Celebrity Summit Nov. 5, 2016

RobertoWard

My partner and I will be sailing on Celebrity Summit, Nov 5. 2016 and are looking for others sailing on the same cruise

Dale & Richard

Hi Dale & Richard,

Thanks for starting a roll call here -- a compliment to the roll call we are on with you guys on the Celebrity roll call site. I have found that the roll calls here are usually much less active, and ones I have started often go without a response. So good to find you here.

Allen and I still have to firm up arrangements for Allen's mom (who lives with us) while we are away, but final payment comes up in about 10 days and we are definitely committed to this cruise. We need it, a lot. I think I can spot several other family couples on the other roll call, and hopefully they will find their way here as well.

We are flying in to San Juan on the morning of the cruise, so no enjoying San Juan before the cruise for us. We will have to make do with simply enjoying a week on Summit.

David

We also flying in on the same day as the cruise, as you say not much time in San Juan. But we will be back in San Juan on the Harmony in May, so we will do all I site seeing on that trip. We are from Houston TX, I have been on the Summit and Celebrity before but Richard has never been on Celebrity before.

At least I won't be the only man on the ship with a white beard :D. We are also hoping hat others will join us on this roll call.

Keep in touch

Dale & Richard

Not sure about everyone wanting white beard but I do know my partner loves it. :D. Between now and Nov. we both have a birthday, I will be 74 and Richard will be 55. I am retired (USAF) but Richard is still working. He is in IT in an gas and oil company here in Houston.

Dale & Richard

Not sure about everyone wanting white beard but I do know my partner loves it. :D. Between now and Nov. we both have a birthday, I will be 74 and Richard will be 55. I am retired (USAF) but Richard is still working. He is in IT in an gas and oil company here in Houston.

Dale & Richard

Age difference is nearly the same as us. I am retired from the Federal government (HUD) and will turn 76 a few weeks before our cruise. Allen is 55 and a public charter school administrator -- not retired yet. We were married three years ago, on the occasion of our 23rd anniversary. Summit is perhaps our favorite ship (5th cruise on her), and our 3rd or 4th time in our favorite aft cabin. Looking forward to mostly resting and staying on board on most port days. Old home week for this respite vacation. :)

David

We look like we have a lot in common. I see that on the other Summit board you gave out some information on formal night, lot of people enjoy formal night. We like sometime on formal night ware our full dress Kilts, not sure if we will bring them this time. Have you been on the Summit since the latest up grade? If yes how did you like them? Have not set up any tours yet, we have so much OBC this cruise, we plan to use that for bookings tours once we get on the ship. Looks like some nice one but we normal don't to a lot of tours.

Dale & Richard

On our Equinox cruise this past Spring, there was a gentleman from Scotland who wore his kilt on formal nights. Very impressive. Allen and I will probably wear either a jacket or a tie with our collared shirts, but probably not both. All depends on how we're feeling on the given night.

We have just made final payment, and our TA was able to find a slightly less expensive fare for our cabin (an aft C1) which came with 4 incentive packages rather than the two we received with our initial booking (drink package, OBC, gratuities and WiFi, rather than just drink package & OBC). Originally we had the classic drink package, but with this new deal our TA thinks it might be the premium package. The booking information was ambiguous. So I will call the Captains Club representative for clarification. Perhaps we have an even better deal than we expected, but I will be happy either way.

This will be a very laid back cruise for us -- we both very much need to chill and de-stress. I think we have been to all the ports of call, with the possible exception of Martinique. We may not get off the ship at all, which would be fine with me. Our aft cabin has a huge balcony, and the solarium/thelasotherapy pool will be uncrowded and very inviting on port days. And we will have some OBC to use at the spa :).

David

• 2 weeks later...

We are not sure about bring our kilts, adds a lot to the weight of the bags.

We also have the 4 incentive packages. As I said I have been to most of the ports but Richard has not, most of them will be new for him so we will be getting of at most of the ports. Also Richard has never been on Celebrity before so he is really interested in see the ship.

Looks like from the other thread there will be a very large number of Canadians on this cruise. Have you be eaten in Blu ? This will be our first to be able to eat there how is the food? We are also Elite members of the Captain's Club, and will be going to the Evening Cocktail hour how is it?

