My time dining question

First off, just wanted to say thank you so much for responding to all my previous questions. I do search the boards often, just hard on a phone and sometimes I miss things.

We have my time dining. But looking on our reservations (we sail in a month) it looks like I can reserve times to certain restaurants.

1) Do I need to book these now or can I do it on the ship?

2) How do I know what night is formal night? And if we aren't too formal can we still find a place to eat?

3) Do I need to reserve MDR that are part of this plan in advance? Or can we just show up whenever?

Sorry if these questions seem silly to everyone. But I can't quite figure this out. We have never sailed with RCL.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You don't have to make reservations for My Time, you can just show up whevever. If you want to make reservations, you can do it pre-cruise or onboard. If you are very particular about what time you eat, then I'd try to make reservations in advance.

If you post your itinerary, someone here will probably know the formal night schedule.

I was on Liberty last week. We did my timed dining 3 times (made 4 reservations but afternoon nap took away one). I made reservations before the cruise---about a month before. I based it off ports and what time we were going to be back on ship. I also based it off of formal nights because we don't like to dress up. We prefer to eat at the earlier times (530-630) because it's less busy.

You can make reservations online before your cruise (I think within 8-10 weeks before your cruise) or on ship but you have to call b/t 11-330. I noticed that when you are at different ports, you are usually not on the boat to make reservations.

I personally would reserve online because there were a few days people just randomly showed up without reservations and they either had to wait a long time or there was no space.

How long is your cruise and where are you going? Usually you can post online here and people will be able to to tell you what nights are formal. I know from the past, the first and last days are NOT formal nights. The second day is usually a formal night.

Even if you did reserve on a formal night, you can cancel or just not show up. It's fine.

Going back to your formal night question...

1) There are plenty of places to eat other than the MDR.

2) "Formal" is relative. While some on cruise critic seem to think anything less than a Tux/formal dress is gauche, not even a tie is required. Dress slacks and a polo shirt will be fine (I suggest a button down shirt though).

First off, just wanted to say thank you so much for responding to all my previous questions. I do search the boards often, just hard on a phone and sometimes I miss things.

We have my time dining. But looking on our reservations (we sail in a month) it looks like I can reserve times to certain restaurants.

1) Do I need to book these now or can I do it on the ship?

2) How do I know what night is formal night? And if we aren't too formal can we still find a place to eat?

3) Do I need to reserve MDR that are part of this plan in advance? Or can we just show up whenever?

Sorry if these questions seem silly to everyone. But I can't quite figure this out. We have never sailed with RCL.

Thanks again.

These are not silly questions at all. MTD is just like Freestyle on NCL. You can show up whenever you want, during serving times. You do not need to sign up ahead of time if you aren't sure of your activities. They often change once you are on the ship. We like to view the menu each day before making reservations.

When formal night is depends on the length of your cruise. Longer cruises may have 3 formal nights. Cruise lines have become fairly loose in their rules for formal nights. Somebody posted on a different thread that resort casual works even on formal nights and that explains it pretty well.

What other line(s) have you sailed?

We are sailing LOS out of Galveston for 7 nights September 11th hitting Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Does that help?

This is only our second cruise. Our first was a 4 night with Disney Dream. That's a whole other story.

When you all made reservations for a place like Chops Grill I assume it wasn't on a port day? Thanks for the help so far.

We did our first MTD last Oct and as previously mentioned, I first looked over our plans for each Port and there were two Ports with a late departure so didn't make reservations for those nights, all the remaining nights I selected the same time, then printed out my planner.

We fly to Copenhagen August 22, 2017 for 3 days pre cruise there and board on the 26th. The Vision is doing one which starts on the 22nd and we did lose some to that cruise, however I wasn't going to trade a Serenade Class for the Vision, although it did have two differant ports and two overnight stays while we have only one overnight in Reyjkavic.

itinerary:

Copenhagen

Oslo

Kristainsand

2 Sea Days

Reyjkavic Overnight

Akureyri

5 Sea Days

Halifax

Sea Day

Desembark in Boston.

The Vision will disembark in Cape Liberty which favored many who switched. Our flights will go Round Trip to Boston from Palm Springs, then 1 way Boston to Copenahgen on Norwegian Air once they open.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Good morning, no we will fly from Palm Springs Ca connecting in DFW to Boston, then have a Non stop from Boston to Copenhagen. We will return back to Boston off the TA then fly home so will book a Round trip ticket PSP to Boston. Our flight on Norwegian Air out of Boston is running right now $850.50 for Economy + for both my husband & I. Correction it is now showing for two, $960.80.

Edited by Desert Cruizers