British Ilse Aug 12, 2016 Princess Carribean

celtiedog

My wife and I are trying to get a few more travelers to join our St Peter Port walking tour. we have 11 now but would like a few more as a buffer to keep the cost down. Below is the tour and contact info.

INFORMATION ON WALKING TOUR FROM CRUISE SHIP

Dear Guests

My tour starts at the disembarkation point (you tender ashore in Guernsey) where we all meet and I set the scene for the next 2 – 2.5hr walking tour.

The walk takes in the medieval history of the old port, with particular interest in Privateering, Trade, Piracy and of course smuggling! The Bubonic Plague in the 14th century hit the island hard, and half the population were wiped out in a few years.

Wars between ourselves and our nearest French neighbours intensified as we attempted to defend our shores for 600yrs. But the legacy left by the German Occupying forces have contributed to the death of our language, division of our families and destruction of some of our landmarks.

The tour links nicely to the international best seller – The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society novel written by American authoress, Mary-Ann Shaffer. The story tells of triumph over adversity during the five long years of Occupation, during which time half the population of the island evacuated to avoid conflict with the enemy. As a local guide, I have personal stories of what life was like for my parents, one forced to evacuate, one persuaded to remain on the island, unsure of how their lives would be changed forever.

Other unexpected guests who arrived on the island included the literary genius, Victor Hugo. He actually penned Les Miserables and Toilers of the Sea during his exile in Guernsey. I will recount the reasons why he chose Guernsey to be his home for 15yrs and explain a little more about this incredible poet & author.

Queen Victoria and her consort Prince Albert both adorn the town, in the form of grand statues! Their unexpected visit resulted in a tower being built by the Guernsey folk, two years after their short stay. I offer the chance for guests to climb the tower, where a magnificent view of ¾ Guernsey can be seen from the top ramparts. An excellent opportunity to photograph the other islands in the Bailiwick and your ship!

My tours are lively, interactive, informative and above all, fun. They are light-hearted but all historically researched. I guarantee to get you back to the port in time for your last tender, and will offer additional help or advice on where to go, what to see, or where to spend your last few hours, to gain the maximum out of your short stay on the island.

I hope this has been some help in making your decision. If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

My only concern is that if you form a group, you must all meet to disembark the ship at the earliest opportunity. There are many arranged tours through the shore excursion teams on board, and whilst you might be advised that they take priority on the tenders, this is not the case. As long as you all meet together, and obtain your tender pass, you will be entitled off the ship at the same time.

Please note: In the event you are unable to make the excursion, please can you contact me as soon as possible either by email or on the phone number below. My tours are usually fully subscribed, often with a waiting list for any available places. Failure to show for a tour could result in other guests having to pay an additional premium as the set price is divided by the number in the group.

TEL: (0)7781 413893 EMAIL: annettehenrytours@gmail.com

Many thanks

Bon Voyage!

We took her tour several weeks ago, it was very informative and entertaining.

one note- we paid with British pounds and she gave us "Guernsey currency" as change, not pounds, we did not spend it in port so we have a souvenir!