Zika stress

Newly weds1

My fiancé and I booked our Caribbean honeymoon some time ago and have been so looking forward to it. Unfortunately the stress of the zika virus and our desire to try to start a family of our own has taken over. We are due to sail in January from Orlando with our stops including Mexico, grand cayman, Jamaica and Barbados. Any advice regarding the risk of pesky mosquitoes or how to manage them would be greatly appreciated! We are also considering cancelling as our desire to start a family is our priority. Thanks for any advice in advance x

My fiancé and I booked our Caribbean honeymoon some time ago and have been so looking forward to it. Unfortunately the stress of the zika virus and our desire to try to start a family of our own has taken over. We are due to sail in January from Orlando with our stops including Mexico, grand cayman, Jamaica and Barbados. Any advice regarding the risk of pesky mosquitoes or how to manage them would be greatly appreciated! We are also considering cancelling as our desire to start a family is our priority. Thanks for any advice in advance x

First of all stop stressing. And no - don't cancel your cruise - you are not going to get mossie bites on board a cruise ship.

January is probably the best time and safest time to avoid mozzies.- If you were going May - September the weather is more humid and the mozzies out in full force. Mexico and Jamaica are more tropical so you might want to avoid any excursions which take you into areas like St Annes or heavy plantation.

I spend three weeks every January in the Caymans - I have never ever been bitten in daytime hours- and only use protection at night. Its a bit like midgees here - they come out dawn and dusk and in humid weather.

Grand Cayman only JUST had their first Zika case within the last few weeks.

You really are travelling at a time of year when the weather is hot, sunny and not humid. Mexico I would be more wary of of all the ports. But my advice would be to avoid excursions which take you into heavy plantation - for example a zip wire tour - where there are more chances of insects.

The absolute BEST spray - and buy it at your first port - or in fact see if you can get it on Amazon - is a spray called "OFF".

My daughter lives in the caymans', is young, married, not had a family yet - so can assure you she knows her stuff out there.

She has "OFF" in her car, in her office, at every doorway etc...

Stop stressing - just take care and enjoy!

Speak to your doctor to alleviate your fears. But honestly - Jan Feb March - even in Jamaica - the mozzies are not rife. We use Sandals in Jamaica a lot - and will never return in June - it just rains and rains and the mozzies are ugh!! Jan time - you are in the safest period - dry heat - the risk factor is miniscule ...

Final word on it - discuss it with your doctor!!

PS - Yes - Amazon uk has the Spray, this is the one my daughter (and every resident, hotel etc on cayman) uses! https://www.amazon.co.uk/22937-Active-Aerosol-Insect-Repellent/dp/B000BQWNAI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470985536&sr=8-2&keywords=off+mosquito+spray

Edited by Blondie008

You are planning to get off the ship, right? If so, the potential exposure is real. I know you are in the UK with your Belfast location and therefore run the risk of losing money by cancelling now. Do you have insurance that will cover your loss?

As someone above said, the risk is real. The advice to talk to your doctor is good. But also think about whether you'll be able to relax and enjoy yourself.

If I were you and could cancel and plan a trip someplace where Zika risk doesn't exist, I'd probably go elsewhere. Better than being on edge for my whole honeymoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is third hand information so you will want to verify- going to your doctor would be the best way to do this. I'm also getting married and am a member of a wedding forum. On the forum a lot of the ladies are concerned about zika as they are planning honeymoons and also want to try for a baby. Several of them have visited their doctor for advice, and have been told that if you do get bitten you need to wait 28 days before thinking about concieving. But after that you should be clear.

I'd say the risks are manageable, but I certainly wouldn't be trying for a baby while I was on honeymoon just in case I got bitten. I wouldn't cancel the trip though, as long as you are willing to postpone the baby making for a few weeks!

As well as the mozzie spray, consider the bracelets you can wear containing citronella (the ones by Theye are the best). Not tested them on Caribbean mozzies, but my dad normally gets bitten to death. He wore one on a holiday to Cyprus and only got bitten on one night- the night he forgot to wear the band. I've worn them on all my holidays since and never been bitten. Got eaten alive by mozzies in Majorca a few years ago so they do think I am tasty usually.

Zika is showing up in the US also. The American Red Cross has started testing units from those areas for the virus and we give negative units to pregnant women.

It is also being sexually transmitted.

If I were you I'd still go, but wear long sleeved shirts or cover ups and long pants in ports. There are fabrics that are very light weight. I'd also use a citronella based spray on the clothes and exposed areas.

Remember, though, there are plenty of other mosquito borne viruses out there. There are also plenty of things you could pick up that would not be good while pregnant. Heck, you're going to be exposed to stuff on the plane flight.

Only you can decide your level of comfort. If you're going to obsess then stay home and honeymoon in your beautiful country. If you feel you can reasonably still have a good time then go on the cruise. Practice universal precautions and you'll be fine. I would worry more about catching Noro or the flu...

Congratulations! What an exciting stage in your life!

From the WHO:

"Those planning a pregnancy should wait at least 8 weeks before trying to conceive if no signs of the Zika virus appear, or 6 months if one or both members of the couple are symptomatic."

http://Http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/zika/en/

The fact sheet also lists the symptoms to watch for. If you think you'll be comfortable on your trip and not too pre-occupied about this, go and have fun. But if you'll spend the trip (and the time before and the 8 weeks after) worrying, and you can still take a holiday even considering any cancellation fees that UK passengers pay -- maybe a change would be a good idea.

Only you and your fiance can decide how you feel. Get the facts, talk to your doctors and then do what's right for you.

Best wishes for a lovely wedding and long and happy life together!

From the WHO:

"Those planning a pregnancy should wait at least 8 weeks before trying to conceive if no signs of the Zika virus appear, or 6 months if one or both members of the couple are symptomatic."

The fact sheet also lists the symptoms to watch for. If you think you'll be comfortable on your trip and not too pre-occupied about this, go and have fun. But if you'll spend the trip (and the time before and the 8 weeks after) worrying, and you can still take a holiday even considering any cancellation fees that UK passengers pay -- maybe a change would be a good idea.

Only you and your fiance can decide how you feel. Get the facts, talk to your doctors and then do what's right for you.

Thank you for linking this. Also note that this particular mosquito is a daytime biter. Zika can live in the body for awhile and has been found to be transmittable through sexual contact with an infected male for several months after the male is exposed.

To be the most safe, if you want to start a family within 6 months from your cruise, do not go.

However, most touristy areas are great about preventing mosquitoes. They will spray, remove standing water, etc. If you do go, wear DEET bug spray, long sleeves and pants, and consider excursions that go to beach resorts rather than ones that go into neighborhoods or forests where they're less likely to spray.

Talk with your doctor before making a decision to go or not. Get his/her recommendation and then make your decision.

DH and I are in the same spot with a 10-day cruise booked in January, sailing to 4 ports that are on the CDC's list of known locations with Zika. We're in our mid-30s, so for us, waiting a few months until after our cruise isn't really an option. If you're in your 20s, then maybe waiting a few months is a possibility. Final payment for our cruise isn't until October, but I'll be talking with my doctor in the coming week to what our options are.

Talk with your doctor is the best advice I can give you. I know I'll feel more comfortable with whatever we decide to do (cancel and do something land-based or keep the cruise) after I do that. :)

So many on here are quick to advise others, with very little knowledge.

Cases in point:

1. Mosquitos can not fly to a docked boat...yea right!

2. It only stays in your system 2 weeks. Once you get it, and are a female. However it can stay in your male partner much longer and can be passed to you through unprotected intercourse.

3. Stay out of the jungle and you will be safe....That neighborhood in Miami is not in a jungle.

My advice is scrutinize the CDC web site and the Florida Department of Health web site. They have the correct information.

Weigh the risk and rewards. 7 days of fun and frolic over the potential to have a child born with a genetic deformity, such as microensephilitis.

today's fLORIDA sTATISTICS:

Travel-Related Infections of Zika

404 SO 404 PEOPLE GOT IT FROM TRAVELING TO OTHER COUNTRIES WHERE IT IS PREVALENT.

Non-Travel Related Infections of Zika

25 SO 25 PEOPEL CAUGHT IT HERE, EITHER FROM MOSQUITOS OR FROM A SEXUAL PARTNER

Infections Involving Pregnant Women

57 SO 57 PREGANT WOMEN ARE SWEATING IT OUT, AND SOME HAVE ALREADY CHOSEN TO TERMINATE THE PREGANCY

LOOK AT THE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SAFEW SEX AFTER BEING THERE OR HAVING A PARTNER WHO HAS BEEN. YOU WILL BE EITHER ABSTAINING OR PRACTICING SAFE SEX FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS.

THE ZIKA VIRUS IS NOW IN ALL BUT 4 OF THE 50 STATES, New York HAS MORE CASES THAN FLORIDA.

Check out the situation in Puerto Rico and the prognosis.

The worse thing you can do is ask those on here what they think, as many of them do not. Do your own research and decision making, and ask your family doctor or nurse. The people on here who say not to worry or just take precautions are not going to be around to comfort you or help if you end up pregnant with the zika virus. Take care of yourself.

check the charts on CDC, it has to be applied properly and also be of the right concentration, all out their is not. The main news medias are already reporting the zika virus scams, as people sell crap that will not protect you from anything. It is not just slop it on and feel protected.

The survey asked if you planned to or have cancelled a cruise due to the zika virus concerns. 6-10% said yes....probably mostly trying to be pregnant or are now pregnant, and have a cruise planned. No need for the other 90% who are not looking to be pregnant or impregnating anyone in the near future.