I hope we have others join us on this thread.

Dale & Richard

We are not sure about bring our kilts, adds a lot to the weight of the bags.

We also have the 4 incentive packages. As I said I have been to most of the ports but Richard has not, most of them will be new for him so we will be getting of at most of the ports. Also Richard has never been on Celebrity before so he is really interested in see the ship.

Looks like from the other thread there will be a very large number of Canadians on this cruise. Have you be eaten in Blu ? This will be our first to be able to eat there how is the food? We are also Elite members of the Captain's Club, and will be going to the Evening Cocktail hour how is it?

I hope we have others join us on this thread.

Dale & Richard

Hi Dale,

Yup, lots of Canadians on the cruise. Maybe not as many as might have been expected from the US as it is election week. But that is one of the reasons we chose this cruise. Vote absentee in advance, and get away from the craziness while it is happening :rolleyes:.

We have never eaten in Blu. We always sail Concierge Class, especially on M class ships so we can book our favorite aft cabin with a huge partially shaded balcony (we'll show you guys on board). And we have always been quite satisfied with the MDR. We have select (anytime) dining.

We have enjoyed going to the Elite cocktail hour for the "free" drinks, but now that we have a drink package we will get an even better choice of cocktails at any bar. Still the venue for the Elite function is very nice. The drink packages just give us all more choices, and some recent threads have sounded like the Elite hour has become more crowded with poorer service than previously. Worth checking out, though.

David

Edited by d&a Delaware

We are in Aqua Class on deck 11. Looks like a nice cabin. We are doing the same about the election, vote and get out of town. We also have select (anytime) dining but we are looking forward to the specialty restaurant and are thinking about getting one of the dinning package when we get on the ship.

We have used drink package on RCL, NCL and Viking and have always enjoyed the freedom it gives. But as you say we will try out the Elite cocktail hour. If its like the Diamond club on RCL its a nice place to meet people. Last time we were on NCL we had an aft cabin with a huge partially shaded balcony and enjoyed it very much. We should find a place to meet on the first day on the cruise.

Also looking to see all the changes on the Summit.

Dale & Richard

We are in Aqua Class on deck 11. Looks like a nice cabin. We are doing the same about the election, vote and get out of town. We also have select (anytime) dining but we are looking forward to the specialty restaurant and are thinking about getting one of the dinning package when we get on the ship.

We have used drink package on RCL, NCL and Viking and have always enjoyed the freedom it gives. But as you say we will try out the Elite cocktail hour. If its like the Diamond club on RCL its a nice place to meet people. Last time we were on NCL we had an aft cabin with a huge partially shaded balcony and enjoyed it very much. We should find a place to meet on the first day on the cruise.

Also looking to see all the changes on the Summit.

Dale & Richard

In my experience, the RCL Diamond cocktail happy hour is much nicer (and not so crowded for some reason) than our recent experience with Celebrity Elite nightly function. Makes no sense, but that is what we found. Maybe is a function of how many passengers with Elite/Diamond status are on a particular cruise.

Yes it would be nice to meet up with you guys on the first day. We can discuss and make a plan as we go forward here. In Aqua class, you will be assigned to Blu which is entirely anytime dining. We will have the MDR, in the section which is anytime. We usually do not go for the specialty restaurants, but we have a substantial OBC to use up on this cruise and will probably go at least once. Often there are discounts offered on the first night, so that might offer a chance to meet. The nighttime sail away from San Juan (really neat) and the 7pm (I think) muster drill complicates things, but again we can continue to figure out if there is an opportunity there.

If you wanted to email me directly, it is dscristy at gmail dot com.

David

Edited by d&a Delaware

• 3 weeks later...

Just 43 day until the cruise, we are sure looking forward to going on this cruise. We are both in need of a nice vacation. As I said Richard has not been to most of the ports we will be stopping in. So I am sure we will be doing a lot of tours. I think I would like a little more sea time, but that's just me.

We well be getting in to San Juan at 12:30 pm and have ground transportation to the ship. Look forward to enjoying a nice drink before we set sail :D. Were would be a nice place to meet on that first day?

