Your view of Hubbard Glacier from an aft cabin ...

claud925

I imagine - from the standpoint of the aft balconies - is only when the vessel is departing? Or perhaps, when the Captain makes the slow revolution, this would also present a good view?

I suppose one could just run around - down to the bow, over to port and starboard . . .;)

We had an aft cabin on our AK cruise and had an excellent view of the glaciers just about all the time. You can go out to the end of the balcony and see the glacier no matter what side the ship is facing. Granted, you can't see the entire glacier, but most of the time the view is very good.

We have been to Hubbard Glacier twice, the first time we were out on deck and just this past June we sat on our balcony. As you stated the ship revolves totally around so that everyone on the ship can see that beautiful glacier. So I think no matter where you are on the ship you will have a beautiful view.

Marilyn

We had an aft balcony but chose instead to be up on the deck that's above the pool deck where you had much better views and could go from one side to the other as necessary. The ships turns 360 a couple of times. When the ship finally decided to leave is when we back down to our balcony to watch the "sail away".

We were on the Infinity Sept. 3rd. cruise in 7203 aft. I had the same apprehensions that you have. If you can get an aft cabin, take it! We could see the glacier first from the left, then immediately from in front of us (rear), then from the right, and then as we were leaving, through our binoculars for a very long time after we left the glacier. We never left our balcony. My husband and I are very short and I was worried that if we had to go on a public deck, we would not be able to see anything. We never had to go off our balcony to get a better view of the glacier.

Trust me, you will love the aft balcony!

Carol

We were on deck for the glacier and had the most awesome experience. There must have been over a thousand people out there, all bundled up in blankets. You could have heard a pin drop, literally. It was almost the most awe-inspiring thing I have ever experienced. To be in that mass of people and no one chattering away. Only spoke in whispers. Wow!

We had an aft room on the Infinity and it was wonderful. The Captain did a 360 at the glacier and we saw all of it for a very long time. We were in the same room on the Summit and the Captain did a 180 and then back. We did not turn all the way around. While we saw the glacier all of the time, I felt a little bit cheated that we didh't turn completely around.

We had an aft balcony and believe me, the view was awesome. The captain rotated the ship slowly at least 3 times and we had views almost constantly of the glacier. The sounds of the ice cracking and breaking was incredible and then when a piece would fall into the ocean, I can't even begin to describe the sound. I took picture after picture from every angle on each revolution and enjoyed every moment. One nice thing about being on the aft balcony was that we didn't feel the wind and cold like the passengers on the upper deck. We were very comfortable and were just a step away to go indoors for a break if necessary. There are pictures on my website of Hubbard Glacier.

Garry

This last trip to Hubbard was our second visit to a glacier. The first we had a balcony but went up on one of the top decks like cujosmom described. The 360 view up there was something!

This last one we started in the bow, the heli pad was open, stayed there all through the approach to the glacier. It did start to get very crowded once we arrived so we then went to the promenade deck. We would be on the port side and hear a crack and ohhh and ahhhh from starboard, so we would run like hell through the ship to the other side, then hear something from port side, after doing that twice or three times and missing everything we realized how stupid we were. We then went and sat on our balcony, we would have been fine had we just stayed there. We had a port balcony, I am sure the aft views were spectacular.

My thanks to all of you who responded.

It's so nice to hear that the views will be spectacular. I will be taking my 30-year old daughter (who recently moved some 2,000 miles away from me:( ) on her first Alaskan cruise, and was able to snag an aft balcony (Carol - thanks for the reassurance - I'll be in 7203, too!) so I'm very excited, and anxious to give her an unforgettable experience - mother/daughter style.:cool:

Garry, your pictures are awesome - did you snap the humpback from your balcony?

claud925, thank you! No, the pictures were taken on an excursion out of Juneau with Capt. Larry. We learned about him on cruise critic and had a wonderful excursion with him. I definitely would recommend you book with him. You won't regret having the aft balcony. They're wonderful. Enjoy!

Garry

Archived