bottles. The offers for Celebrity have been priced not too much less than NCL though and no glacier bay for the offers I've received.

Haven't received any offers for NCL this year and don't see any last min major discounts any more. In 2014 we sailed last min rt Seattle August on the Pearl inside GT for $179 pp wa resident rate. I remember the taxes and port fees were more that the cruise. Sailed the Pearl 2 bed Haven suite in May of 2014 for $3900. I don't see a balcony room for that price any longer. "Free" booze has a price I guess.

According to the site I monitor with last minute deals, you can still sail the NCL Sun on Aug 29 in either inside or oceanview for $599 or on Sep 12 for $499 (inside) or $549 (oceanview)

If you're not married to NCL, RCCL has a $445 rate on Sep 2 and HAL has a $499 rate on Sep 4

Balconies tend to not be discounted much. I've sailed this route in an inside and had no problems with it at all

Hope this helps,

Brian

Thanks Brian for checking the prices - it's much appreciated. I should have mentioned earlier that the sailing start dates needs to be between Aug/13-Aug/22.

You might want to sign up for HAL emails. I've received a few offers this year for bal GT rt Seattle for $799 3&4 sail free with some perks although can't remember what perks were. Hal is nice for Alaska because they have the covered pool with nice padded loungers for inclement weather, teak deck chairs on promenade, pretty much same itineraries. They've also relaxed dress code and for Alaska summer it's the same crowd they have on NCL Alaska (many families.) Have also received some enticing Celebrity offers with the bev pkg that includes canned sodas, speciality coffees, grats and water bottles. The offers for Celebrity have been priced not too much less than NCL though and no glacier bay for the offers I've received.

Haven't received any offers for NCL this year and don't see any last min major discounts any more. In 2014 we sailed last min rt Seattle August on the Pearl inside GT for $179 pp wa resident rate. I remember the taxes and port fees were more that the cruise. Sailed the Pearl 2 bed Haven suite in May of 2014 for $3900. I don't see a balcony room for that price any longer. "Free" booze has a price I guess.

Thanks for the detailed response. My perception was that HAL tends to have older passengers...thanks for helping reset it. I will look into HAL also.

Thanks Brian for checking the prices - it's much appreciated. I should have mentioned earlier that the sailing start dates needs to be between Aug/13-Aug/22.

August 19 on RCCL southbound.

Inside $633

Or if you have past military service, oceanview = $540 and balcony = $796

Hope this helps,

Brian

Not this year for Alaska- as I've been checking. A month ago things were looking promising, but the last two weeks prices have gone up and many categories selling out. It's all about supply and demand. Good prices are usually if there's a lot of availability. The best deals have been for the European cruises. I did 3 cruises over 2 months at great prices in April/May/June. A TA on the Jade, Barcelona to Venice on the Spirit, followed by the Jade 14 day Adriatic/ Greek Islands.

Thanks for the detailed response. My perception was that HAL tends to have older passengers...thanks for helping reset it. I will look into HAL also.

Sure. You might also want to sign up for princess emails. Haven't sailed with them but they send emails for stop drop and roll? Last min and some good inside prices. The emails for private sales with HAL and princess are typically about $100 or more pp less than any advertised price.

Also perhaps check out one way cruise and flight home or to ANC. Delta is competing with Alaska Airlines now for business so both have some good flight deals. I regularly fly daughter to and from Anc. If similar price I would choose Alaska air just bc flights seem to depart on time where Delta seems to be late more often than not.

Regarding HAL, they seem to have many of the same types of activities offered on board. You won't see the dj dance party music by the pools and bars but they did offer good live music, more like something i would enjoy on land, like a guy with a guitar who could sing Beatles to Jack Johnson. Hal tries to seat you with others in mde but we prefer a table alone and they obliged.

Of course a balcony is great but inside staterooms really aren't that bad. No mega ships sail to Alaska so plenty of good deck spaces. If you are looking for best price I'd check out all the lines-even carnival. For Alaska in August all the lines are going to have about the same passenger mix. There's also pleanty of hiking that can be done for free in ports. You can spend a fortune on excursions or get out and hike for free, with trails often right off ship so no need for even taxi.

I will be doing my 4th and 5th weeks in Alaska on the Sun in August. The most I will have paid for all balconies is $799 pp My first cruise was on HAL the first week in May booked it 5 weeks out, no perks. My 2nd and 3rd I did the Sun b2b. Booked that cruise 5 days out. No single supplement, no perks. I booked my next Sun cruise 6 weeks out, no perks. I used 3 different travel agencies Used $1500 in cruise next credits to help my costs even more. I check out about 7 or 8 travel agencies at least 3 to 4 times a day. I have seen prices not move but sometimes i have seen what I would call hourly specials and have jumped on them. I always book GTY cabins for the lowest price and there is no bad side when you are cruising Alaska.

So good luck and be happy when you pull the trigger. After all you are going on a cruise.

We booked our 8/2016 Pearl Alaska cruise 19 months ago. The only price drops occurred 1, 2 and 4 months later. Eventually to $2000 less than the original price total. If I was to book the same balcony today, it would be $2600 more than I paid. Booking sooner rather than later seems better for Alaska.