Dale & Richard

Dale & Richard,

Sounds like we all want many of the same things from this cruise, but that we are likely to go about achieving those things in different ways. You guys will probably do a number of island excursions, Allen may want to manage a beach day or two on some of the islands. For the most part, I don't plan to get off the ship -- in large part, I admit, because I get around with a short leg brace and a cane, and will be using a small mobility scooter to get around the ship. Going ashore poses a number of issues, including that it is not safe for me to try to navigate soft sand at a beach. So I am very content to stay on board and enjoy the amenities (especially the thelasotherapy pool in the Solarium :D) available to me there.

Our flight arrives at SJU at 11:30 am, and we will go directly to Summit as soon as we can collect our luggage and get a taxi. Since we are sailing Concierge Class, once on board we will likely go directly to the Concierge Class embarkation luncheon (new perk from Celebrity), and after that Allen will most likely head for the gym and I will muddle around until our stateroom is available. Look for the guy with a white beard on a small mobility scooter :).

We are in stateroom 7212 -- leave a note or call and leave a message. Sailaway is late (and very scenic): 8:30pm. Muster drill is around 7pm. If we don't make contact around the ship first, we could meet for a drink at the Martini Bar, or at the Sunset Bar (behind the Oceanview Café) before the muster drill. Or (we have a very large aft facing balcony) we could have a drink on our balcony. OR, we could get together after the muster drill but before sailaway.

Let's see if we can't get together before muster drill. I'll be on the lookout for a couple of guys, one of whom has a white beard. Allen and I actually look much like we do in our pictures here, and I (of course) will be the guy with the white beard on a small mobility scooter :rolleyes:. And you can always send/leave a message at our cabin.

Looking forward to meeting you,

David

Edited by d&a Delaware

David & Allen: We get in to SJU and like you we will head right to the ship. We have RCL ground transportation to the ship. We are in cabin 1116. We are in Aqua Class don't know if we can go to the Concierge Class embarkation luncheon. I will have to spend some time showing Richard around the ship its his first time on Celebrity an the Summit.

Do you think there will be other gay's on this cruise? We like making new friends, and we are looking forward to meeting you guys. The last time I sail on the Summit the Martini Bar was where most of the gays meet. Oh by the way we would enjoy having drinks with you on you balcony, but you will also have to have drinks on ours sometime during the cruise. And we would enjoy having few drinks before the Muster drill. I have as I have said white hair and beard and Richard also has a beard but it is red with a little white in it. We both had our birthdays this month, so this cruise is our birthday gift to each other.

Looking forward to meeting you. :D

Dale & Richard

With all this information, I am confident we will be able to catch up with you guys for some introductory cocktails before the muster drill. My gaydar is not always reliable and fully functioning, but I believe the initial poster in the Celebrity Roll Call thread for our cruise (Celebrity Man) is family. Don't know his name, but early on he mentioned he will be sailing with his partner Marc. And several years ago he posted in a thread I also participated in (concerning our favorite cruise lines) here on the G&L board. I am sure we will run into others as well.

David

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys: Well its under 30 days before the cruise. We are sure looking forward to it. Richard could sure use the vacation, and so do I. I will also be happy to get away from all the election new, I will be so happy to be on the ship and not hear about it or talk about it to anyone.

I am so looking forward to being on the ship and have some fun, and to get away from work. I would like to send you a pic of us so you can pick us out, but don't know how to do that on here.

Looking to that first drink on the ship.

Dale & Richard

Dale,

Yes we are getting close, and both Allen and I are ready to get away for this cruise. I have no doubt we will run into each other before sail away the first evening. If you click on the "User CP" link in the navigation menu at the top pf the page, you will get to instructions that allow you to post a picture from your computer to your avatar or your signature. They show up as thumbnails, but that is what I (despite my technical illiteracy) was able to figure out for putting up our pictures. I have never figured out how to post a picture in an actual message here, but I bet Richard could help with that if that is what you want to do. But I don't think either of us will be hard to spot. If we haven't made contact first, maybe a plan to head to the Martini Bar around 5:30 or 6 will work :D. And we can always call each other's stateroom.

Here's hoping there will not be another Matthew stirring up trouble in the Caribbean in early November. That's like the turmoil we hope to leave behind. Allen and I have already voted. Time for our cruise.

David

• 4 weeks later...