Santorini - Oia by public transport.

nigkar

We will be visiting Santorini in September, and would like to visit Oia while we are there.

We will be onboard the Celebrity reflection, and will be docking at 14:00 depart at 21:00.

We usually do our thing at ports of call, trying to avoid the cruise excursions.

Could anyone give me information on how we can get to Oia by public transport?

Where we would catch the bus?

How long it would take ?

How much it would cost in a taxi if it's not possible by public transport. ( or if we share a taxi.)

How Oia compare with Fira, is it worth the journey ?

And if we decide not to do Oia, is there a nice beach nearby( and how we would get there )

Thank you for any information.

Santorini is a tender port. queue up for your tickets early (at least half and hour before the tickets are handed out) so that you can get to the dock at Santorini early.

from the dock you have three options to get up to the top to Fira....take the cable car (could be long queues going up but definitely will be long queues coming down), ride a donkey or walk. we took the cable car (there was no queue when we were there).

at Fira, you will need to walk to the bus station (check online). it was a sramble to get on the correct bus as there was no queue for the bus and also no sign on the bus (we just asked other tourists).

the fare was a very reasonable 1.80 E for the 30 minute scenic ride to Oia. you pay the conductor on board the bus.

the best part of Santorini is in Oia. the scenery is stunning. it is worth the effort to go to Oia.

remember to give yourself enough time to get on the bus from Oia to Fira and then down the hill to the dock and then on the tender boat back to the ship. it took us almost 2 hours to do this...in the afternoon (when it was not busy and without having to wait for the bus or cable car or tender) - we were lucky with our timings

Many thanks for the information.

I'm just a little worried over the time.

We have 7 hours, and with the tenders, cable cars and bus rides it doesn't leave time for errors.

May just stay at Fira.

Thanks for that.

After reading the post I think it would be best to stick to Fira.

I'd just be watching the clock all day.

Is there a beach near by, maybe we could spend the time just relaxing.

we had the same amount of time in port 1400 - 2100.

we opted not to see the sunset from Oia as this would have put lots of pressure on us to get back to the ship in time.

highly recommend it that you visit Oia as this is where the stunning scenery is to be found. Fira is interesting but Oia is the place to visit.

it's like going to Paris and not going to see the Eiffel Tower....

get your tender tickets early (queue for them about 30-45 minutes before they are handed out), this will get you to the dock on Santorini earlier than the others.

hop on to the cable car and walk to the local bus station.

hop on to the bus to Oia. walk around there for another hour.

hop on the bus back to Fira. take cable car and then tender back to ship.

it can be done.

We too were anxious about independently going to Oia but made it with time to spare. I can't imagine not seeing Oia at Santorini as it is one of the main features of the island.

Check what other ships are in port that day and what time they arrive and depart if possible to avoid some queues.

We went up on a donkey. It looked busy but not many people were actually getting on one to go up the hill. They do wait to go up with a string of donkeys but that didn't take long. I think walking on the donkey path would be dubious as sharing with all the donkeys and their doings looked tricky.

Once up the hill, have a map extract to go to the transport courtyard in Fira where there was a local bus from Fira to Oia as well as taxis. Knowing the bus timetable reduces anxiety.

We came back from Oia on the local bus which came back to Fira a different and slightly longer way.

There was no wait to come down on the cable car despite other ships being in port, but our ship departed just on sunset.

There are comments on catching a boat to Oia but no mention of catching one back to the port at Fira. I wonder would that help avoid the cable car queue on the way back to your ship?

If you were back early and so inclined, you could catch the cable car (perhaps without a queue?) back up for a look at Fira and rejoin the crowd to come down. I'm always less anxious in the queues if there are others from my ship in the same queue as I doubt that the ship would leave without a crowd of people.

When I get anxious considering missing the ship I work out what I would do to re-catch it at the next port. The more difficult it would be the less risk I take.

From memory all the beaches were away from Fira and required transport to get there.

Do enjoy your visit.

cands

Edited by cands

We have 7 hours, and with the tenders, cable cars and bus rides it doesn't leave time for errors.

May just stay at Fira.

We have been there many times and there is plenty of time. The main thing is the timing of the return bus from Oia. Allow plenty of time, we did the bus earlier than the last bus. Just in case it was full. We got in line and had no problem, if we had not gotten in line early we would have had to do the next bus. Oia so very pretty and we got lots of pictures, prices were high and felt like the best deals are in Fira for shopping and food. There was always a line for the cable car each direction, but there are lots of others in line also. When we have looked over the wall at the top by the cable car there can be over 100 people in line, just to give you an idea of the line for the tender to the ship. You won't be left behind by the ship when people are lined up for the tender. Walking up the trail where the donkeys go is not a good idea at all. It is nasty, smelling and slippery from the donkeys. Saw some people who slipped and fell in the MESS!! My husband thought he would walk up and went a short distance, turned around and took the cable car up.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

May just stay at Fira.

Get off of the ship "early", go directly to the bus station, and go to Oia, you will have plenty of time. I would suggest taking a bottle of water with you and snacks in case you get hungry. Then have lunch back in Fira. We rent a car now when we go and have a ball, so much to see and do in Santorini, one of my very favorite places to visit.

We too were anxious about independently going to Oia but made it with time to spare. I can't imagine not seeing Oia at Santorini as it is one of the main features of the island.

