Buying a scooter need information

tigercat

I own a 3-wheel Go-Go Elite Traveler Plus and take it on airplanes land vacations and cruise ships. Buy owning vs. renting it's always available to travel through the airport and other long walk areas. It also pays for itself rather quickly vs. renting one for each cruise. Buy what feels comfortable, but I suggest you take it with you when you travel.

I had an issue with an airline destroying my rollator once. Now that my mobility has gotten worse I always take my own scooter if we drive to a port, but rent when we fly. The thought of something happening to my scooter when baggage handlers load it onto a plane scares the stuffing out of me - Not so much on my way home, but I can't imagine getting off the plane ready to board the ship, only to find your scooter won't work!

My hubby says I'm paranoid, and it's very unlikely that it could happen again. So I'm curious...have you ever had an issue flying with your scooter? Do you check it with your luggage and use their wheelchair to get to the gate, or check it at the gate? Any info would be appreciated.

I had an issue with an airline destroying my rollator once. Now that my mobility has gotten worse I always take my own scooter if we drive to a port, but rent when we fly. The thought of something happening to my scooter when baggage handlers load it onto a plane scares the stuffing out of me - Not so much on my way home, but I can't imagine getting off the plane ready to board the ship, only to find your scooter won't work!

My hubby says I'm paranoid, and it's very unlikely that it could happen again. So I'm curious...have you ever had an issue flying with your scooter? Do you check it with your luggage and use their wheelchair to get to the gate, or check it at the gate? Any info would be appreciated.

Have a friend that has had 3 scooters damaged by the airlines. Two had to be completely replaced. The 3rd was repaired but never the same since . Thus the reason I do not being my own onto planes and rent one instead.

Do not check it with the luggage . Drive it to the gate. However make certain that you have affixed instruction's as to how to place the scooter in "Freewheel Mode" as well as that it must be placed back the "locked mode" once properly secured in the cargo bay of the plane. Ground crew are not permitted to drive/ride the mobility scooters and power chairs. So if you don't have instructions as to how to operate it in freewheel mode as well placed back in the locked position securely affixed to it than when the ground crew forces pushes or pulls it the scooter will be damaged.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Texas Rices:

I have brought my Travelscoot on about 15 different flights over the past few years with no damage whatsoever. I drive it right up to the door of the plane and the ground crew carry it down the stairs to the hold. When I get off the plane it is delivered to me right outside the door of the plane (where the strollers and wheelchairs are brought).

My Travelscoot only weighs about 35 pounds so they can lift it and carry it. Try not to worry too much.

Edited by mexico8

I am paranoid also and that is why when I saw an ad for the Solax Transformer I ordered one immediately. My wife loves it and I love the fact that it does not have to go below with the luggage. With the push of a button it folds up small enough that I roll it on the plane like a piece of luggage and sit it in the bottom of a closet. See my previous post!

Texas Rices:

I have brought my Travelscoot on about 15 different flights over the past few years with no damage whatsoever. I drive it right up to the door of the plane and the ground crew carry it down the stairs to the hold. When I get off the plane it is delivered to me right outside the door of the plane (where the strollers and wheelchairs are brought).

My Travelscoot only weighs about 35 pounds so they can lift it and carry it. Try not to worry too much.

Thanks! Mine weighs more than that...around 70 lbs. so they wouldn't want to carry it very far - they would most likely try to push it. If it's not in free-wheel pushing will damage the motor, and if it's not taken out of free-wheel after loading, it will roll around in the cargo hold...so it sounds like my situation is a bit more complicated.

Thanks for the advice! But I'm not the one who is stressing - it's my hubby who stresses every time I ask him to rent a scooter while a perfectly good one is sitting at home. LOL :p

Have a friend that has had 3 scooters damaged by the airlines. Two had to be completely replaced. The 3rd was repaired but never the same since . Thus the reason I do not being my own onto planes and rent one instead.

