Halfway point on Majesty Cruise ... Things ain't what they used to be

The first thing to say is that, despite some of the following comments, we are having a good time. It's nice to spend time together as a family, as we are always so busy at home. Jnr has also got some health problems, and we are coming home to a series of hospital tests, so it's good to forget reality for a while!. This is the first time we have done 2 weeks, but we have always enjoyed the Majesty, so decide to take the plunge this year.

So, on the plus side ... The waiters in all the restaurants (waiter service and buffet) are all fabulous, we have been very well looked after. We are on all inclusive drinks, and the drinks service is a bit hit or miss, it's good in the Jubilee, and in the area directly outside the jubilee, but not so good in Royal Fireworks (can take some time to get served, then a long time for drinks to come). The waiting staff just walk straight past, not sure what is going on. Cabin staff are brilliant, our room is always spotless (no towel animals this year though :-( ). Food is good, and plentiful... And drinks are also good. The ship itself, though looking a bit tired, is great. They have a team keeping her spic & span, who are doing a great job.

Now for the not so good stuff... And it's with a heavy heart I say this, as we have cruised a number of times with Thomsons, and have never had any complaints ... But the entertainment is not really up to scratch (or up to where it has been in the past). Maybe I have been spoiled, but personally, I've not found the cruise director to be quite as affable as in cruises past. The odd thing is, I've cruised with Paul before and had a great experience, but, not so much this time. I'm used to the CD being fairly visible, chatting to people, walking round the ship, engaging.. But Paul has just not been around that much. I mean, maybe he is busy in the office, I have no idea, but it seems a great shame, as he has been good previously. Adam, assistant CD is around a bit more, but neither of them seem to have the time to just sit & chat. Last time we had such a great CD, he seemed to know everyone after about an hour on the ship .. So like I say, maybe I've been spoiled! Maybe it's the same with the Entertainment Hosts, the thing is, if my job was reading out questions, I would 1) read them through before the quiz started 2) make sure I could pronounce everything on there, and, 3) understood the questions (that's before making sure they are right)...

There was one incident last week that sums it up for me: there was a game advertised, in Cruise News, to take place on deck 10 .. So the time comes, the host arrives, takes the equipment out, then just sits next to it looking fairly miserable, no announcement, no attempt to get anyone involved... Jnr and I decided to play, so went over.. where we were greeted with a grimace, so I asked if they were ok, and the answer ?? "I don't like the heat" . Now, I don't mean to be picky, but if you are working a cruise liner over summer, you are going to be in the heat. It's just come in, do your stuff, and leave as quickly as possible it would seem.

With the show team, it's a bit disappointing that I'm seeing shows I have seen before, even more disappointed to have had the same show twice on this cruise. The new "British Music Awards" show, needs a rethink, if I'm being told about the fabulous history of British Music, I would like to see those bands... Not Jess Glyne or Sam Smith (but understand this is just my taste). I do think the interpretation of Rehab is horrendous (Thomson / Peel need to reconsider that one) When it comes to the performers, I have always understood how hard it is to be a cruise ship performer (always hated the way it's used to infer that someone isn't very good). The reason I have always admired them is because you have to be able to do a lot more than sing & dance, you need to be able to "perform" a number, and that seems to be something that some of them are struggling with. There is one guy who is excellent, he has an amazing voice, and, also acts / performs to songs as well. Some of the others seems to be struggling in that area, don't get me wrong, they are very competent, but it just seems to be missing a certain something. This team are only on board for 2 weeks, before they move to another ship (they are a swing team), which may be why they don't seem particularly engaged.

But hey ... There is another week to go, maybe things will pick up!

Did a trip in Tangier, to Tetouen ... All good, until we picked up the local guide, who's main interest was getting us into shops / stalls where he got a percentage of the sales... This also involved him yelling at other traders. He also wanted tips at the end, and tried to take money out of my 10 year old daughters hand (so he ended up with nothing). The Alcudia stop was cancelled, but we got free transfers if you wanted a day out... And Destination Services did an excellent job, helping my husband get to a specific birding location.

Please excuse spelling errors (using a tiny screen with bad eyes)

On a personal note it does not bother us if the CD or Assistant talks to us or not, we have never been one for that sort of thing anyway. The entertaining team is another matter entirely, they make the difference between a very good evening or lets just go to bed.

Thanks for half time review - hope week two improves.

Enjoy

Hi all stars we did the maj on her relocation from the canaries to med at the end of April and was so disappointed in the entertainment and lack of personality from the cd and asst cd that we came home and booked the spirit in July were normal service was resumed and a good time was had by all .

We had the same again this morning .... A deck game was supposed to be happening, person arrives, takes out / half unpacks the equipment, sits at side of stage for 15 minutes, packs equipment back in bag & leaves. Unless you had your Cruise News and knew that there was something on, it was just someone sat at the side of the stage for 15 minutes. No announcement about what was happening, no chatting to anyone to get them to join in, just sat there, then left. If they don't want to do it, don't do it, but the half-hearted attempts we are currently getting is not good. On the plus side though, the staff members doing the cocktail exhibition were really enthusiastic, clearly happy to be showing off thier skills.