Edited by Heather1972

I saw inside GT tonight for the Pearl 8/14/16, wa resident rate of $775 based on 3 in the room (which is what I think you have?). Total was $3010 with no perks or $300 more if you want the UBP perk for 1st two. That's all in cost with taxes and port fees and UBP grats. Does not include dsc.

If you book with a ta you'll get some extra obc. I used a site where you enter date, ship, cabin category and then the site has ta's contact you with quotes. Last cruise I got a quote for considerably less than anyone else with extra obc. Google for this bc you can't mention other sites. Big box warehouse ta will give you a c..... Gift card now and they no longer discount price but better than nothing.

I saw inside GT tonight for the Pearl 8/14/16, wa resident rate of $775 based on 3 in the room (which is what I think you have?). Total was $3010 with no perks or $300 more if you want the UBP perk for 1st two. That's all in cost with taxes and port fees and UBP grats. Does not include dsc.

If you book with a ta you'll get some extra obc. I used a site where you enter date, ship, cabin category and then the site has ta's contact you with quotes. Last cruise I got a quote for considerably less than anyone else with extra obc. Google for this bc you can't mention other sites. Big box warehouse ta will give you a c..... Gift card now and they no longer discount price but better than nothing.

Thanks a lot! Just checked this -- i am not able to replicate the $775 price; GT rooms are not showing on NCL.com now. I'm getting $860 (triple occupancy) for an assigned room. Will try later.

Edited by smariner

Thanks a lot! Just checked this -- i am not able to replicate the $775 price; GT rooms are not showing on NCL.com now. I'm getting $860 (triple occupancy) for an assigned room. Will try later.

Strange. I checked those prices on NCL just prior to posting that. Perhaps call? I think big box c is still open too. Put in 3 and wa resident. The August 14 Pearl sailing was the only one with wa resident rate. $775 GT no perks and a few $ more for inside GT but with perk of UBP. It came in at $300 more with extra couple dollars for fare and then the grats on pkg.

Strange. I checked those prices on NCL just prior to posting that. Perhaps call? I think big box c is still open too. Put in 3 and wa resident. The August 14 Pearl sailing was the only one with wa resident rate. $775 GT no perks and a few $ more for inside GT but with perk of UBP. It came in at $300 more with extra couple dollars for fare and then the grats on pkg.

I an able to see this price now. thanks!

Our group needs at least 2 cabins (total of 6 people)...I assume with GT, we can't be sure of getting two cabins nearby?

I an able to see this price now. thanks!

Our group needs at least 2 cabins (total of 6 people)...I assume with GT, we can't be sure of getting two cabins nearby?

I would assume no GT on location but would call a ta and find out. You may be able to pay a little more for cabin location choice if avail. Btw. I got an email from HAL. Your dates are unadvertised special for $799 but they may not have any insides left. Also got a stop and drop email from princess and no Alaska deals for your dates. I would guess the Pearl is the least expensive way to go at this point for sea rt. This close to sail things can change by the hour. Looks like everyone has very limited availability. According to yesterday lowest price all in but not including dsc was $6018 for two insides no perks, 6 persons. $300 extra per room for perks(including grats on UBP).

I would assume no GT on location but would call a ta and find out. You may be able to pay a little more for cabin location choice if avail. Btw. I got an email from HAL. Your dates are unadvertised special for $799 but they may not have any insides left. Also got a stop and drop email from princess and no Alaska deals for your dates. I would guess the Pearl is the least expensive way to go at this point for sea rt. This close to sail things can change by the hour. Looks like everyone has very limited availability. According to yesterday lowest price all in but not including dsc was $6018 for two insides no perks, 6 persons. $300 extra per room for perks(including grats on UBP).

Good to know that HAL has a special for $799. I haven't received any e-mails so far....how long after sign-up does one start receiving the prom e-mails, in general.

Good to know that HAL has a special for $799. I haven't received any e-mails so far....how long after sign-up does one start receiving the prom e-mails, in general.

Idk. But if you price out 3 to a room Hal shows sold out for insides, so it probably doesn't work for three. Taxes and port fees are more on Hal so regardless they will cost you more. calling a ta at this point is your best bet. They will be able to check directly with the lines for availability. When you signed up for Hal did they give you a mariner number? If so give that to ta, along with your latitudes number and have them check for WA resident rates, ksf, and also ask if there are any group reservations. Sometimes ta blocks a group of rooms. I know c big box does but I often have to ask them to check. It's usually some extra obc, a dinner... Nothing really big. If it's ta obc ask if it can be used toward dsc bc your dsc for 6 is a chunk extra on top of fare. Good luck and have fun on the cruise.

Availability on the Jewel (for Aug/13th) went from 20+ non-interior cabins available to sold-out in a couple of days.

Wow, that got sold out fast :-(

They sell out this close to sail date. Inventory can change by the minute and if you want to sail to and from sea and have set dates I would guess that now would have to be the time to purchase if you are ok with the prices. Wa resident rate can change at any min as well. The Pearl, if you are lucky is probably the last ship with two rooms for three.

Availability on the Jewel (for Aug/13th) went from 20+ non-interior cabins available to sold-out in a couple of days.

Wow, that got sold out fast :-(

May be they had a lot of GTYs and just assigned them.