Traveling alone with 2 young children

MoniMommy

I'm looking forward to sailing on the Carnival Sunshine in October. I will be traveling without my husband but with my children who are 2 and 4. I plan to have them spend time at camp carnival and time together. I want to eat ALL meals together. My children are well behaved and are used to eating at restaurants.

Any suggestions on the best place for lunch? We will eat in the MDR for breakfast or brunch each day and for dinner each evening. For lunch I would like to avoid crowds and would love it if I could avoid buffets. Getting plates of food and drink with two young ones (2 and 4) can be a bit challenging. They are too young to leave them at the table while I get the food. I am fearful that they will wonder onto the pool deck or somewhere else. I have to take them with me while I get the food and keep an eye on them at all times. While I have never heard of a kidnapping on a cruise ship I have to take the same precautions in safeguarding them that I would take on land.

Any suggestions about lunch will be much appreciated. I an mot a first time cruiser but this is my first cruise since having children.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

One possibility for lunch would be Cucina del Capitano. Free for lunch and a small upcharge for dinner. You fill out a card at your table for your choice of pasta and toppings and simply hand it in. They will bring your food to you! It is usually quieter for lunch and a bit more closed in than the buffet will be. To keep young ones close at hand. ;)

I will also be sailing on Sunshine in October (on the 1st to Bermuda) for first time so can't give you too many pointers. I just know this is one place we will be trying based on recommendations. I dislike buffets. :)

Edited by Bookbug53

One possibility for lunch would be Cucina del Capitano. Free for lunch and a small upcharge for dinner. You fill out a card at your table for your choice of pasta and toppings and simply hand it in. They will bring your food to you! It is usually quieter for lunch and a bit more closed in than the buffet will be. To keep young ones close at hand. ;)

I will also be sailing on Sunshine in October (on the 1st to Bermuda) so can't give you too many pointers. I just know this is one place we will be trying based on recommendations. I dislike buffets. :)

Thank you! Do you know is there are drinks there or do you have to get the drinks for the buffet? We can always get a tray of drinks and then head to the Italian restaurant. The children love spaghetti and meatballs.

Thank you! Do you know is there are drinks there or do you have to get the drinks for the buffet? We can always get a tray of drinks and then head to the Italian restaurant. The children love spaghetti and meatballs.

Almost 100% certain there is the standard drink station in there also. I know that on other ships that had a similar venue there was beverage service from waiters. Of course we were ordering wine but I am sure they will get other items. :o

Try to go early for every food venue. The fewer people around the better view you will have of your kids, the better seats you can get.

I found doing things early as possible helped a lot when I was alone with my kids.

Try to go early for every food venue. The fewer people around the better view you will have of your kids, the better seats you can get.

I found doing things early as possible helped a lot when I was alone with my kids.

Thanks this is a great tip! I'll be sure to arrive at the buffet early even a few minutes before the stated lunch time.

Do you think you'll be up early? If so, maybe something like this:

early morning:

grab something light from the breakfast buffet. Muffins...fruit. I believe the breakfast buffet opens at 6:30a (?). With kids that young, I would think you would be up and about early. There is usually plenty of seating that is close to the buffet. So the kids can sit at the table while you can still have a close eye on them. Or, they since you won't have three full meals, you should be able to carry everything on one tray.

late morning/noon-ish:

Seaday brunch in MDR

afternoon:

grab something small from the buffet. Again, if you're having just a few snacks, everything should be able to fit on one tray. Or have the kids carry their own drinks. (in the small, plastic cups). Tables will be more difficult to find close to the buffet, though.

dinner:

MDR

You also might want to grab some boxes of cereal at breakfast so they can snack on that in the afternoon.

Do you baby wear? You can pop your 2 year old on your back which will free up your hands (I'm sure your 4 year old will stay close by and can maybe help carry a plate). Then you'll have both hands to carry plates

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Italian restaurant is located on the port side of the Havana Bar area - aft Lido Deck - there are 2 beverage stations in the Havana Bar with water, iced tea, coffee and lemonade. There are lots of tables in Havana Bar and you can sit in there no matter where you pick up your lunch. You can get milk in the Lido - if you don't see any just ask an attendant.

