Gluten-free diet accommodations?

kheilmann

Does anyone know how well Carnival is able to accommodate a gluten-free diet? We are sailing on the Miracle soon and I'm wondering for my son. Thanks!

I have Celiac and Carnival handles gluten free better than any other cruise line and I have sailed all the major lines and some of the niche lines.

If you booked through Carnival or a Travel Agent, call them and let them know of your son's gluten free diet. Then, once you board, ask Guest Services where the Maitre 'D is and go there and let them know. The Maitre 'D is usually in one of the Main Dining Rooms. I double check because, even though, I let my TA know it was still not conveyed to the cruise line.

Once there the Maitre 'D will explain that you and your son will be shown the days dinner menu and you can choose what he would like and if it can be made gluten free they will do it. After that, an assistant maitre 'd will stop at your table with the next night's menu and you will again choose. Also you and your son's card will be flagged so if you eat in the steakhouse, or lunch in the dining room they will know. I would just mention it when you order. BTW: The chocolate melting cake can be made gluten free and, according to my wife, it's as good as the regular.

The Lido buffet is a little different. You will to need pay attention to what you are eating and if you're unsure if something is or isn't gluten free, ASK! I have never had a problem with someone giving me bad information, or if they didn't know, they will ask. Be careful of sauces and gravies over meats and fish.

On a very positive side. They have a pretty good gluten free crust for their pizza and you can get gluten free bread at the deli and Guy's Burger Joint.

If your son is Celiac, the ultimate responsibility is up to you to make sure he doesn't get gluten but Carnival does an excellent job in helping you fulfill that responsibility.

Don't worry but your son will not go hungry.

Take care and enjoy the cruise.

Mike

Edited by MMastell

Thank you for such an excellent and comprehensive response! My son will be especially happy about GF pizza! I don't think we said anything at the time of booking so I will be sure to follow up with Carnival.

We have other allergies (peanuts and tree nuts) but the process is the same--

Upon boarding go to the MDR and speak with the hostess about the first night's meal. They're usually available after 1, check your FunTimes. Towards the end of dinner your waiter or a hostess will take the next day's MDR meal order: breakfast, brunch (can be two meals- breakfast and lunch ;)), dinner. Order all that you want.

If you have assigned dining your waiter will know. If you have MTD a slip will be generated and will be given to your waitstaff when you're seated.

The only issue we've ever had was DD's food being served before ours.

The buffet is a minefield. Ask a hostess or one of the Managers (wearing officer whites). DO NOT rely on the line cooks as they mean well but do not know all the ingredients. Unlike the previous poster, we have had issues.

Room service cannot handle special accommodations.

Do a thread search for 'gluten' and 'celiac' for lots more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN