Favorite things to see - S. America

High Pockets

In Rio there's Corcovado and Sugar Loaf. But be VERY careful in Rio. Out of all the places I've ever traveled throughout the world, this is the one city that I've been the most uncomfortable in. Way too much crime. It was even more scary than being in China, Vietnam or Thailand. Don't carry a wallet or any money with you, don't wear jewelry of any kind---not rings, earrings, necklaces, watches or bracelets. IF you have to carry money or a credit card, use one of those pouches that you wear around your neck and under your shirt. Keep nothing in you trouser pockets. When we were there, quite a number of our passengers were robbed/pickpocketed despite being warned about the city's dangers. The ship's photographer was robbed by men with broken beer bottles when she walked by herself just a block away from a large tour group.

In Buenos Aires there's a tango tour that's not to be missed and then any tour that takes you out of the city to visit the local gauchos. If there's a flightseeing tour of Antarctica, do that one.

If you have an opportunity to visit Iguazu Falls, I would highly recommend it. The Falls are one of the most spectacular natural wonders I've ever beheld. It's actually a series of a couple hundred waterfalls (depending on the extent of the rainy season). You can view it from both the Argentine and the Brazilian sides. Both sides are worth exploring.

Another highlight of my Cape Horn cruise was visiting the Punta Tombo penguin colony in Patagonia. There were literally hundreds of penguins in their natural habitat. We were able to walk among them with the only restriction being not to touch the penguins. It was fascinating, especially if you're an animal or penguin lover. We also saw rheas nearby.

High Pockets - Are you on the Regal leaving Rio on the 8th January? If you are I would like to invite you to our roll call for that cruise, it has been quite active and has an abundance of information on it. Click on Princess roll calls then on Regal and you will see us.

Thanks....Ken

Hold off to buy alpaca in Chile - I found terrific prices and quality at Lago Todos Los Santos which is one of the lakes used in crossing the Andes by ferry. Lunch at the hotel is lovely as well.

In Buenos Aires I did the Senor Tango show but I understand they're nearly all fantastic. Evita's crypt is interesting and she's in with an incredible crowd of movers and shakers.

Be sure to be awake for the Horn!

Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego is gorgeous. You can get your passport stamped (begging the pursor to release it helps) with an End of the World stamp.

In the Falklands there's a great pub and I understand a terrific smoke shop - it was closed when we were there. Between Christmas and New Years there's a week long celebration which includes Gymkana events and is pretty entertaining.

Parque Aiken del Sur in Puerto Chacabuco is lovely, ignore all the silly talk about long arduous hiking. It's a flat, gravel trail within a protected area. The highlight was lunch over looking the lake afterwards with unlimited Pisco, wine and food and much dancing!

Go, have a great time and plan for some relaxation days.

Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego is gorgeous. You can get your passport stamped (begging the pursor to release it helps) with an End of the World stamp.

Where do you take your passport in Ushuaia to get it stamped "End of the World"?

Hi. Darcie. Those passengers who were robbed. Did they sightsee on their own or were they in a large group. We are using Peter from private tours who will be with us from the moment we land in Rio until we fly back to BA the next day. Please advise.

Archived