Check what other ships are in port that day and what time they arrive and depart if possible to avoid some queues.

We went up on a donkey. It looked busy but not many people were actually getting on one to go up the hill. They do wait to go up with a string of donkeys but that didn't take long. I think walking on the donkey path would be dubious as sharing with all the donkeys and their doings looked tricky.

Once up the hill, have a map extract to go to the transport courtyard in Fira where there was a local bus from Fira to Oia as well as taxis. Knowing the bus timetable reduces anxiety.

We came back from Oia on the local bus which came back to Fira a different and slightly longer way.

There was no wait to come down on the cable car despite other ships being in port, but our ship departed just on sunset.

There are comments on catching a boat to Oia but no mention of catching one back to the port at Fira. I wonder would that help avoid the cable car queue on the way back to your ship?

If you were back early and so inclined, you could catch the cable car (perhaps without a queue?) back up for a look at Fira and rejoin the crowd to come down. I'm always less anxious in the queues if there are others from my ship in the same queue as I doubt that the ship would leave without a crowd of people.

When I get anxious considering missing the ship I work out what I would do to re-catch it at the next port. The more difficult it would be the less risk I take.

From memory all the beaches were away from Fira and required transport to get there.

Do enjoy your visit.

cands

I personally would not take a boat to Oia, costly and longer in the long run. You have to wait for it to fill up.

the fare you pay for the boat to Oia covers your boat ride to the base of Oia, a bus ride to Oia itself and a bus ride from Oia to Fira.

at Fira, you would then have to make your own way down to the dock - cable car, donkey or walk down.

(there is no option for a boat ride back to Fira)

Edited by whimsy7
additional information

We will be visiting Santorini in September, and would like to visit Oia while we are there.

We will be onboard the Celebrity reflection, and will be docking at 14:00 depart at 21:00.

We usually do our thing at ports of call, trying to avoid the cruise excursions.

Could anyone give me information on how we can get to Oia by public transport?

Where we would catch the bus?

How long it would take ?

How much it would cost in a taxi if it's not possible by public transport. ( or if we share a taxi.)

How Oia compare with Fira, is it worth the journey ?

And if we decide not to do Oia, is there a nice beach nearby( and how we would get there )

Thank you for any information.

We are on Celebrity Reflection too that reaches Santorini on 21st Sept.

I have been thinking of taking the cable car up to Fira and then taking a bus to Oia. After spending some time in Oia, I would come back to Fira via Pygros (was thinking of some wine tasting if there is some time).

Theoretically it seems possible as long as we are well ahead of time to take the cable car down to the port. Other than this, if I think I am taking long in any bus queues at any point, I would just take a taxi to Fira to make it on time for my cable car.

I do wish to spend good time in Oia and some time in Fira for shopping.

Do let us know what you finally decide.

Get off of the ship "early", go directly to the bus station, and go to Oia, you will have plenty of time. I would suggest taking a bottle of water with you and snacks in case you get hungry. Then have lunch back in Fira. We rent a car now when we go and have a ball, so much to see and do in Santorini, one of my very favorite places to visit.

Our travel companions suggested renting a car, also. Is this easy to do? Do you know if they have vans? There are 8 of us.

Our travel companions suggested renting a car, also. Is this easy to do? Do you know if they have vans? There are 8 of us.

It is very easy to rent a car and drive around the island at your leisure.

We use Tony's. I am not sure if they have vans, but here is the site for you to check and inquire with them:

http://www.santonet.gr/rentals/tonys/

Rather than renting a car to Oia, has anyone rented a scooter? (Rent In Fira to Oia and back).

Is this doable or really too dangerous. We are fairly active and bike riders.

What is cost and how long would the ride be to Oia?

US Drivers license OK?

Can we fit 2 people on one? (Like a motorcycle?).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The fastest and easiest way to get to Oia is by water taxi from the tender dock for €15. Included is a shuttle up into the village and a bus ticket back to Fira.

Please, please don't ride the donkeys and please tell others on your cruise not to ride them. They are terribly abused. They are forced to run up and down all those steps all day long with no breaks for water, shade or rest. The donkey men poke them with sharp sticks or sticks with little metal tips they can conceal in their pockets and insert in the stick ends when necessary to keep these poor animals moving. The saddles chafe their skin and cause open wounds. This is a serious case of animal abuse and everyone who ignores this for the sake of convenience or "fun" is contributing to the perpetuation of the problem.

If you don't believe me do a Google Images search for "Santorini Donkey Abuse". Don't let this define your memory of Santorini!

The fastest and easiest way to get to Oia is by water taxi from the tender dock for €15. Included is a shuttle up into the village and a bus ticket back to Fira.

Please, please don't ride the donkeys and please tell others on your cruise not to ride them. They are terribly abused. They are forced to run up and down all those steps all day long with no breaks for water, shade or rest. The donkey men poke them with sharp sticks or sticks with little metal tips they can conceal in their pockets and insert in the stick ends when necessary to keep these poor animals moving. The saddles chafe their skin and cause open wounds. This is a serious case of animal abuse and everyone who ignores this for the sake of convenience or "fun" is contributing to the perpetuation of the problem.

If you don't believe me do a Google Images search for "Santorini Donkey Abuse". Don't let this define your memory of Santorini!

Totally agree , do not take the donkeys , I also refuse to take any horse and cart/carriage rides for the same reasons in other ports of call