Do not check it with the luggage . Drive it to the gate. However make certain that you have affixed instruction's as to how to place the scooter in "Freewheel Mode" as well as that it must be placed back the "locked mode" once properly secured in the cargo bay of the plane. Ground crew are not permitted to drive/ride the mobility scooters and power chairs. So if you don't have instructions as to how to operate it in freewheel mode as well placed back in the locked position securely affixed to it than when the ground crew forces pushes or pulls it the scooter will be damaged.

THANKS! Great idea...I'll think about attaching instructions (probably with pictures, just to be safe...LOL). I'm still not sure I'm 100% comfortable with taking mine, but maybe I could rent a manual wheelchair (which is a lot less expensive) as a backup. Hmmm.... :rolleyes:

I am paranoid also and that is why when I saw an ad for the Solax Transformer I ordered one immediately. My wife loves it and I love the fact that it does not have to go below with the luggage. With the push of a button it folds up small enough that I roll it on the plane like a piece of luggage and sit it in the bottom of a closet. See my previous post!

WOW! This is a great option! I'll share this with my DH as soon as he gets home. Thank you!!! :)

WOW! This is a great option! I'll share this with my DH as soon as he gets home. Thank you!!! :)

It is great for all travel. It weighs about 56 lbs so my wife cannot lift it but I can fold it up and lift it in to the trunk of the car. We were recently in New York City before our cruise on Anthem and she rode it everywhere and another great thing was if we had to take a taxi we did not have to get one that would accommodate a full size scooter. I just folded it and stuck it in the taxis trunk.

A couple of times I have had to do a lot of talking to convince the airline personnel that it will go in the plane but after they see it fold up there was no problem. On one flight even the pilot had to come out and watch it unfold.

One more question. For the Go Go Traveler how is it going up the ramp to the ship. Both for embarkation, debarkation and at ports. Will it go up the ramp okay? The embarkation and debarkation is a longer and sometimes steep ramp so was wondering if I would have a problem riding it up.

tigercat

One more question. For the Go Go Traveler how is it going up the ramp to the ship. Both for embarkation, debarkation and at ports. Will it go up the ramp okay? The embarkation and debarkation is a longer and sometimes steep ramp so was wondering if I would have a problem riding it up.

tigercat

Hi tigercat,

I never have a problem using my scooter for embarkation and debarkation, as those ramps are very gradual and wrap back and forth to make the incline/decline.

In the ports this can vary depending on high/low tide which can change the slope of the gangway to the pier. Going down the gangway from the ship to the pier is never a problem, although the crew often will grab the tiller handle and back you down. When returning to the ship from port, if at high tide and the gangway is steep, you may need the crew to assist with a push while you're under power. You may bottom out at the hinge point near the top of the gangway and require help to lift your scooter over it, which the crew will assist. Just make sure your batteries are fully charged before each port excursion. Enjoy your new scooter !

• 2 weeks later...

We bought a Enhance Mobility Transformer Scooter for $2200 and it is pretty solid. Folds up with a garage door type opener. Buy the case to carry it in if you get one as Airline employees throw every thing underhand. It does not have the turning radius of a trycycle type.

My scooter is now pink and blinged up. It is me. My husband and son's thought that the bright red was okay but I don't like red. I love pink. It looks really nice. I have been out with it to some stores to make sure I know how to handle it and it is a lot easier than the big clunky one's at the store. I am able to really turn it, and watch the speed. I now have to go some place that has an elevator so I can practice that as well. Since I was getting really good at the big one's this small one is so easy to handle.

And my insurance paid the full price for it.

tigercat

My scooter is now pink and blinged up. It is me. My husband and son's thought that the bright red was okay but I don't like red. I love pink. It looks really nice. I have been out with it to some stores to make sure I know how to handle it and it is a lot easier than the big clunky one's at the store. I am able to really turn it, and watch the speed. I now have to go some place that has an elevator so I can practice that as well. Since I was getting really good at the big one's this small one is so easy to handle.

And my insurance paid the full price for it.

tigercat

That sounds so fun! I hope you enjoy your new scooter on the ship. I bet you will. It is not really that hard to handle the elevator. If I have room when I get on it, I try to get turned around so that I can go out forward instead of backing up.

Have a great cruise!