inside cabin

wendy wu

Lots of interesting views and insights for insides. We've book our first inside because for the extra cost a balcony does not make sense for our Alaska cruise. Last time we did Alaska we spent way more time in public spaces and seldom on the balcony.

We also learned that for mid-June to Alaska it stays light out really late - like 1am. Never really gets dark and I prefer total blackout for sleeping. We too keep a little LED flashlight by the bedside. The comments about light under the door are concerning - probably have to stuff towels along the bottom of the door. The little power light on the cable box in our bedroom bothered me so much I put electrical tape over it. :rolleyes:

My parents always did insides and were fine with that - even after we "upgraded" them by surprise for the 60th anniversary. So we figured we should try it at least once to compare. Now that we live near a port we plan to cruise more often and the savings on insides could allow that.

IMHO, an Alaska cruise is one of the only ones that a balcony is essential. We saw whales, as well as wildlife (moose, bear) on shore while cruising in the inside passage. Also, the public decks get very crowded when cruising around the glaciers.

My view is that the only things that matter in cabins are size and location.

HAL, Carnival, Celebrity all have nice-sized standard insides. I study deck plans with vigor and have found good compromises.

On certain Carnival ships, including Miracle, Legend and Pride -- and surely others -- my preferred category are 4K cabins. They are balcony cabins without a balcony. Instead, they have french doors which open to lifeboats that usually block the view. These are great cabins. The price is right; they are sold as insides.

Certain HAL ships have huge inside Category Js on the main deck. Recommended.

Ditto for OVs that have a window overlooking the wake, and then a sizable deck outside with loungers. We'll have one of those (only two such cabins on the Zaandam) at Christmas.

On our most recent cruise on the HAL Rotterdam we had an inside J on the lower Promenade deck, a favorite. We were upgraded to 2670 on the deck below, an OV. A great cabin.

IMHO, an Alaska cruise is one of the only ones that a balcony is essential. We saw whales, as well as wildlife (moose, bear) on shore while cruising in the inside passage.

Our experience was the "good stuff" was always on the other side of the ship - so we were seldom on the balcony but instead up on top where we could see both ways. When I plug in USB cables it should be 50-50 but I get it wrong 2/3 of the time. Same with the balcony - 2/3 of he time the critters are on the other side. :rolleyes:

Our must have balcony criteria is anywhere warm so we can stargaze before bed on balmy tropical nights.