It is true that once you get the virus, it will run it's course through your system, and you will have immunities. So getting the virus is not a life sentence of never getting pregnant

I truly, would not go. The problem is real, they don't know how long it stays in your system and you want to get pregnant? Totally not worth the risk to your family. There are plenty of non-zika affected places to go.

I disagree with the part about "plenty of unaffected places to go". At this point, there are few and all it means is that a case hasn't been reported there yet, not that it isn't there.

The good thing about a cruise is that there are few if any bugs you experience while cruising. The speed and distance from land keeps them away. Mosquitoes are most active a bit before during and after dusk. Port stops are usually during the day. I'd wear bug spray and get back to the boat mid-afternoon. Skip any wooded/nature walking type excursion. Stay in the sun, on the beaches and in towns and I think your risk will be very minimal.

Edited by conandrob240

If you are trying to start a family, I would cancel the cruise. It is not worth the risk.

From the WHO:

Best wishes for a lovely wedding and long and happy life together!

Plus they have no idea yet how this is affecting women long term. I personally would not take the chance, if trying to start a family.

So many on here are quick to advise others, with very little knowledge.

Cases in point:

1. Mosquitos can not fly to a docked boat...yea right!

2. It only stays in your system 2 weeks. Once you get it, and are a female. However it can stay in your male partner much longer and can be passed to you through unprotected intercourse.

3. Stay out of the jungle and you will be safe....That neighborhood in Miami is not in a jungle.

This is the only point of yours I disagree with. Yes, Wynwood is not a jungle but it also isn't a beach resort that is tended to around the clock. And you'll see a big increase in spraying in the area. All the cases so far have onset dates before Florida knew about the cases. The true test will be if there are additional cases with onset dates that since the Florida knew about the first case/made recommendations.

My advice is scrutinize the CDC web site and the Florida Department of Health web site. They have the correct information.

Weigh the risk and rewards. 7 days of fun and frolic over the potential to have a child born with a genetic deformity, such as microensephilitis.

today's fLORIDA sTATISTICS:

Travel-Related Infections of Zika

404 SO 404 PEOPLE GOT IT FROM TRAVELING TO OTHER COUNTRIES WHERE IT IS PREVALENT.

Non-Travel Related Infections of Zika

25 SO 25 PEOPEL CAUGHT IT HERE, EITHER FROM MOSQUITOS OR FROM A SEXUAL PARTNER

Infections Involving Pregnant Women

57 SO 57 PREGANT WOMEN ARE SWEATING IT OUT, AND SOME HAVE ALREADY CHOSEN TO TERMINATE THE PREGANCY

LOOK AT THE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SAFEW SEX AFTER BEING THERE OR HAVING A PARTNER WHO HAS BEEN. YOU WILL BE EITHER ABSTAINING OR PRACTICING SAFE SEX FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS.

THE ZIKA VIRUS IS NOW IN ALL BUT 4 OF THE 50 STATES, New York HAS MORE CASES THAN FLORIDA.

Check out the situation in Puerto Rico and the prognosis.

The worse thing you can do is ask those on here what they think, as many of them do not. Do your own research and decision making, and ask your family doctor or nurse. The people on here who say not to worry or just take precautions are not going to be around to comfort you or help if you end up pregnant with the zika virus. Take care of yourself.

Number one takeaway from this, as Into Cruising mentioned. Consult your health care professional and do your research. There is a lot of hysteria and scare tactics out there (and on here) mixed in with the truth. We all want to help you but this board may end up confusing you more than you'd expect.

I wouldnt chance it or you'll be stressing out your whole pregnancy and God forbid, God forbid... It's really a bad birth defect. These babies are very deformed and in almost constant pain. I'm not a medical professional but I've had five pregnancies. You worry about every little thing. The last thing you want to worry about is whether your husband got bitten, didn't even realize it, and is now a carrier. And the amount of unknowns is greater than the amount of knowns at this point. Doctors and epidemiologists are going by which clusters of deformed babies are popping up and extrapolating from there. It's asymptomatic most of the time so they usually can't find a population of affected people to study, only after the fact are they able to track where it's spreading- i.e.; the clusters of babies with terribly shrunken heads. Epidemiologists have never seen a virus spread from vector (mosquito) to person, and then person to person that causes deformities like this. I'm going on a cruise next June to Zika effected areas (well hello when you start with the fact that Miami is affected....) but I'm off child bearing age and am in complete denial about the Guillain-Barre risk. But I would absolutely not do it if I was planning to have a baby.

Just MHO. Canada/New England or Alaska are great cruises. Oh and btw don't evaluate ports based on whether Zika has been found there at this point because it's spreading so fast- I would consider any tropical area to be suspect.