help with elegant night attire on vista

dpws

To anyone who has sailed on the vista this summer can you tell me what are people wearing on the elegant nights, as a Brit who's cruised with British cruise lines and the dress code is formal and most wear a tux I am a bit confused as what to pack for the elegant nights, i am aware of the carnival dress code but on reading reviews I'm getting mixed messages on what's the norm, I'm easy whether it's suit and tie or smart shirt, i just want to get it right and fit in, many thanks

We just got off the Vista. Elegant nights were a mish-mash of all sorts of things. There were plenty of men in tuxes, so you wouldn't be out of place wearing one although most men wore a nice suit. Women were in gowns, cocktail dresses, and nicer pants outfits. If you want to be middle-of-the-pack, wear a nice suit and a cocktail dress, but I say you should wear what makes you happy.

Tracy, did you have set time dining?

We had ATD and I don't recall seeing 1 tux. I wasn't looking but I don't recall seeing any.

To the OP, you can wear anything from a pair of khaki's and smart shirt to a tux. Most seemed to be wearing a tie, some with a jacket, some without.

I'm sure it's not as formal as what you experienced on the other cruise line.

I started my cruise life on a European Carnival cruise and bought a gown as I was so excited. On elegant nights there was a mix with more people slightly dressy but we generally do long cruises.

Every cruise we go on I wear a gown/50s cocktail dress because they are easier to wear and look wonderful.

We had ATD and I wore my tux both nights.

Hubbie will be wearing his tux both nights and I have a couple of posh frocks I'll be taking.

I see it as wear what you want and not to be bothered what the rest of the crowd plan on wearing.

We've done a few Med cruises and have found that the mix that dress up is normally a lot higher than in the Caribbean.

Then again I do like to dress for dinner, be it elegant or casual night, I always change from my day clothes.

Most of us Brits do like to dress up when the occasion calls for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Vista...

Lots of gowns and formal dress suits (its more European than a tux) and a few tuxes in the atrium and dining room (we were anytime).

TBH I think tuxes are becoming a bit old hat at many events...not just cruises.

This is the mentality I don't like..... People wear tshirts and shorts because "that's what makes them happy."

Wear a suit like a gentleman OR Wear a dress/suit like a lady.

I don't think that's what the poster meant in this case. "what makes you happy" in a formal sense. Many cruisers would never wear a tux or ball gown, it would be a waste of money to buy one. However....what makes them happy in a formal sense, I would think, is what they would wear to a formal gathering. I may be wrong but I think a suit or even smart trousers and shirt with or without a tie, in these days, should pass for formal for a man and smart dress, whether long or short, or smart trousers and should be fine for a lady. We have been touring the States from Australia by motorcycle for the last five and a half months, and we just arrived in Sicily yesterday for a couple of weeks before moving on to Matera, then Greece, before last Med and TA. We are travelling light, no room for Tuxes or ball gowns. I think people need to be a bit more thoughtful to the different budgets that people have. After all, Carnival is one of the more affordable lines - before they make comments about why people are wearing what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Jamocall

Many thanks for all your replies, FYI I have decided to go with a suit and shirt and forget the tie, that for me will feel that I've made an effort especially as I don't dress formally for work, packing now for our cruise 0n the 26th this month 2 adults and 2 kids staying in an inside family harbour, if you have any questions feel free to ask