You can get breakfast in the MDR daily. Lunch/Brunch is served in the MDR on sea days only.

Edited by summersigh

Do you think you'll be up early? If so, maybe something like this:

early morning:

grab something light from the breakfast buffet. Muffins...fruit. I believe the breakfast buffet opens at 6:30a (?). With kids that young, I would think you would be up and about early. There is usually plenty of seating that is close to the buffet. So the kids can sit at the table while you can still have a close eye on them. Or, they since you won't have three full meals, you should be able to carry everything on one tray.

late morning/noon-ish:

Seaday brunch in MDR

afternoon:

grab something small from the buffet. Again, if you're having just a few snacks, everything should be able to fit on one tray. Or have the kids carry their own drinks. (in the small, plastic cups). Tables will be more difficult to find close to the buffet, though.

dinner:

MDR

You also might want to grab some boxes of cereal at breakfast so they can snack on that in the afternoon.

Thanks, We will be using the MDR as much as possible . So we will eat there for breakfeast/brunch and for dinner. My main concern is lunch.

Thanks, We will be using the MDR as much as possible . So we will eat there for breakfeast/brunch and for dinner. My main concern is lunch.

On sea days how about going to the MDR brunch twice? Early for breakfast and just after noon for lunch?

If you need a little something to carry them over between that early lunch and evening meal in MDR then the deli might be great options. You could have the kids wait in line with you while you ordered, seat them close by and return to pick up your order.

Also, I can almost promise you a staff member would be happy to help carry a tray. Carnival does customer service as well or better than most cruise lines.

Having cruised with little ones I can tell you the cruise will be different but I will also be one for making wonderful memories.

Most ships no longer provide trays in the buffet, but if you order room service you can save you tray to take with you. Also little ones don,t eat much so you could fill your plate with your food, then a second plate with food for both the children. Simply slip another plate under a full one to divide the childrens food. Some might disagree, but I see no harm in asking a staff member to bring you drinks. Good luck, relax and have fun.

Agree with a previous poster about the brunch. Go for breakfast, then a few hours later do lunch.

The MDR is closed on port days for lunch. Check to see if what is open on sea days. The times and locations are on the back page of the Fun Times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My kids are teens now, but here's an idea that popped into my head.

Kids are in Camp Carnival. Mom grabs sandwiches, fruit, whatever from lido buffet, and takes into cabin. Then Mom retrieves kids, and takes down to cabin for lunch, free from distractions. Then naps, if applicable, or a quick trip back to lido for ice cream :D

Edited by JenSDCA

Kids are in Camp Carnival. Mom grabs sandwiches, fruit, whatever from lido buffet, and takes into cabin. Then Mom retrieves kids, and takes down to cabin for lunch, free from distractions. Then naps, if applicable, or a quick trip back to lido for ice cream :D

Why didn't I think of that. My room is on the lido deck. I may try the buffet one day but if it's too stressful we'll do this.

I'm looking forward to sailing on the Carnival Sunshine in October. I will be traveling without my husband but with my children who are 2 and 4. I plan to have them spend time at camp carnival and time together. I want to eat ALL meals together. My children are well behaved and are used to eating at restaurants.

Any suggestions on the best place for lunch? We will eat in the MDR for breakfast or brunch each day and for dinner each evening. For lunch I would like to avoid crowds and would love it if I could avoid buffets. Getting plates of food and drink with two young ones (2 and 4) can be a bit challenging. They are too young to leave them at the table while I get the food. I am fearful that they will wonder onto the pool deck or somewhere else. I have to take them with me while I get the food and keep an eye on them at all times. While I have never heard of a kidnapping on a cruise ship I have to take the same precautions in safeguarding them that I would take on land.

Any suggestions about lunch will be much appreciated. I an mot a first time cruiser but this is my first cruise since having children.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Just wish you good luck.

Great Idea!