Audio Recorder to combat GoPro quality?

So based on some replies on a previous post of mine, I decided to purchase a GoPro to capture my wedding at sea since DSLRs are just not made for that. Since the audio on a GoPro is not so great, I was looking into alternatives; either an external mic or a separate audio recorder. I was watching a YouTube video where someone recorded a wedding and used a zoom h4 4 track recorder to capture the audio and it worked very well for them. Since $280 for the H4 seems like a little overkill for what will probably be a one time use... I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an alternative that might suit the purpose? I found a Tascam DR-05 recorder for $120, anyone know if that would suffice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You know that GoPro cameras don't zoom, right? They're wide-angle, period. If that's how you want to capture a wedding, I give you mad props...closeups of adults, particularly adult women, with wide-angle lenses tend to result in divorces, death, or worse.

That said, if you're looking for gear for a one-time use, rent it. http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/video/accessories/audio/field-recorders

I haven't seen the other thread, so I'm assuming the gopro is because intimate contact with water is expected?

If so, wouldn't the same go for the mic?

The GoPro would have a secondary use as a waterproof camera for other activities, but waterproof isn't needed for the wedding.

You know that GoPro cameras don't zoom, right? They're wide-angle, period. If that's how you want to capture a wedding, I give you mad props...closeups of adults, particularly adult women, with wide-angle lenses tend to result in divorces, death, or worse.

That said, if you're looking for gear for a one-time use, rent it. http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/video/accessories/audio/field-recorders

What I figured I'd do after researching is film in 4K 30 fps to capture the wide angle and then in post down-convert to 1080P and perform manual zooming / cropping if necessary. The examples I've seen online look pretty good!

I also learned after I purchased the GoPro that my iPad films in 4K as well... So I purchased a setup so I can mount an iPhone, iPad, and GoPro at different angles.. I'm going to record audio on all of them, plus I purchased a Zoom H5 and will record audio with that. I don't know if they'll let me but since I paid for a light and sound tech to set up mics, I'm going to see if they'll let me pass the feed into the H5. Otherwise I'll do the built in stereo mic. The music and ceremony will be over a PA so it shouldn't be an issue picking it up.

I was going to buy or rent a digital camcorder but there is no one to operate it, zoom, pan, etc... So this seemed like the logical choice to me... But I could be wrong.... Better than having no video / audio at all though!

Any thoughts?

-Keith

I was going to buy or rent a digital camcorder but there is no one to operate it, zoom, pan, etc... So this seemed like the logical choice to me... But I could be wrong.... Better than having no video / audio at all though!

Any thoughts?

-Keith

Ha, been there dun that. I recorded my wedding and it was kind of funny IMO when I disappeared to change the camera just after the ceremony.

A guys got to do what he's got to do.

I did it from the judges point of view, yup at a court house. That way we could see family also.

What I figured I'd do after researching is film in 4K 30 fps to capture the wide angle and then in post down-convert to 1080P and perform manual zooming / cropping if necessary. The examples I've seen online look pretty good!

I also learned after I purchased the GoPro that my iPad films in 4K as well... So I purchased a setup so I can mount an iPhone, iPad, and GoPro at different angles.. I'm going to record audio on all of them, plus I purchased a Zoom H5 and will record audio with that. I don't know if they'll let me but since I paid for a light and sound tech to set up mics, I'm going to see if they'll let me pass the feed into the H5. Otherwise I'll do the built in stereo mic. The music and ceremony will be over a PA so it shouldn't be an issue picking it up.

Any thoughts?

-Keith

The H5n will serve you well. I use the H6 now, and the H4 in the past for my video business and both perform perfectly. Even if you tap into the mixer I would still run the stereo mics recording on a separate track as backup. I've had plenty of bad feeds from sound boards to make me be extra cautious.

The idea of zooming by cropping is a good one, I've done it when I just can't get close enough for my subject but I would advise setting up your GoPro at the distance your going to use for the wedding and doing a trial run with your fiance. GoPro's have a lot of distortion with their ultra-wide angle and cropping/zooming in may give a bad look depending on how close/far you are from the lens. You're right, better than nothing, but the iPad may give you a better shot.