B2B on 2 different ships?

Seago2

Thinking of Glory and Vista in Miami. I need 15 days to make platinum and that's the only way I can think of (7/8). Has anyone done this in Miami? What is the in transit day like?

Thanks for your help-

It's a side 2 side. It's just like two different cruises. The packing up and unpacking is a pain and Platinum laundry is handy.

We did an 8 day cruise out of Fort Launderdale on the Freedom once, then drove up to Port Canaveral and boarded the Sensation the same day. If we are going to pay to fly to Florida, we might as well make it worthwhile.:)

I did it once. I was by myself and the two ships, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, were quite a distance apart, so I needed to take a taxi. The secret was not to tell the taxi driver where I was going until I was all loaded up and in the car! We went on down the way to the 2nd ship and I gave my bag to the porter. Then I had the driver take me on over to downtown Miami where I paid him and tipped him generously. After picking up a few things and having lunch at Bayside, I took another cab to the second ship. It was a relaxing few hours, and there was minimal waiting in line to check in when I got there. I enjoyed my own personal side to side cruises very much!

We did a S2B2B2S last year. (sort of) Between the last day on the third cruise and the first day of the fourth cruise we had an overnight stay at a hotel. But on the first to second leg when we had to switch ships it really wasn't so easy. We asked if Carnival could help in any way to get the luggage to the next ship but they couldn't. So we had to get it there our selves. It was about 3 ships away, not a big deal, but we are both handicapped so it was a bit of an adventure. So just be aware that you are on your own to move your luggage. A B2B is easier, but both absolutely worth it!

It isn't really a b2b. You would have to get you and all of your stuff through immigration and over to the other ship and start over.

A 15 day Hawaii cruise would do it.

why not?

It's a side 2 side. It's just like two different cruises. The packing up and unpacking is a pain and Platinum laundry is handy.

We did an 8 day cruise out of Fort Launderdale on the Freedom once, then drove up to Port Canaveral and boarded the Sensation the same day. If we are going to pay to fly to Florida, we might as well make it worthwhile.:)

Where did this term originate from? In cruising the last 25 years I've never heard this term used anywhere but on this site.:confused:

This is what cruise critic has to say about back to backs:

What are back-to-back cruises?

Back-to-back cruises are two cruises booked consecutively, whether on the same ship or on different ships. You'll want to let someone at the front desk know you're a back-to-back cruiser during the first part of your trip so arrangements can be made for you during the changeover day between the two sailings.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2327

Bill

Thank you for your replies. I'm aware that it isn't a true B2B and I've never heard the term S2S. I love B2B's, believe me if I could do one I could. But I could not find a way to do 15 or 16 days in the continental US- go look, it's impossible. Any ship that has 5 day cruises will have a 4 day in between. Even Vista has a 7 between two 8's, so no chance of a 16. Hawaii is not in my budget this year, no way.

It's my son (18) and me, both able bodied, so rolling the bags is not a problem. I'm hoping we get an expedited line so we don't have to kill the whole day in the terminal. We'll be Platinum on the second cruise so we'll be moved up that way but I was hoping it would be an even faster jump.

Thank you for your replies. I'm aware that it isn't a true B2B and I've never heard the term S2S. I love B2B's, believe me if I could do one I could. But I could not find a way to do 15 or 16 days in the continental US- go look, it's impossible. Any ship that has 5 day cruises will have a 4 day in between. Even Vista has a 7 between two 8's, so no chance of a 16. Hawaii is not in my budget this year, no way.

It's my son (18) and me, both able bodied, so rolling the bags is not a problem. I'm hoping we get an expedited line so we don't have to kill the whole day in the terminal. We'll be Platinum on the second cruise so we'll be moved up that way but I was hoping it would be an even faster jump.

In November we are doing a B2B, 15 days on the Magic. The first leg (7 days) is Western; the second (8 days) is Southern. We will be Platinum for both.

Hilarious!! :p:p:p

You've got to love the Carnival direct sales agents who answer the phone.

I call to inquire re: what the deposit would be. So a long, drawn out series of questions regarding the first Glory cruise (are you celebrating anything special? Would you like to sail out of New York, New York?) before she gets to what I already know but am just making sure: the deposit is $500.

Then she tells me she can't book Vista directly after. Why??? "Because of the Jones Act." Do they seriously just whip this out whenever they're confused? The Jones Act? How the H would that possibly apply here? So I start listing all the ways that this couldn't possibly be a violation of the Jones Act without saying I used to be a maritime lawyer because of course then I would sound like a jerk. But I was seriously worried that there was some other reason and she was just confused. Visions of becoming platinum dissolved before my eyes as I stared down at the Carnival site on my laptop.

So she checks with a supervisor and comes back and says it's because she tried to enter it as a B2B instead of two separate bookings. Um.... Of course it would be two separate bookings...

Anyway, that deposit is $750.

Turns out I have a 15% off from when Fantasy had no AC that's about to expire. So I'll have to book soon.

So it looks like I've got my plan, it thankfully doesn't interfere with the Jones Act LOL and I'll book soon.

Thanks for your help and the motto is: don't trust what the people who answer the phone say!

• 10 months later...
Thinking of Glory and Vista in Miami. I need 15 days to make platinum and that's the only way I can think of (7/8). Has anyone done this in Miami? What is the in transit day like?

Thanks for your help-

Seago2 did you wind up doing this? I'm thinking about doing the same thing next year out of Port Canaveral. Please share your thoughts if you did. Thanks!